Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

The fans have spoken, and Jack Billings is the Round 4 Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.

Billings was the pick of the bunch from more than 1,500 fans who submitted their 3, 2, 1 after Sunday’s heart-breaking loss to Fremantle.

The classy left-footer collected 32 disposals and bagged two goals, including a snap from the pack in the dying seconds to give the Saints a last-gasp chance at victory.

After being added to the leadership group on the eve of the season, Billings has put together an impressive three weeks in a new midfield role.

Playing predominantly on the wing, Billings is averaging 29 disposals a game and doing plenty of damage with his penetrating left foot.

Don’t Panic !!

How former world boxing champion toughened up star Saint

By Alex Zaia 3 hours ago

AA290119MW0574.JPG

Former IBF middleweight world champion Sam Soliman has revealed the extra training St Kilda star Jack Billings undertook during the pre-season.
Billings, 23, approached Soliman to do some one-on-one work in a bid to take his football to the next level.

So far in 2019, the former No.3 draft pick averages 29.3 possessions and four tackles per game from the opening three rounds, a significant improvement on the 21.9 he averaged in 2018.

“I did a training camp for him and his club St Kilda for an eight-week program, and then after we finished he came off his own bat and said: ‘Sam, I would like to continue one-on-one if you’re ok with that?’” Soliman told SEN Afternoons.

“It wasn’t paid for by the end, he paid his own way for that part because he wanted to be the best that he could be.

“I just said to him that: ‘Mate, that’s the one percenters that make the difference’.

“After another six weeks with him; two sessions a week, I did a 12-round session with him just to get him in the mental state of knowing he can do 12 rounds of boxing with a world champion and be able to do what he does.

“He did it and did it really, really well … went the whole 12 rounds … was absolutely spent, he was crawling out of the ring, but loved every minute of it.”

Soliman, 45, has won 45 fights from 62 bouts across several weight divisions in a distinguished 20-year career.

Am I blind or has the JB thread disappeared?

Anyway, he’s actually getting even better.

Playing as a genuine mid really, particularly outside centre bounces.

Too early for AA campaign?

Billings is heading to be All Australian - 5 games in and he has been fantastic
round - 1 - 28 possessions
round - 2 - 34 possessions
round - 3 - 32 possessions
round - 4 - 28 possessions
round - 5 - 28 possessions
round - 6 - 24 possessions
round - 7 - 19 possessions

He would be leading our Fairest and Best and scoring very well in the Brownlow

Last edited:
best players in first 5 games
BEST
Melbourne:
Brayshaw, Oliver, Gawn, Harmes, Salem
St Kilda: Billings, Kent, Membrey, Newnes, Acres, Steele, Geary

BEST
St Kilda:
Ross, Marshall, Billings, Lonie, Steele, Gresham, Acres
Hawthorn: Worpel, Scrimshaw, Scully, Sicily, Roughead, Henderson

BEST
Fremantle:
Walters, Ryan, Langdon, Hill, Cerra, Fyfe, Matera
St Kilda: Gresham, Billings, Geary, Marshall, Newnes, Steele

BEST
Essendon:
Stringer, McGrath, Hurley, Francis, Heppell
St Kilda: Gresham, Steele, Bruce, Ross, Sinclair, Newnes

BEST
St Kilda:
Ross, Billings, Steven, Newnes, Bruce, Steele, McKenzie
Gold Coast: Fiorini, Sexton, Witts, Ballard, Miller, Powell

BEST
St Kilda:
Steven, Parker, Ross, Savage, Steele, McKenzie
Adelaide: Keath, Walker, B Crouch, M Crouch, Laird, Greenwood, Atkins

BEST
Greater Western Sydney:
Cameron, Williams, Taranto, Haynes, Taylor, Reid
St Kilda: Steele, Ross, Marshall, Newnes, Kent

BEST
St Kilda:
Dunstan, Bruce, Ross, Battle, Billings, Gresham, Savage
West Coast:
Hurn, Cripps, Yeo, Sheed, Shuey, Gaff, Ryan

Last edited:
BEST
Melbourne:

BEST
St Kilda:

BEST
Fremantle:

BEST
Essendon:

BEST
St Kilda:

Pity about the Essendon game...;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BEST
Melbourne:

BEST
St Kilda:

BEST
Fremantle:

BEST
Essendon:

BEST
St Kilda:

1555977913422.png
Out of contract St Kilda star Jack Billings could command up to $800,000 per season on his next deal, following a blistering start to 2019 where he has emerged as the Saints’ best player.
The 2013 No. 3 pick played predominantly across half-forward during a disappointing 2018 for both him and St Kilda, but he has moved to a permanent spot on a wing this year and thrived in a team that is 4-1 and one of the most improved teams in the competition.

Billings hasn’t collected less than 28 disposals in a game so far this season, averaging 30 disposals, 412.7 metres gained, 5.6 score involvements, 3.6 inside 50s and 3.6 rebound 50s.

79e338a40c0c5ab70a21b6d22ef0f84c

The Herald Sun reported that the 23-year-old could be rewarded with a deal worth $800,000 per year, making him the highest paid player at Moorabbin along with off-season recruit Dan Hannebery.

St Kilda great Leigh Montagna expects Billings to re-sign with the club sooner rather than later.

“It is always a tactical one when you start discussing your contract negotiations,” Montagna said on Triple M on Monday.

“When do you wait? Is four weeks enough, now that he is in form? Does he wait another four or five weeks and then go knock on the door?

1555977984669.png

How former world boxing champion toughened up star Saint

By Alex Zaia 3 hours ago

AA290119MW0574.JPG

Former IBF middleweight world champion Sam Soliman has revealed the extra training St Kilda star Jack Billings undertook during the pre-season.
Billings, 23, approached Soliman to do some one-on-one work in a bid to take his football to the next level.

So far in 2019, the former No.3 draft pick averages 29.3 possessions and four tackles per game from the opening three rounds, a significant improvement on the 21.9 he averaged in 2018.

“I did a training camp for him and his club St Kilda for an eight-week program, and then after we finished he came off his own bat and said: ‘Sam, I would like to continue one-on-one if you’re ok with that?’” Soliman told SEN Afternoons.

“It wasn’t paid for by the end, he paid his own way for that part because he wanted to be the best that he could be.

“I just said to him that: ‘Mate, that’s the one percenters that make the difference’.

“After another six weeks with him; two sessions a week, I did a 12-round session with him just to get him in the mental state of knowing he can do 12 rounds of boxing with a world champion and be able to do what he does.

“He did it and did it really, really well … went the whole 12 rounds … was absolutely spent, he was crawling out of the ring, but loved every minute of it.”

Soliman, 45, has won 45 fights from 62 bouts across several weight divisions in a distinguished 20-year career.

So you're telling me...

Billings learnt how to fight..?

As our best player, I expect him to be heavily clamped down for the rest of the season by opposition

Let's see how he responds

I feel like the coaching group is better equipped to help him get through a tag. He also looks to have a bit of killer instinct the way he is playing. A steely determined look about him.

As our best player, I expect him to be heavily clamped down for the rest of the season by opposition

Let's see how he responds
I feel like the coaching group is better equipped to help him get through a tag. He also looks to have a bit of killer instinct the way he is playing. A steely determined look about him.

Agreed, plus we have the versatility to shuffle the magnets around if he can't break a tag. Could go forward for example.

Whilst he has played really well, I would be expecting him to hit the scoreboard more frequently, whilst ~maintaining these current numbers; especially considering that he has only really been doing it to this level for 5 games.

$800K/year would be along what Bontempelli/Cripps/Kelly etc got on their breakout contracts, which was when they were younger (more upside) and had more consistently high performances (the better part of 1-1.5 seasons).

I don’t even think Bruce was given this kind of money after his 50 goal season, even with the “KPF tax” accounted.

I imagine this was the typical manager “leak” to drive the price up. Would think a 3-5 year deal at 600 would be fair, all things considered. More as the season progresses, provided he keeps it up.

Maybe I’m just cheap. Would hate to see him go, and would rather overpay than lose him, it should be noted.

The interesting thing with Billings and a tag I reckon is this most of the elite wingers in the Comp

Gaff
Kelly
Smith
Sidebottom
Langdon
Phillips
Hill
Sinclair etc etc
Tend to all be elite long distance runners which is their major key strength. Billings though tends not to be at their level in terms of running, therefore his smarts are what allows him to win the ball. Therefore hopefully once the tag comes he’ll be smart enough to work around it

AFL 2019: Jack Billings refusing to chat with rival clubs in best sign yet he wants to stay at St Kilda
ea6cb994ac5f1ceebcdf60c34aa3468c

Jack Billings has given the strongest indication yet that he will remain a Saint beyond this season by refusing to chat to rival clubs.
Billings is out of contract at the end of the season and is in no rush to put pen to paper, but foxfooty.com.au understands his management is dealing only with St Kilda.

The feel-good relationship between club and player is a reciprocal one and the Saints are supremely confident they will be able to lock up Billings by season’s end, despite his decision to park discussions for the moment.

They say a contract around 900k for 2 years - you would have to expect that will be around that price when they where looking at Lycett at 750k and we are paying Hannebery 800k - I wouldn't be squabbling about the 900k.
Billings also has more upside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back