Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Hey dct66 you can add today's game as well to his great games this year . He has become such an important player to the Saints . I gave him as one of the best on the ground . I haven't looked at the stats yet so I'm not sure what he got . But the number doesn't matter as much as what he does with them we he gets them. Very early this season there were questions being asked about why they recruited him and what a mistake it was, etc . Well not anymore.

He will be right up there in the best and fairest for the Saints . I hope he wins it as he had all that pressure about being picked before Bont but he didn't panic and look at his form now . People might laugh but I think he's an outside chance to visit high up in the Brownlow . It's just a matter if the umpires noticed him early enough.

Jack Billings has become one of our most consistent players this season. He is spending more time on the ground. 83% on Sunday which is the least TOG% since the Geelong game in R5 (73%). His DE% was a bit down at 63% but Freo were quite manic at the ball carrier, sometimes sending 3 or 4 to the one man but Jack still had 7 Inside 50s and took 9 marks including two in the last two minutes on the backline which you may recall. No doubt he loves having Sincs in the team with him. I think Jack knows that Jack is going to get the ball and moves to position to receive the ball a split second earlier than anyone else and vice versa.

For the record the raw stats are 12 kicks, 15 handballs, 2 clangers, 9 marks, 1 clearance, 1 1%er, 7 inside 50s, 1 goal, 2 behinds, 63% DE from 83% TOG.

Serviceable game from Jack this week in a match where we played our best footy for the year as a team. Many more handballs (15) than kicks (4) which says to me he was playing more like the role he was playing earlier in the year where he was the second player in the chain, taking the ball in a tight situation and hand balling it on to the next guy running past. Less marks (2) and inside 50s (1) point to this also. Excellent DE (78.9%) and 90% TOG are probably a reflection of Richmond's lack of pressure more than anything.

4 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 clangers, 2 marks, 1 clearance, 1 1%er, 1 inside 50, 1 goal, 0 behinds, 78.9% DE from 90% TOG.

Taylor Hunt was brought into the Richmond side, often a negating player, and spent a large part of the game on Billings. I reckon to limit his influence which has been huge in recent months.

JB had Hunt hanging off him for a lot of the game so struggled take marks or clean possession. Much like the team cooled in the second half. Had 12 touches/1 goal in first half and 7 touches in second half I believe. Missed two nice chances from around 50.

Big game needed this week with Membrey out.

Less said the better.

Stats: 11 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 clangers, 7 marks, 3 clearances, 1 1%er, 3 inside 50, 0 goals, 3 behinds, 72.2% DE from 88% TOG.

Last edited:
Wasn't bad at all, he nails a couple of those chances and it's seen as a good game.

Was flung up the ground late.

I agree. My opening comment was more about my feelings about the way the team played against Essendon than Jack specifically. I really didn't want to talk about any aspect of the game.

Right on Jack's average this year with 23 possessions against the Swans. Good DE (73.9%) and TOG (90%) but the whole team were ineffective again.

Stats: 11 kicks, 12 handballs, 1 clanger, 5 marks, 1 clearance, 1 1%er, 1 inside 50, 1 goal, 1 behind, 73.9% DE from 90% TOG.

Listen, that all looks good for JB, but he knows and needs to improve the defensive side of his game. In all his leading football, he has never had to understand defensive football or use it. Now he has. He has to learn this. Look at Robbie Grays last goal in tonight's game. Who was behind him? What did he do? He will learn.

Some photos of Jack at training
3b1caec64236e05acb179e4896cdf2bb.jpg

a18b823c7afa687d5ebebb3a003e7c5b.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge game by Jack yesterday against the Eagles. Brilliant tackle in the opening minutes and with a bit of luck could have had two goals in the first quarter. They'll both go down as misses and add to his appalling conversion rate this season but from my vantage point at the opposite end of the ground neither were straight forward. The first on the run from about 50 after getting the handball from Gresh and the second a snap from the pocket.

His influence continued throughout the game with many more kicks (18) than handballs (7). In the last he took a strong pack mark in the goalsquare and goaled. He had another chance later in the quarter a relatively easy shot on the run about 30 out, slight angle, but missed. Shortly after that albeit with the goal not quite as open as the previous opportunity, he chose to attempt to thread a pass to a position 40 out from goal and was intercepted. I hope the coaches show him that footage and drum it into him that it doesn't matter if you've kicked 1.7 for the day if you are 30m out without a clear pass you need to have the shot at goal.

Anyway, come the last minute with the Saints two points up, Gresh recovers that errant McGovern handpass and puts it in exactly the right spot for Billings and only Billings to run onto the mark. The kid drew in the deep breaths. Went back on his mark and checked the clock to make sure he used the whole 30secs. No doubt fighting the demons shouting in his head he went back and slotted it straight through the middle. Look at the replay Brains Trust66 posted about. It was never going to miss. The relief palpable and the celebration joyous as his teammates swamped him. But very quickly is was back to business and there was a two-goal lead to defend and the players didn't need any reminding that two-goal leads can be given up in the blink of an eye.

This week would be the perfect time to announce his new contract!

Edit:So edited by JB's game I forgot to add his stats

18 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 clangers, 7 marks, 0 clearances, 4 tackles, 0 1%ers, 4 I50s, 2 goals, 3 behinds and 72% DE from 86% TOG. I should also mention 5 goal assists, easily his most this season. Direct contribution to 7 goals 3 behinds. Not a bad day at the office.

Last edited:
As you alluded to dct66 his marking seemed really good yesterday as well. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come - he definitely showed prowess in that area as a junior.

Really seemed switched on. Always looking to be in the play, just that little confidence lapse when he show have had a shot in the last. Very happy with his performance.

Checkout

HTTPS://Soundcloud.com type in Saints Disco .

The latest Ep has a review of our game against the Eagles with a great chat about half way through about how great Billings is . I think it only goes for about 40 mins total .

Huge game by Jack yesterday against the Eagles. Brilliant tackle in the opening minutes and with a bit of luck could have had two goals in the first quarter. They'll both go down as misses and add to his appalling conversion rate this season but from my vantage point at the opposite end of the ground neither were straight forward. The first on the run from about 50 after getting the handball from Gresh and the second a snap from the pocket.

His influence continued throughout the game with many more kicks (18) than handballs (7). In the last he took a strong pack mark in the goalsquare and goaled. He had another chance later in the quarter a relatively easy shot on the run about 30 out, slight angle, but missed. Shortly after that albeit with the goal not quite as open as the previous opportunity, he chose to attempt to thread a pass to a position 40 out from goal and was intercepted. I hope the coaches show him that footage and drum it into him that it doesn't matter if you've kicked 1.7 for the day if you are 30m out without a clear pass you need to have the shot at goal.

Anyway, come the last minute with the Saints two points up, Gresh recovers that errant McGovern handpass and puts it in exactly the right spot for Billings and only Billings to run onto the mark. The kid drew in the deep breaths. Went back on his mark and checked the clock to make sure he used the whole 30secs. No doubt fighting the demons shouting in his head he went back and slotted it straight through the middle. Look at the replay Brains Trust66 posted about. It was never going to miss. The relief palpable and the celebration joyous as his teammates swamped him. But very quickly is was back to business and there was a two-goal lead to defend and the players didn't need any reminding that two-goal leads can be given up in the blink of an eye.

This week would be the perfect time to announce his new contract!

Edit:So edited by JB's game I forgot to add his stats

18 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 clangers, 7 marks, 0 clearances, 4 tackles, 0 1%ers, 4 I50s, 2 goals, 3 behinds and 72% DE from 86% TOG. I should also mention 5 goal assists, easily his most this season. Direct contribution to 7 goals 3 behinds. Not a bad day at the office.

You do the best Reviews mate , maybe you should do them as a full time project for all the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back