Jack Anthony

Remove this Banner Ad

The only role I can see for Anthony in our team in the next few years is a last resort option if we get a catastrophic injury toll down back or forward (i.e. all players over 190cm are injured). I don't think he will be happy with that.

That is now and he is not getting a game.

Hi, I know this has been posted to death but is there any update on Jack? Don't see him in any comments or WAFL, is he still playing, any idea about next year. Such a pity as he promised a lot a couple of years ago

Hi, I know this has been posted to death but is there any update on Jack? Don't see him in any comments or WAFL, is he still playing, any idea about next year. Such a pity as he promised a lot a couple of years ago

Is out injured, Neck injury from memory. Should be close to getting back to WAFL.

Hope Anthony gets a chance to make something of himself at Freo but its certainly not looking good so far.

Same here. I'd really like to see him get a game at FB. That was his original position apparently, and by all accounts he's played very well there.

With the forwards they've got at Subi I think he struggles to get the ball kicked to him much. We need depth in our key backs, but also some drive out of there as well. Faulks is more of a stopper. From what I've heard, Jack is an effective stopper, but uses the ball particularly well. If he isn't a long term answer in the forward line, he could be one in the back line. So I'd like to see Jack get a run at fullback in one of the last two games... especially if we don't get the win this week.

I think he'll come good. Harvs giving him one game out of the next two could be a nice carrot to dangle to ensure he's switched on and ready to go next season. Either way, I back him to come good.

Think Harvs could have done a bit more to back the bloke, rather than bringing him in and dumping him the next game, twice in a row. Hopefully he'll get the chance to prove himself next season.

So if Grover retires this year, what would the back line look like next season with JA in

FB Anthony SNOS Faulks

HB XXX McPharlin XXX

Faulks as the small forward stopper?

And if something like above worked out, would make finding a key forward a priority

HF Balla Pavlich Mayne

FF Walters ???? Clarke/Sandi

OR

HF Balla ????/Haughton Mayne

FF Walters Pavlich Clarke/Sandi

This is what I see happening: JA goes to FB where he will "reignite" his career. Plays his best footy ever. Decides he wants to leave and go home back to Collingwood to take over a recently retired Tarrant. JA makes AA and everyone in Melbourne jizzes over this newly re-invented JA.

So if Grover retires this year, what would the back line look like next season with JA in

FB Anthony SNOS Faulks

HB XXX McPharlin XXX

Fair point (if that was your point). Hard to fit both Faulks and JA in the back 50.

I'd like to see this for a few games next season to see if JA is an option there, and what he can contribute.

FB McPharlin JA XXX
HB XXX SNOS XXX

Faulks: WAFL

With Elvis defending the best small forward. Not suggesting it be for the whole season, as SNOS would be our first choice fullback.

With SNOS' game against Buddy we know he is able to play at CHF, so is some chance of being a longer term replacement for Elvis. I'd like to see if JA or Faulks will be our longer term fullback, with us shifting SNOS to CHF.

If we can't find a spot for JA as a KPF, I think it'd be a waste to not try him out as a KPB. Especially if his field kicking is as good as I've heard from Pies supporters.

And if something like above worked out, would make finding a key forward a priority

HF Balla Pavlich Mayne

OR

HF Balla Pavlich Mayne

FF Mello Kep Clarke/Sandi

MJ: WAFL

Swapping Mello for Walters gives us three aggressive small forwards to apply pressure, and when Clarke is playing forward he's a very good chaser as well. Sandi not so much, but he'll be the first string ruckman. Clarke to relieve in the ruck, and play a bit of time in the midfield/wing if it suits. Kep applies good pressure, takes a good mark and is a straight kick. Pav back where he should be.

I think there'd be quite a few opposition backlines that'd look at that forward line and experience a bit of the old sphincter quiver.

Everyone needs to get over the need for instant gratification. JA is only 23 years old. He is just 3 months older than Peter Faulks. He is 4 months younger than Alex Silvagni. He's still young, he's still learning and he's still developing.

How about we at least give him the chance to play as a permanent forward at Fremantle, before giving up and turning him into something we currently have an abundance of. Until Grover and McPharlin do actually retire, he won't be getting a game as a defender anymore than he will as a forward.

With Clarke looking the goods and our KPF no longer needing to play as a back-up ruckman Anthony will be right back in contention next year. Particularly given our forward line needs to be completely re-structured over the pre-season. He will be competing with Bradley, Johnson, Houghton and...that's it.

Give him some time FFS.

With Elvis defending the best small forward. Not suggesting it be for the whole season, as SNOS would be our first choice fullback.

I like the idea of McPharlin playing a Scarlett type role in the backline. If Silvagni and/or Faulks are getting beaten he can step up, otherwise he can just be the third man up, set up the play and generally just be a pain in the ass for the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone needs to get over the need for instant gratification. JA is only 23 years old. He is just 3 months older than Peter Faulks. He is 4 months younger than Alex Silvagni. He's still young, he's still learning and he's still developing.

How about we at least give him the chance to play as a permanent forward at Fremantle, before giving up and turning him into something we currently have an abundance of. Until Grover and McPharlin do actually retire, he won't be getting a game as a defender anymore than he will as a forward.

With Clarke looking the goods and our KPF no longer needing to play as a back-up ruckman Anthony will be right back in contention next year. Particularly given our forward line needs to be completely re-structured over the pre-season. He will be competing with Bradley, Johnson, Houghton and...that's it.

Give him some time FFS.

No problem. I understand your point. Am aware of Jack's age. Regardless, unlike Silvagni (and to a much lesser extent, Faulks) he hasn't really had the chance to prove himself with games in our lineup.

Playing in Subi's forward line isn't going to give him the best chance of showing what he's got as he's competing for the ball against Broadhurst and now Hughes.

But my point is this... if he can't get a game as a KPF, he should have the chance to play as a KPB. If Kep pushes him out of the forward line, he should get a shot in the back line. I'd rather him in the team as a swingman than out of the team as a depth key forward.

I like the idea of McPharlin playing a Scarlett type role in the backline. If Silvagni and/or Faulks are getting beaten he can step up, otherwise he can just be the third man up, set up the play and generally just be a pain in the ass for the opposition.

I like it. Fact is he can play on most smalls or can play as the third tall as you say, depending on match ups. He can probably do the most damage in the role you suggest, but if needs be he can match up on a dangerous small/mid forward (e.g. against Carlton). Using him that way gives us a look at our KPB succession plan as well.

FB Anthony SNOS Faulks

HB XXX McPharlin XXX

Haven't seen enough of Faulks to know if he can fill that role but that would be ideal. Otherwise it's too tall and Anthony stays in the WAFL.

It's just as likely that Grover will go on and Faulks and JA will be insurance and linger in the WAFL.

HF Balla Pavlich Mayne

OR

Our start to last year was built around frontal pressure, hunting the footy, and pace in the forward line. I'd be returning deBoer to the forward line and the flank would be a good spot for Morra to slot back in. So that's - Morabito, Mayne, Ballantyne, Pavlich, deBoer + hopefully one of the young blokes has a big summer and can cement a spot (anyone who can take a mark and lay a tackle).

Fair point Prattsta but the reality is that when someone switches clubs there's added pressure. Croad would have been the same age when the club gave up on him and shipped him back to the Hawks.

Give him some time FFS.

The problem is that we need atleast 2 preferably 3 tall backs and if Pav's going to play predominantly forward there might not be a spot for a guy with one string to his bow unless his defensive pressure is top shelf (not sure if it is or isn't). Otherwise the club should go with a utility type as the second marking option (Johnson/Clarke/Kepler/McPhee/Silvagni).

Hopefully with no injuries to the midfield next year Broughton can go back to the backline, he is a good midfielder and capable of getting a stack of the ball, but we need him to become the lockdown defender on opposition smalls we so badly lack.

Broughton Faulks Silvagni
Duffield McPharlin Suban/Mzungu/Ibbotson

I don't think JA will be at Freo next year (and if he is it needs to be at FF) and I don't think Roger will play on either.

Grover in for Faulks if he isn't ready but truthfully he should have cemented his spot in the backline early next year if he's going to have any kind of long-term career with us.

Duffield also needs to seriously extract the digit and go back to the rebounding maestro of last year. We have the foundations of an excellent and versatile defence IMO.

I think everyone is underrating Faulks as well as JA.

The club obviously knows what it has and is molding those players, they'll have been in our system for a season and next year I think will contribute a hell of a lot more, both with a better fitness base and a better idea of how we structure up.

I don't think JA will be at Freo next year (and if he is it needs to be at FF) and I don't think Roger will play on either.

Anthony is contracted and no other club would want him so that would mean de-listing him and paying him out which will only happen if the rumours of him being a knob are correct. If he has fitted in well at the club and working hard but simply can't get a game he'll be retained.

Give him some time FFS.

He's pretty limited as a Fwd, but he does have a golden boot which covers up some of his shortcomings, we recruited him as a defender (top 30 pick iirc) and only played him fwd out of need, i reckon he'll play his best footy as defender going fwd, he'll surprise a few of you guys i reckon.

How about we at least give him the chance to play as a permanent forward at Fremantle, before giving up and turning him into something we currently have an abundance of.

Great post, not only is he younger than Silver he also already has a season on the board where he has kicked 50+ goals - not many players on our list can say that. Agree that he needs to be given a run of games in the forward line, hopefully that starts with the next two games.

I think everyone is underrating Faulks as well as JA.

The club obviously knows what it has and is molding those players, they'll have been in our system for a season and next year I think will contribute a hell of a lot more, both with a better fitness base and a better idea of how we structure up.

Well, when Faulksie and Jack learn the structure and game plan that will be a real bonus, as they can tell the rest of us just exactly what that game plan is!!

if you are suggesting Anthony can solve any of our key position problems then you are dillusional. He makesRyan murphy look like a star.

if you are suggesting Anthony can solve any of our key position problems then you are dillusional. He makesRyan murphy look like a star.

Agree to disagree then. He's a decent player, and comfortably better than Murphy.

He needs games to show what he can do. I'd like to see him down back, but I don't care so long as he gets a few games in succession to see if he has something to offer the team.

Hopefully now that the finals are well and truly gone, we'll see Harvey trying out some of the guys that haven't had their shot. Hopefully he'll f*ck MJ back off to the WAFL and bring in Kep. I'd like JA to get a shot as well, but am not sure who would need to make way so that'd happen.

Bring in Buco. Give Pitt another run and a good kick up the a*se, and tell him to run flat stick rather than deliberately jogging in the hope that he can avoid the next contest.

As much as Pitt doesn't deserve his spot in the team at the moment, I think he'll show more if he gets a few games in a row (as Crichton did earlier in the year... getting games that is... Crichton didn't end up showing much). The most important thing is to hire a witch doctor to lift the injury curse that has been placed on us this year. JVB and Roberton lost to injury last week... not great players, but yet another example of sh!t luck on the injury front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back