Traded Jack Billings

They say a contract around 900k for 2 years - you would have to expect that will be around that price when they where looking at Lycett at 750k and we are paying Hannebery 800k - I wouldn't be squabbling about the 900k when we looked at paying Lycett 750k.
Billings also has more upside.
We've got the money and in 2021 that figure won't look as steep anyway.

If he keeps it up he deserves it, could be our best so far this year.

so we are going to pay billings based on potential when we already have the player. but we were not willing to do this for players at other clubs far superior to billings.

our list strategy is utterly bizarre at times. we seem to over value what we already have and undervalue what we should be trying to get.

billings is not worth anything close to 900k and the idea we should pay him that for 2 years because of the potential for him to get there is madness. he gets paid what he is worth now. if he improves then his next pay packet will be higher or we revisit the existing deal.

so we are going to pay billings based on potential when we already have the player. but we were not willing to do this for players at other clubs far superior to billings.

our list strategy is utterly bizarre at times. we seem to over value what we already have and undervalue what we should be trying to get.

billings is not worth anything close to 900k and the idea we should pay him that for 2 years because of the potential for him to get there is madness. he gets paid what he is worth now. if he improves then his next pay packet will be higher or we revisit the existing deal.
Some could argue Billings is already there. We offered Kelly an apparent $1.6m. Clubs would be offering more than $900k for JB, so would you prefer to see him go?

his post doesn't make sense, we've clearly been offering up big contracts to lure players, they just haven't signed..
Everyone knows you need to pay overs to bring players to your club. If you pay them the same or similar to other clubs where is the added incentive to stay. I reckon many clubs would offer JB 1-1.1m a year. IMO he obviously isn't worth that much just yet but that's the price you pay these days.

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Everyone knows you need to pay overs to bring players to your club. If you pay them the same or similar to other clubs where is the added incentive to stay. I reckon many clubs would offer JB 1-1.1m a year. IMO he obviously isn't worth that much just yet but that's the price you pay these days.
at his current form sure, but the question is will he keep it up? hope so!

at his current form sure, but the question is will he keep it up? hope so!
If he kicked straight last year it'd be 2 years running on near on All-Australian form. I think it's sustainable :thumbsu:

Some could argue Billings is already there. We offered Kelly an apparent $1.6m. Clubs would be offering more than $900k for JB, so would you prefer to see him go?

he's not there yet.

when did we offer that?

i'm not aware of one club offering JB 900k apart from our own.

he's not there yet.

when did we offer that?

i'm not aware of one club offering JB 900k apart from our own.
I think he is. If he kicked straight last year he'd be All-Australian, and this year he is averaging near on 30 touches a game, he has been our most influential player IMO.

Anyway, I'm not aware of a club offering him $900k either. I said that if clubs were after him they'd be offering him more than what we offer him, because you always pay overs when you bring players in from other clubs.

A couple years ago when Kelly was offered deals from other clubs, the reported deals were in the vicinity of $1.5m a year. Us and North primarily.

But again, if we do what you suggest and offer him less and another club comes in and offers him much more than that, then it's incredibly hard for us to keep him with us. And then there will be uproar that we didn't offer more to keep him. He is a star and we should be paying him well.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
best players in first 5 games
BEST
Melbourne:
Brayshaw, Oliver, Gawn, Harmes, Salem
St Kilda: Billings, Kent, Membrey, Newnes, Acres, Steele, Geary

BEST
St Kilda:
Ross, Marshall, Billings, Lonie, Steele, Gresham, Acres
Hawthorn: Worpel, Scrimshaw, Scully, Sicily, Roughead, Henderson

BEST
Fremantle:
Walters, Ryan, Langdon, Hill, Cerra, Fyfe, Matera
St Kilda: Gresham, Billings, Geary, Marshall, Newnes, Steele

BEST
Essendon:
Stringer, McGrath, Hurley, Francis, Heppell
St Kilda: Gresham, Steele, Bruce, Ross, Sinclair, Newnes

BEST
St Kilda:
Ross, Billings, Steven, Newnes, Bruce, Steele, McKenzie
Gold Coast: Fiorini, Sexton, Witts, Ballard, Miller, Powell

BEST
St Kilda:
Steven, Parker, Ross, Savage, Steele, McKenzie
Adelaide: Keath, Walker, B Crouch, M Crouch, Laird, Greenwood, Atkins

BEST
Greater Western Sydney:
Cameron, Williams, Taranto, Haynes, Taylor, Reid
St Kilda: Steele, Ross, Marshall, Newnes, Kent
Form has dropped off the last 2 games , needs to get back on track

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
he's a 700k player even with an eye to potential. 900k is absurd. but we are st kilda. that's what we do.
he's a 700k player even with an eye to potential. 900k is absurd. but we are st kilda. that's what we do.
If a club pays 750 for Polac or 750 for Lycett and looking at paying Gaff 1.4 for a seagull , Billings is worth 900k - treat our own like s//t and they will leave - he has a couple poor games , he has the grit to come back.
The guy is also one of our leadership group.

If a club pays 750 for Polac or 750 for Lycett and looking at paying Gaff 1.4 for a seagull , Billings is worth 900k - treat our own like s//t and they will leave - he has a couple poor games , he has the grit to come back.
The guy is also one of our leadership group.

so our reason for the justification on paying billings 900k is north melbourne? who are last?

my view is he is worth 900k if anyone wants him , if you say he is worth 700k no problems - Armo playing at Sandy for 800k

yeap another example of a player we paid massive overs to

josh bruce another 800k player

stuv the other but in his defence he atleast played some consistently good footy

hanners the other

next highest would be carlisle, who like stuv atleast demonstrated some good consistent footy

so for the players > 700k. we have 3 fails and 2 ticks. great work saints.

yeap another example of a player we paid massive overs to

josh bruce another 800k player

stuv the other but in his defence he atleast played some consistently good footy

hanners the other

next highest would be carlisle, who like stuv atleast demonstrated some good consistent footy

so for the players > 700k. we have 3 fails and 2 ticks. great work saints.

I got told Bruce was on under $600,000, not sure where $800k came from.

Jaxsons

Debutant
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd pay billings 350. 000 dollars a year to run around In a saints jumper same with Gresham.. If they want more they are joking. Seriously if they want more prove it . Over rated.

On TRT-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

my view is he is worth 900k if anyone wants him , if you say he is worth 700k no problems - Armo playing at Sandy for 800k
Yep. He is 100% worth 900k, because that's what you'd pay these days to keep him, as a rival club would be paying overs to get him and it's quite obvious he is a star.

I guess some just have short memories. Only need to look at Milne and Dal Santo to realise that getting dropped means absolutely nothing. Five AA selections between them haha. Some just like to be contrarian for the sake of it.

Strengths kicking if someone feeds him the ball. Weakness is he cant win a hard ball and has absolutely no self belief or mongrel for a midfielder.
Probably because he's not that type of player. No self belief or mongrel is funny.

Back