NT Jacinta Nampijinpa Price

Remove this Banner Ad

4 of 17 targets on track to be met within the decade.

And the govt will spend $60m on preserving languages.

At the end of their term things will be worse than they are now.
Anyone with any commonsense knows its going to get worse, its a never ending cycle of excuses and stupidity but please don't express this on this forum. Heavens forbid we don't want to rock the group think on here.

Anyone with any commonsense knows its going to get worse, its a never ending cycle of excuses and stupidity but please don't express this on this forum. Heavens forbid we don't want to rock the group think on here.
i was trying to advise hairy o its best not to engage when your met with continued hostility
Let's not and say we did, hey.

I don’t agree with her methods but agree with the result of the ban.

At the end of the day these communities are isolated, lack services and are vulnerable.
The threat of alcohol related violence puts peoples lives at risk.

I agree that it has to be a community decision, but what happens if it’s not?

For the purposes of objectivity, here are a few links:

This link details the history of indigenous outcomes, the current goals, and whether we are meeting those goals.

This one has us having met 12 of the 19 outcomes on the page, being on track for the remaining 7.

This is the summary of the findings in the Close the Gap report.

The following is from the section on education:

This demonstrates that centring First Nations education within communities is working to improve outcomes, as opposed to getting worse.

This one is one of the papers prepared for the Closing the Gap report; if you click on the link, it will download the PDF.

All this to state that no, the situation is not getting worse. The situation is getting better, slowly. There is a need for consideration of and adjustment based on new information certainly, but people behaving as though there has been no improvement are demonstrating ignorance. Why they're demonstrating ignorance is entirely up to them to decide, but circumstantial empathy for Aboriginals based on partisanship certainly suggests a few things.

Education in country is the key.
But you must have meaningful employment and purpose in communities or you lose the young to cities etc..

At the end of the day these communities are isolated, lack services and are vulnerable.
So are many country towns.

The threat of alcohol related violence puts peoples lives at risk.
The threat of alcohol related violence puts everyone's lives at risk, regardless of whether they live in an Aboriginal community or not. Why is it only appropriate to force on Aboriginal communities but not on the rest of the population?

I agree that it has to be a community decision, but what happens if it’s not?
Then it shouldn't happen. It's the fundamental reason why we don't have an alcohol ban across all of Australian society. Government decisions have to have the consent of the governed, or they're oppressive and anti-democratic. And in this particular case, imposing harsh rules on Aboriginal people out of a notion that they aren't mature enough to make decisions for themselves has a very sad and destructive history.

Why is she treating indigenous Australians like they're the only one with a booze problem? It's no different to Hawthorn asking things of our indigenous players that they wouldn't dream of demanding of others.

There were booze problems at sporting events and they’ve controlled them
by limiting the amount of Alcohol you can buy, Light beers etc…

Are you saying alcohol in aboriginal communities should be allowed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were booze problems at sporting events and they’ve controlled them
by limiting the amount of Alcohol you can buy, Light beers etc…

Are you saying alcohol in aboriginal communities should be allowed?
Yes, unless the community themselves want it banned a blanket ban on alcohol for one race only is a terrible idea.

Yes, unless the community themselves want it banned a blanket ban on alcohol for one race only is a terrible idea.

Is she suggesting no aboriginals can drink alcohol? I missed that bit.
I thought this was about aboriginal communities in remote parts of Australia that dont have the services and support to provide a safe community when Alcohol is available.

Again I don’t like a ban…

The rules should be determined by the community and encouraged by extra funding in those communities if they chose to be a dry community.
Taking funding away from Wet communities.

Is she suggesting no aboriginals can drink alcohol? I missed that bit.
I thought this was about aboriginal communities in remote parts of Australia that dont have the services and support to provide a safe community when Alcohol is available.

Again I don’t like a ban…

The rules should be determined by the community and encouraged by extra funding in those communities if they chose to be a dry community.
Taking funding away from Wet communities.
What about problem drinking in other areas of the country, do we apply those sort of rules to them as well? We've seen enough problematic alcohol related behaviour at Parliament House to suggest that if that was a remote indigenous community we'd be talking banning booze.

What about problem drinking in other areas of the country, do we apply those sort of rules to them as well? We've seen enough problematic alcohol related behaviour at Parliament House to suggest that if that was a remote indigenous community we'd be talking banning booze.

Do we put police stations and hospitals and rehabilitation centers in every community?

Do we put police stations and hospitals and rehabilitation centers in every community?
What does that have to do with making laws based on race? That's my objection to this, we have a problem with alcohol in this country and for some reason we seem making it all about one group of people and it seems we're doing it on the basis of their ethnicity which is textbook racism.

What does that have to do with making laws based on race? That's my objection to this, we have a problem with alcohol in this country and for some reason we seem making it all about one group of people and it seems we're doing it on the basis of their ethnicity which is textbook racism.
have you lived in a community when there is a tribal war happening?

These communities are vulnerable…. There are plenty of place where people can leave the dry communities and drink if that’s what they want to do … these places normally have the resources to cope.
Just don’t return drunk.

30% of inmates in Berrimah prison were from the community I lived in… it was a dangerous place and it was supposedly a dry community, if you want to add unlimited supply of alcohol to it, then your welcome to help clean up the mess, because those supplying services now would leave, comparing it to Cronulla is just naive …

Remove this Banner Ad

Back