Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

People have weird opinions on COVID-19 when it comes to Australia vs NZ.

Australia has 7265 cases, NZ 1154. There are 5m people in NZ, not 25m. NZ with 1154 cases and 22 deaths are slightly worse off than Qld (1062, 6) and they are comparable populations. Australia has actually smashed COVID-19 since the end of March. It's really only NSW and Vic that have let the team down with community transmission. There are fewer cases in Hong Kong despite it being a small island of 7.5m people that is part of China. That's more remarkable than NZ, but not as newsworthy.

Super progressive lefty darling Ardern and happy clappy nimrod ScoMo (and the state leaders, Aus is a much bigger place with 3 levels of govt not 2) are far apart on a lot of things but on COVID-19 they really aren't.
Or you could just give her credit for a job well done.

What, exactly, in your humble opinion, makes her a super progressive leftie, and, for bonus points, why is that a bad thing?

Perhaps I should revise the syntax to darling of the super progressive lefties. That's the point I intended to convey. She is a young woman with a baby who says nice things, which is why people fawn over her. If for some reason she had step down as PM (say she actually had COVID-19 or something) and NZ achieved the same result with the 2IC running the show people would not be fawning over him.

Perhaps I should revise the syntax to darling of the super progressive lefties. That's the point I intended to convey. She is a young woman with a baby who says nice things, which is why people fawn over her. If for some reason she had step down as PM (say she actually had COVID-19 or something) and NZ achieved the same result with the 2IC running the show people would not be fawning over him.

Not sure if you're aware but we do fawn over the Health Minister here. He would have been the 2IC.

His name is David Clark. He even admired to and offered to stand down during our lockdown over his own breech (Interesting based on recent events in Britian where their health minister did the same thing and chose to defend himself)

He was a major factor in our success, so please dont assume Jacinda is the only one getting accolades. But I can undertand your frustration of her getting positive attention.

Not sure if you're aware but we do fawn over the Health Minister here. He would have been the 2IC.

His name is David Clark. He even admired to and offered to stand down during our lockdown over his own breech (Interesting based on recent events in Britian where their health minister did the same thing and chose to defend himself)

He was a major factor in our success, so please dont assume Jacinda is the only one getting accolades. But I can undertand your frustration of her getting positive attention.

The Health Minister is not the Deputy PM, as I'm sure you know. But good try.

The reality is that Australia and NZ are lucky due to small populations and isolation from the rest of the world. People will gush over Ardern and then 5 minutes later complain about ScoMo and Dan Andrews or whoever. It's actually pretty laughable.

You can 'understand' (ha) away, but you know as well as I do if NZ had a bad run with COVID like Sweden (comparable country, minus the isolated borders) that right wingers would be lining up to potshot whatever Ardern did.

The Health Minister is not the Deputy PM, as I'm sure you know. But good try.

The reality is that Australia and NZ are lucky due to small populations and isolation from the rest of the world. People will gush over Ardern and then 5 minutes later complain about ScoMo and Dan Andrews or whoever. It's actually pretty laughable.

You can 'understand' (ha) away, but you know as well as I do if NZ had a bad run with COVID like Sweden (comparable country, minus the isolated borders) that right wingers would be lining up to potshot whatever Ardern did.

Damn you are quick, well done. Although its not a stretch that Winston Peters would refer to him for all his advice...like...Adern did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nationalism is such a weird concept. Its like hey, you, you were born on this specific bit of land so you should defend it till you die.

You and my wife would get along well!

1593981485795.png

For the whole electorate, Labour and National were neck-and-neck, then coronavirus, then handy party lead.

75 days to go until the election? Barring a monumental catastrophe, I can't see Labour losing, and I haven't seen any Jacinda-polling, but the Nationals would be going after her cabinet, not her, she's too loved surely?

The latest National party leader has quit after just over 50 days due to...well, his party being an absolute circus.

Not sure what they can do now to beat Labour in the next election, outside of somehow exposing Jacinda as a child trafficker or something.

The newest leader of the National party, the one presumably going head to head with Ardern(assuming she lasts that long as nationals leader) has already made a bit of a goof up. Claimed a 1kg block of cheese is $5, when its actually $10-17. You probably think thats not a big deal, but if she wants to paint herself as a "leader of the people" this isnt a great look.

Also, meme potential is through the roof in NZ politics right now!
1594936357319.png

This guy?

This guy?

Yep, he stood down 3 weeks ago after acknowledging his mistake during the quarantine and chose to stand down once things were more stable.

Also from the article:
Clark was dropped to the bottom of Ardern’s cabinet rankings after he took his family to the beach during lockdown, in breach of the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back