Recommitted Jack Billings [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d give him 600k a year to get him over free

Always saw him as our next option once kelly passed

He's not gonna leave for an extra 100k a year (half of which goes to the taxman).

He's been on circa 700k a year the last few years- you'd need to pony up that x 4 before he was willing to leave.

My guess is he'll sign with us for 2 years @ 500k and back himself in to get a fatter contract in 2024.

At this stage yeah. At one point weren’t all of Cripps, Bont and Merrett FAs?
Yeah all of the big names of that draft (Cripps, Bontempelli, Merrett, Kelly, Crouch, Billings) were Free Agents at the start of the year. All bar Billings have re-signed and it looks like Billings will re-sign too.

And now Parker re-signed

Billings now the best free agent left

and even he’s rumoured to now stay

Clubs have been told (according to reliable media sources) they need to tighten their salary cap and TPPs partly due to the unprecedented core virus pandemic which has decimated the economy of all business and industries in the past couple of years.

It's actually imo a significant reason why only 2 Melbourne based clubs are chasing Adam Cerra hard (Blues and Dees)

Especially given the fiasco last year with Collingwood's fire sale, clubs are starting to tighten their belts and not be so reckless with splashing out the cash for decent OOC players and Free Agents like previous years.

Clubs have been told (according to reliable media sources) they need to tighten their salary cap and TPPs partly due to the unprecedented core virus pandemic which has decimated the economy of all business and industries in the past couple of years.

It's actually imo a significant reason why only 2 Melbourne based clubs are chasing Adam Cerra hard (Blues and Dees)

Especially given the fiasco last year with Collingwood's fire sale, clubs are starting to tighten their belts and not be so reckless with splashing out the cash for decent OOC players and Free Agents like previous years.
Goes both ways Also means clubs have less money to sign existing players though

there will be clubs with plenty in the bank that could lure others across

Goes both ways Also means clubs have less money to sign existing players though

there will be clubs with plenty in the bank that could lure others across

Next year is a much more attractive FA and OOC star player market, so I would guess some clubs, like your Roos, are saving their warchest for then.

Next year is a much more attractive FA and OOC star player market, so I would guess some clubs, like your Roos, are saving their warchest for then.

It starts like that every year though.
The free agent list at the start of the year looks incredibly juicy.

But by the end of the year it is exceptionally rare (there are 800+ AFL players) that any star free agents actually move.

Free agency is (in the vast vast vast majority of cases) just a mechanism for star/quality players to get top dollar/longterm contracts from their existing clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back