Senior Jack Billings - Player Advocate: Premium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saintsrfreak

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
No but it doesnt help when one of your main ball distributors looks and plays like a casper the ghost.
Short memory, he's absolutely cracked in and put his body on the line when the situation has called for it this year. He's an outside player, he's not going to be at the bottom of packs because that wouldn't be utilising his talents.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Short memory, he's absolutely cracked in and put his body on the line when the situation has called for it this year. He's an outside player, he's not going to be at the bottom of packs because that wouldn't be utilising his talents.
He was our form player and should have been thrown in the middle when he wasnt getting a touch. He cant be force fed his entire career, there comes a time when he has to win his own ball. Even Gaff can win the ball inside these days, its all about want. 2 weeks in a row he is shown to be very wanting when things dont go his way!

I am being critical of him because he is so important to our sucess, but Richo didnt help him again yesterday. Richo continues to display he is totally incapable of changing the flow of the game during match days.

Diehard Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nicky played in the midfield not seagulling on a wing. He could win his own ball, kick goals and had more tricks than Billings, plus he worked his way out of tags. Thats why he was All Australian x 3 and Jack is still finding his way.
Perhaps the coach could put him in the midfield then. Pretty sure JB can’t just put himself there of his own accord.

From what I seem to remember Dal had a very difficult time dealing with taggers. Out of interest, because I don’t remember, how old was he in his AA years?

joop

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Perhaps the coach could put him in the midfield then. Pretty sure JB can’t just put himself there of his own accord.

From what I seem to remember Dal had a very difficult time dealing with taggers. Out of interest, because I don’t remember, how old was he in his AA years?
21, 25, 27.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

StCicatriz

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
The last fortnight the opposition has locked down on Billings & no surprise the team collectively has been down as a result. The team & Jack need him to work his way through a tag cos more is a coming.
good call. we all knew this was going to come. but its a good learning curve for JB. the likeness to Dal is a good call, by whom ever made it. but the thing dal had is he had players around him to weaken the tag. players like BJ, Monty, Lenny, Fisher etc.

i think that's one area we need to improve in, find some more damaging users of the footy that run through the midfield. it would help take the load off of JB. but JB does need to work through the attention.

he's not a 900k player though. he'd be lucky to qualify at 700k with potential factored in.

cooperrules

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Lakers, Leeds united
He was our form player and should have been thrown in the middle when he wasnt getting a touch. He cant be force fed his entire career, there comes a time when he has to win his own ball. Even Gaff can win the ball inside these days, its all about want. 2 weeks in a row he is shown to be very wanting when things dont go his way!

I am being critical of him because he is so important to our sucess, but Richo didnt help him again yesterday. Richo continues to display he is totally incapable of changing the flow of the game during match days.
Richo sits on the bench. Not sure he has much to do with tactics.

gringo2011

Premium Gold
AFL Club
St Kilda
The last fortnight the opposition has locked down on Billings & no surprise the team collectively has been down as a result. The team & Jack need him to work his way through a tag cos more is a coming.

That's why losing Stuv is the double, you lose a gun but also get attention turned to others, Jack Stuv could motor way from trouble, Jack Billings struggles a bit more with attention because he's never had it.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Strengths kicking if someone feeds him the ball. Weakness is he cant win a hard ball and has absolutely no self belief or mongrel for a midfielder.
******** he wins just a tad less contested possessions than Ross or Newnes.
More than half the team.
His softness is made up crap, like people used to say Dal Santo was.

Premium

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
******** he wins just a tad less contested possessions than Ross or Newnes.
More than half the team.
His softness is made up crap, like people used to say Dal Santo was.
It amazes me when Billings has a bad game he gets torn to shreds , but when he has a good game he doesn't get to much credit.
Suppose some people have favorites

Ricmel

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
It amazes me when Billings has a bad game he gets torn to shreds , but when he has a good game he doesn't get to much credit.
Suppose some people have favorites
It's a fair call but the issue is he has too many bad games. So does Acres, so does Gresham. These are players we all think are massive potential, could be A graders but every 3 or 4 weeks (more in the case of Acres) they turn in really ordinary performances. True A graders have maybe 1 or 2 bad games a year. These guys are still turning in 5 - 7 ordinary games and that kills us because we don't know it we are going to get Melbourne St Kilda or GWS St Kilda.

You expect this sort of inconsistency in young players but these guys are now 4 years plus in the system. That is where the frustration comes from.

BrutThough

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a fair call but the issue is he has too many bad games. So does Acres, so does Gresham. These are players we all think are massive potential, could be A graders but every 3 or 4 weeks (more in the case of Acres) they turn in really ordinary performances. True A graders have maybe 1 or 2 bad games a year. These guys are still turning in 5 - 7 ordinary games and that kills us because we don't know it we are going to get Melbourne St Kilda or GWS St Kilda.

You expect this sort of inconsistency in young players but these guys are now 4 years plus in the system. That is where the frustration comes from.
Billings played 5 great games to start the year, was average against Adelaide and then a poor game against GWS. No need for everyone to instantly turn on him. Good players have bad games, especially when they have opposition players tagged them. Putting Billings in the same boat as Acres, who has never produced the same form as Billings, is a bit over the top.

Ricmel

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Billings played 5 great games to start the year, was average against Adelaide and then a poor game against GWS. No need for everyone to instantly turn on him. Good players have bad games, especially when they have opposition players tagged them. Putting Billings in the same boat as Acres, who has never produced the same form as Billings, is a bit over the top.
It's not over the top. I agree, Billings has had 4 or 5 good games in a row to start the year. But that is an exception for him, it doesn't yet change the pattern of his form over the previous 3 years. He is more consistent than Acres, so is Kim Jong-un, dosn't change the fact that he is not A-grade consistent a la Cripps, Kelly, Gaff, Zorko etc.

If the last 2 games turn out to be a blip - he plays consistently well for the rest of the year - then I'll applaud him. But right now, when I think of this group of players, all of whom are 1st round picks in their 4th and 5th/6th years, you can't help but be frustrated that they can be brilliant one game and very mediocre the next.

Top Bottom