Recommitted Jack Billings [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard that since last week's game we have turned our attention to Tom Hickey. His physical presence on the ball and his strong contested marking skills are exactly what we need going forward. We may not be able to fit Jack under the cap once this mega deal is done.

I've heard that since last week's game we have turned our attention to Tom Hickey. His physical presence on the ball and his strong contested marking skills are exactly what we need going forward. We may not be able to fit Jack under the cap once this mega deal is done.
Hickey for Parish Laverde Francis Goddard and Bird I'm hearing

If he agreed to terms it would've been before his manager went overseas... it would've been his manager negotiating the terms!

Phones do work internationally.....

Of course it was his manager. All players use mangers these days., except Cloke who I think still uses his Dad.

Point I was making was that deal is essentially agreed to, but will not be finally signed off till the manager gets physically back.

Phones do work internationally.....

Of course it was his manager. All players use mangers these days., except Cloke who I think still uses his Dad.

Point I was making was that deal is essentially agreed to, but will not be finally signed off till the manager gets physically back.

Not everyone does work when on holidays. I'll believe it when I see it :p

Won't re-sign until he sees what Kelly does. Wants to play with best friend Luke McDonald and kelly going to north seals the deal.

Found your posts on a few threads recently and you can tell why your name is Groin Guru because you can't get your hand off it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels a bit like the club originally lowballed him due to the underwhelming start to his career, whilst that's fair from a Saints POV, it opens the door for another club to enter in the conversation.

Of course jb is worth 500k, our offer would be at or above that.

He ISN'T worth what mayne is getting paid relative to his talent and actual output though.

Ie- the day he was traded everyone with half a brain knew mayne was getting paid probably 30% more than what he's worth.

Fast forward to now, and it looks like it's probably more like 40-50% more than he's worth...

Point being, like mayne got... maybe JB wants a deal that values him 30%+ over his actual, objective worth?

You want JB for 800k/year?
Take him.

Just leave your first rounder in the mailbox

We don't actually know what Mayne is getting, nor do we know if it's trigger based. If it's trigger based, he could stand to collect a minimum AFL wage for all we know.

I know the way Hine works (based on what he constantly says), if a player is taken as a first round pick in their draft (as Billings was), is their current output greater (or = to) or less than that?

I would assess his form probably similar to where he was taken. So he's probably worth a first round pick, sure.

But my question to you is whether the Saints would want three first round picks in the same draft? Or a future first? Or would you take a player with a second?

I dunno. If he wants us and we want him, I'm sure we'd come up with something. I reckon if you're fair dinkum about landing Kelly etc. you may just have to attempt to underpay and/or lose the likes of Billings.

We don't actually know what Mayne is getting, nor do we know if it's trigger based. If it's trigger based, he could stand to collect a minimum AFL wage for all we know.

I know the way Hine works (based on what he constantly says), if a player is taken as a first round pick in their draft (as Billings was), is their current output greater (or = to) or less than that?

I would assess his form probably similar to where he was taken. So he's probably worth a first round pick, sure.

But my question to you is whether the Saints would want three first round picks in the same draft? Or a future first? Or would you take a player with a second?

I dunno. If he wants us and we want him, I'm sure we'd come up with something. I reckon if you're fair dinkum about landing Kelly etc. you may just have to attempt to underpay and/or lose the likes of Billings.

The only way JB could possibly be squeezed out because of lack of available money is if we got both kelly and dusty.

Even then, we'd probably just shuffle the deckchairs elsewhere (trade longer or hickey or something) before lowballing JB.

We have more cap room than any team in the comp.
have been frontloading every large contract (armo carlisle steven) for years just to meet the 95% minimum...and can now use 105% of the cap for the next 3 years.

Lack of available money wont be a reason for JB playing elsewhere next year, unless dusty and kelly are in.

Last edited:
The only way JB could possibly be squeezed out because of lack of available money is if we got both kelly and dusty.

Even then, we'd probably just shuffle the deckchairs elsewhere (trade longer or hickey or something) before lowballing JB.

We have more cap room than any team in the comp.
have been frontloading every large contract (armo carlisle steven) for years just to meet the 95% minimum...and can now use 105% of the cap for the next 3 years.

Lack of available money wont be a reason for JB playing elsewhere next year, unless dusty and kelly are in.
Maybe he's just not that into you.. :p

Maybe we're not that into him?

We recruited him to be a midfielder and he isn't one.

Lack of willingness (not money) to pay him 50% more than he's worth could be a reason he leaves- no question

I can see it now... comes to the Pies and suddenly he's more than OK to play midfield.

Bit like Howe being reluctant to play back as a Demon :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back