Jack Anthony

Remove this Banner Ad

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jack Anthony has had some ok moments for Subiaco at CHF but generally struggled. Two bags of four goals and one of 3 goals 4 behinds early in the year. It seems with Hughes (5 goals on the weekend) and Broadhurst (their leading goal kicker) being the preferred goal options. Got me thinking with the recent move of Sibosado from Defence to Forward. This has been mentioned before and trialed briefly for a half in a game where he barely got a stat. But from all reports he did ok at full back without really touching ball.

I had a look through a few of his games last year. You can search through further games for Collingwood VFL team but below are a couple of the games that Anthony played in defence (particularly their final) and played very well. Almost sounds like a different player. I think it is time to move Anthony to defence.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/101623/default.aspx
John Anthony (14k, 8h): Our second best. Played on Brad Fisher. Although Fisher ended the day with three goals, he only kicked one or two on Jack. I thought Jack was terrific finding his own footy.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/elimination final/tabid/16595/default.aspx
John Anthony was a shining light at full back, standing the in form Brad Fisher for most of the afternoon. Although Fisher managed three goals on him, all three could hardly be attributed to any wrongdoing on Anthony's behalf. Anthony managed 24-possessions and generated plenty of drive from the back half.
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/100112/default.aspx
John Anthony (10k, 5h, 1m, 1t): Played in defence on Jason Cloke and restricted him to one goal. Very good in the air and provided a lot of run.

There were other games where he had 9 - 10 spoils and a lot more touches than he is getting for Subiaco.

Feb 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
I remember the first game Jack was switched to defence in the VFL last year against Box Hill. He was B.O.G. with about 30 touches and ended up getting tagged in the last qtr.

There is nothing to lose by putting him in defence, to be honest he is hardly setting the world on fine in attack. It is best to assign him a task and demand that he carries it out. That is the way we are going to get the best out of this player. I dont think that he is fully committed to playing for Freo (ala Stuart Anderson-A real blast from the past for the old fans) and that is why I am glad he is playing in the WAFL.

Dont get me wrong, we need in him in the top side kicking goals. But until he pulls his finger out, he should not be handed a game. Fingers crossed we have the same success that we did with Taz. The only problem is that our defensive coach is now doing an excellent job leading Geelong! :(

Sman-21

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dont forget Anthony doesnt train with his WAFL team so it must be hard for players to understand him an read his leads an for him to understand his teammates strengths.
Didnt have that problem with collingwood vfl team.

One of the many reasons we need a reserves team.

But should def be trialled down back since Harvey doesnt like forwards

Oct 3, 2006
Block 345
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Glasgow Celtic, Roys FFC, NUFC,
Dont forget Anthony doesnt train with his WAFL team so it must be hard for players to understand him an read his leads an for him to understand his teammates strengths.

Can just see it now . Harvey turns him into an All Australian Full Back and a year later he's crying out to go back to Collingwood to replace...Tarrant

Feb 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Can just see it now . Harvey turns him into an All Australian Full Back and a year later he's crying out to go back to Collingwood to replace...Tarrant

And all we get for him is Pick 55 Even though he threatens to retire if anyone else picks him up. The AFL will deny that there is anything like Draft manipulation. The Dockers get HOSED again!:mad::thumbsdown:

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots

Kidding, Harvey loves forwards, as long as they play in the midfield.

(sorry, jokes getting old, but couldn't resist :eek:).

BTW, agree with everything else there.

bruzaar62

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa

Ive watched a couple of Subi games on the 2 and a lot of his leads are not honoured/ignored possibly due to him not training with the Subi boys,have noticed Broadhurst(especially) not passing off to him....maybe he's not that popular in the Den.
I agree we should give him a crack down back if his form warrants

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Whatever it is (fitting in, depression, workrate/desire or better suited to defence) I would like something sorted out. He seemed ok in the preseason but has gone backwards since then.

Have to agree about these AFL reserves teams, much as I love the WAFL and watching the sharks it must truly suck as an AFL player from outside WA having to rock up and play with a bunch of blokes you do not know and relying on them to trust you enough and pass of to you so you can push for selection in the senior team. As a forward reliant on supply from up the ground it would be particularly bad and can see it not helping fitting in.

Reveler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2005
Fremantle, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago, 49ers
isn't the rumour that the guy is an ass clown and no one at the club likes him? doesn't fit in well with others at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sman-21

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That was how he was seen at collingwood.
Could be the same here.
So with a personality like his it would be extremely hard to play WAFL with guys he never sees until gameday.

So if hes getting ignored up forward for those reasons an others even more reason to be trialled down back in WAFL for a few weeks.

From the small bits ive seen of him playing for freo.
He crashed the packs hard an pressured ok up forward.
Didnt look lazy out there.

Beams and McCarthy?

You got the wrong grand finalist there Lach

Case only started this morning.

His name was under a suppression order regarding the case, so I won't mention the defendants name. Just Jack himself is strongly connected he is in no trouble though

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
And all we get for him is Pick 55 Even though he threatens to retire if anyone else picks him up. The AFL will deny that there is anything like Draft manipulation. The Dockers get HOSED again!
Hey, we did give pick 44 for 45 as well!

We used 45 on Fasolo, who probably averaged more kicks and scoring shots in his time on ground than North Melbourne on Sunday, but that is beside the point.

jc37

All Australian
Jan 4, 2007
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually want to see jack do well for freo. He has a bit of a personality order but once the players understand him he means well and is a good guy.

I have always thought he was a full back where you can be a little undersized. forward wise he is a guy who can pinch hit and it was an accident we played him there and he did quite well. whist being a beautiful kick of the football he sometimes does not always hit the best option.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only role I can see for Anthony in our team in the next few years is a last resort option if we get a catastrophic injury toll down back or forward (i.e. all players over 190cm are injured). I don't think he will be happy with that.

If Sibo is elevated, and he and Faulks can get their fitness up over the next pre-season, I would imagine that makes even more KPP that Anthony is behind.

He might be of some use in several years when Grover and McPharlin are both retired, but in the meantime I'm not sure he is going to offer much more than being a relatively expensive list clogger that will be lucky to play a few times per year.

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Mandurah Football Club
The only role I can see for Anthony in our team in the next few years is a last resort option if we get a catastrophic injury toll down back or forward (i.e. all players over 190cm are injured). I don't think he will be happy with that.

If Sibo is elevated, and he and Faulks can get their fitness up over the next pre-season, I would imagine that makes even more KPP that Anthony is behind.

He might be of some use in several years when Grover and McPharlin are both retired, but in the meantime I'm not sure he is going to offer much more than being a relatively expensive list clogger that will be lucky to play a few times per year.

sibbo will be delisted at the end of the year, dont know why everyone is so hopeful on him :confused:

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals

Disagree. JA is young and obviously sorting some things out, I think he'll come around. Sibo will be delisted before JA. Faulks is only a defender, JA can play both ends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back