Jack Anthony

Remove this Banner Ad

Great spoiling. Great contested marking. Backed up and covered for others in the backline a couple of times. Looked like a natural... not surprising considering that he's a fullback that the Pies played forward as a trial. The fact that he did so well that year made folks forget that he was a defender. Good positioning and provided us with a lot of rebound out of defense.

And did anyone else notice his disposal? Very, very solid. Handballing was good, but his kicking was spot on. Don't think I saw any poor kicks... all were effective or kicks to legitimate contests. Imagine not having to rely on Duffield (poor one-on-one defender) or Ibbo (not a great decision maker) taking the kick ins.

Legitimate, long term replacement for Grover as our full back. I know we have issues up forward, and it's possible he'll be the answer there, but his best position is as a full back and he'll add a lot more there than up forward. With him and Silvagni as our long term KPD's we'll have guys that can win their contest and provide great rebound.

Looking forward to seeing him play there again next week. And hope Harvs doesn't forget this next season. Or how well Lower did on the ball.

Thought he played a really solid game and showed that he should have been given more of a go this year,his kicking by Freos standards this year was elite.....its a pity they didnt entrust him with the kickins...I cant bare to watch Ibbitson and especially Johnson do the kicking in.
Duffields kicking has also being dissappointing (along with the rest of his game) and the club really needs to work on stratagies coming out of defence..they are far to predictable.
With guys like Anthony and Suban (and Hill) who can hit up targets maybe we should be making better use of them !!
On another note has anyone else noticed how Broughtons kicking has turned to crap in the last month......whats the go there??

Faulks is reasonably quick, could he take the small forwards. If this were possible we could have the back 6 of:
Faulks McPharlin Grover
Silvani Anthony (Rebounding Mid)

Does seem tall, but could work.

At least one tall too many me thinks. And maybe two depending on the opposition.

But it's nice to have some options! Have been a bit worried about our back line for a while. Feeling more comfortable about the succession plan now.

What does the future hold for Jack Anthony under the new regime?

Seems to have been a player of last resort under Harvey. Chance for him to establish himself as a starting 22 player under Lyon?

Lyon rated blokes like Gamble, who i see Anthony as very similar too.. so i think there is def. a spot for him as a 2nd or 3rd tall in the forwardline..

i would prefer him back though.

Lyon has a track record of turning sub-par players into AFL players. If he can do that with JA then we will take some very big steps. It would be huge for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back