Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

Neither? Who the **** is Andrew McGrath? And World Youth Championships for what?
Vic Metro co-captain and on the shortlist for our first pick in the draft this year. Rocket-fuelled and oozes leadership and class. Versatile and tough. Sandy dragons player gaining a cult following.

Saints fan and friend of Jack Billings' sister (400/800 metre runner).

upload_2016-6-25_12-55-27.png

Last edited:
Vic Metro co-captain and on the shortlist for our first pick in the draft this year. Rocket-fuelled and oozes leadership and class. Versatile and tough. Sandy dragons player gaining a cult following.

Looks like Nathan Freemans junior highlights.

View attachment 260229

Would you have Ben Ainsworth ahead of him?

In 2013, Jack Billings was one of the classiest players in his draft pool, capable of turning games with his precise left-foot and game nous. But there was a question mark regarding his ability to play in the midfield, until a game late in the year extinguished that thought.

Across his final underage season, Billings split his time between Scotch College, Vic Metro and the Oakleigh Chargers, where clubs monitored his every move, hoping to grab him on draft night in late November.

St Kilda was one of those clubs who followed Billings’ progress closely in 2013, with Chief Operating Officer, Ameet Bains, spending plenty of time observing the highly touted prospect.

And while there was little doubt he was a class above in the front third of the ground, it wasn’t until a performance at Warrawee Park in Oakleigh where the soon-to-be No. 3 pick would put the icing on the cake.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-11-25/recruiting-tales-jack-billings

Looking mean (well as mean as he can):

328223_e38782091433ba7625f3b3d070ec72bb.JPG

Well I knew this was going to raise it's ugly head at some point this season. Perhaps we might have even made it to R10 before there was a direct comparison but here we are just shy of a week before the intraclub match and we have the first Billings vs The Bont story of the season.

I've got to say I am fairly in the Richo camp. He told the list managers what he wanted for the footy club and that turned out to be Jack Billings.

Here's a few nice comments from him.

"I want Jack Billings to be the player we drafted and I'm incredibly confident he'll be that.

"Will he win fewer awards than someone else? I don't care. That's where I sit."

"I find that laughable. He's a kid in his fourth year but I understand that Bontempelli is coming off a wonderful year."

You can read the whole article at http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-11/billings-v-the-bont-awards-dont-matter-for-richardson

Let's all hope that Jack has an injury free year and shows us some of the reasons why we drafted him at pick 3.

A few observations on Jack from today's intraclub game.

Jack played a good portion of the game, mostly on the ball I reckon but I'm not great at following individual players. He popped up with a couple of marks deep in defence a couple of goals including a very nice left foot set shot on a bit of an angle. On the ball though, I lost count of the number of times he went and got the ball and fed out a handball to a team mate in the clear. Less showy than Gresh but had more quality possessions IMHO. They are going to be a good pair on midfielders for us.

All up a great performance in a game that doesn't mean a whole lot but that was the only game available to him today. I hope he continues to play this way next week against Port.

Last edited:
I'd take him all over again. la la la la love him

Me too , I like him , he's my sort of player. Reminds me of myself when I was playing for Mordibraeside under 14s . People often said you are just like that player who hasn't been born yet but will play for the saints .....at least I think that's what they said or they might have been laughing .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Jack was good last night without being spectacular. Did some of the link up handballs to a player running past or in a better position. Not as much as in the intra-club but that is to be expected.

Started the game on half-forward and after kicking our third goal, went onto the wing and played on the ball I think to take Rooey's spot. Second quarter started on the bench then when straight onto the ball. Third quarter he was back on the forward line and kicked that lovely 40m set shot from a relatively tight angle. Last quarter lined up on the wing, nominally against Westhoff but I didn't see them go too close to each other after the ball was bounced.

Overall very pleased with his first hit out this year against opposition. Our midfield is looking good with lots of contributors which will make it difficult for other teams to counter.

Anther good game by Jack today. I reckon he had more time in the midfield/on the ball with Riewoldt missing and all of Lonie, Sincs, Minch and Gresh playing 60-70% plus game time and Long playing most of the second half.

Jack's skills were on display today. Moved the ball on very well with handball which contributed to out speedy coast to coast moves. Kicking was sublime usually picking out a free player. Only knocks on his game IMO - Missed a long shot at goal and was caught in possession in the centre after a hospital handpass.

Soft opposition today. Much tougher next week as we get closer to the real stuff.

Anther good game by Jack today. I reckon he had more time in the midfield/on the ball with Riewoldt missing and all of Lonie, Sincs, Minch and Gresh playing 60-70% plus game time and Long playing most of the second half.

Jack's skills were on display today. Moved the ball on very well with handball which contributed to out speedy coast to coast moves. Kicking was sublime usually picking out a free player. Only knocks on his game IMO - Missed a long shot at goal and was caught in possession in the centre after a hospital handpass.

Soft opposition today. Much tougher next week as we get closer to the real stuff.

He seems to have improved his tank too, seemed to be on the go all day

Sent via HAL

What's Jock Reynolds got against the saints ? Slagging off Billings and Steele before the season has even started is a bit much . Ok they got good scores against the Blues but you can only play against the side you have to play against. It's a bit much to say you should avoid a player because he got a really good score against Carlton , I don't know how that works . What of those players that didn't get such a good score should they be banned or something , this guy as a screw loose.

And this article straight after the other one where it's going on about how good he is becoming . Obviously the writers don't check out what the other one is writing about.
Well pointed out Dct66.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
What's Jock Reynolds got against the saints ? Slagging off Billings and Steele before the season has even started is a bit much . Ok they got good scores against the Blues but you can only play against the side you have to play against. It's a bit much to say you should avoid a player because he got a really good score against Carlton , I don't know how that works . What of those players that didn't get such a good score should they be banned or something , this guy as a screw loose.

And this article straight after the other one where it's going on about how good he is becoming . Obviously the writers don't check out what the other one is writing about.
Well pointed out Dct66.

Sent via HAL

I think he's just saying that we don't know yet.
Pre-season games are notorious for making a player look like he'll break out , then fizzle when the full on games happen. Ben Newton was one who sucked me in previously.

Well pointed out Dct66.

Sent via HAL

I don't think there is anything sinister in it Brains Trust66. Obviously both our Jacks had great games against the Blues but it was only the Blues. True you can only play who you are up against but don't base your whole Supercoach strategy on a good performance in a pre-season match against a reduced strength Carlton.

Wasn't at JLT3 unfortunately and watched the game on the 'small screen' if you know what I mean.

It is difficult enough to see Jack's work when you are at the game but with the long range shots they use in TV these days his best work goes unnoticed.

Jack had a solid game not as good as his previous games against Port & Carlton but not bad against much better opposition in Sydney. He had 80% TOG which is a good sign of his fitness going into the season although 64% DE is a concern, he'll have to do better but Sydney do bring a bit more pressure that a lot of other teams.

Very pleased with Jack's pre-season. He looks fitter than he's ever been and is playing a nice link role when we have the ball and his skills come to the fore and I think his defence and general pressure has also improved when we don't have the ball.

Can't wait for Melbourne in 12 days time.

Wasn't at JLT3 unfortunately and watched the game on the 'small screen' if you know what I mean.

It is difficult enough to see Jack's work when you are at the game but with the long range shots they use in TV these days his best work goes unnoticed.

Jack had a solid game not as good as his previous games against Port & Carlton but not bad against much better opposition in Sydney. He had 80% TOG which is a good sign of his fitness going into the season although 64% DE is a concern, he'll have to do better but Sydney do bring a bit more pressure that a lot of other teams.

Very pleased with Jack's pre-season. He looks fitter than he's ever been and is playing a nice link role when we have the ball and his skills come to the fore and I think his defence and general pressure has also improved when we don't have the ball.

Can't wait for Melbourne in 12 days time.

Wouldn't stress about 64% de. In a very slippery, scrappy affair.

Well pointed out Dct66.

Sent via HAL

'Jock' is a Saints supporter.

Great start yesterday by Billing and the team but it certainly fell away after that.

I thought Jack B was one of our better players but with the whole midfield not playing to their full potential we needed more than just his link play. His stats weren't too bad. 10 Kicks, 10 Handballs, 3 Tackles, 2 Clearances, 3 Clangers, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 60% DE from 89% Time on Ground.

I'd like to see him 'cut loose' but I'm not sure he is that type of player. When we play well, Jack will be an integral part of it and his skills will clear the ball from congested situations but when we don't play well I feel he will get lost a bit in the mix. Reasonable numbers but difficult to gauge his actual impact.

It's Round 1, we lost, Rooey is better than we could have hoped for at 7pm on Saturday night. Let's move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back