Recommitted Jack Billings [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Acuse me of fantasy spit balling but in the CCJ thread claim he is worth pick 2/3.

You may be in the top 5 worst posters on this forum. Congrats.
Care to post a link to where i say he is worth pick 2 / 3

Or are you just selectively posting part of that post where i said CJ + 2nd rounder + 3rd rounder to collingwood for a "potentially" pick 5

also a 21 year old KPF/Ruck that has just kicked 4 goals in his 2nd game and you are comparing that to a 26 year old very average mid thats only played 100 games in 8 years.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

So St Kilda wont match $600k and just take pick #28 or what ever it is

Unless St Kilda think they will get band 1 compensation then they will match any bid for Jack Billings. He’s worth more to us than a second round pick even though most clubs wouldn’t trade much more than that. Jack has been one of our best in a frustrating and disappointing year.

It’s believed Jack is earning $650K+ pa now so unless he gets a better offer he will likely stay at the Saints. He received a very good contract last time because we were struggling to meet 95% of our cap and several clubs were pursuing him. From all reports he’s happy and settled at Moorabbin.

Any club that wants him as a free agent would need to offer more to entice him away and it would need to be for longer than 3 years. As a free agent he’s a free hit as a trade except for salary cap space. There will probably be a few clubs interested, but whether anything comes of it is another matter.

Unless St Kilda think they will get band 1 compensation then they will match any bid for Jack Billings. He’s worth more to us than a second round pick even though most clubs wouldn’t trade much more than that. Jack has been one of our best in a frustrating and disappointing year.

It’s believed Jack is earning $650K+ pa now so unless he gets a better offer he will likely stay at the Saints. He received a very good contract last time because we were struggling to meet 95% of our cap and several clubs were pursuing him. From all reports he’s happy and settled at Moorabbin.

Any club that wants him as a free agent would need to offer more to entice him away and it would need to be for longer than 3 years. As a free agent he’s a free hit as a trade except for salary cap space. There will probably be a few clubs interested, but whether anything comes of it is another matter.
It was in response to the St Kilda supporter saying if Billings is being offered $600k - $700k he should take it and run and stkilda wouldn't pay that

It was in response to the St Kilda supporter saying if Billings is being offered $600k - $700k he should take it and run and stkilda wouldn't pay that

I don’t think he is worth anywhere near that much to be honest.

Would mean he is getting paid more than Jack Steele if reported salaries are to be believed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounding like what the crows supporters were saying about crouch

I think you’ll find that’s correct.

He will stay unless he gets a lucrative offer. Saints are happy for him to stay and Jack would like to stay, but both parties are mature enough to understand the reality of the situation. Let’s see how it unfolds.

I think you’ll find that’s correct.

He will stay unless he gets a lucrative offer. Saints are happy for him to stay and Jack would like to stay, but both parties are mature enough to understand the reality of the situation. Let’s see how it unfolds.
Reminds me a bit of the dal santo free agent situation when he left

St Kilda will match that and then force a trade. Nothing surer. He is probably getting more than that now.
Sounding like what the crows supporters were saying about crouch
The difference is that Crouch wanted out and the Crows wanted him gone. $750k is his mooted current contract, so a repeat of that would likely draw a band 1 compo.
He's not worth more than $600k to the Saints, but the fact that he's been over paid for most of his time at the club would give them justification to expect him to take less for the sake of the rest of the team.
Gaining a band 1 compo is plausible, though not close to guaranteed. If all parties deal in a amicable manner then it could be achieved without much fuss.

The difference is that Crouch wanted out and the Crows wanted him gone. $750k is his mooted current contract, so a repeat of that would likely draw a band 1 compo.
He's not worth more than $600k to the Saints, but the fact that he's been over paid for most of his time at the club would give them justification to expect him to take less for the sake of the rest of the team.
Gaining a band 1 compo is plausible, though not close to guaranteed. If all parties deal in a amicable manner then it could be achieved without much fuss.
OK as a hypothetical

St Kilda supporters here say he can leave if he wants $700k or more
Club X gives him $700k only as a free agent (same as crouch scenario)
Do St Kilda match and keep or let him leave for a 2nd

Now all supporters play tough guy as we seen last year with the crows
We will match and force a trade - No if you match you keep and pay him $700k club offering billings only offers that as a free agent (as the saints supporters told us last year)

What do you do

Who the hell is offering him that of money ?.

If he does get that type of offer he should grab it with both hands and wish the Saints all the best !.
you would be suprised.....

Salary cap is 13 million. I am sure at least one Victorian club can look at him and Pay him $650,000 a year or $12,500 a week. Its not Dan Hannebery or Brad Hill wages isnt it?

Saints will never get back what they used for billings in the draft and the years they spent in him. Very much the Brad Crouch of this seasons coming FA period. If he leaves, he'll net a 2nd round compo or a end of first at best and the saints wont match because a trade will most likely be near the same in the end unless they can get 2 picks.

Best place for him? Geelong.

OK as a hypothetical

We will match and force a trade - No if you match you keep and pay him $700k club offering billings only offers that as a free agent (as the saints supporters told us last year)

What do you do

If Billings is offered less than his current contract then we match unless it is band 1 compensation.

Remember, the free agency compensation isn’t determined by a set dollar amount. It’s determined by the contract percentile the player is paid, adjusted by the player’s age, on a list of the AFL’s 100 highest paid players aged 25 or over. Jake Niall wrote a detailed article about it.

The highest paid player on the list is ranked at 100 points, the lowest ranked player at 0. The AFL then allocates up to 12 additional points for a player’s age. At 25 a player receives the maximum 12 points, a 26-year old gets 10 points, a 27-year old gets 8 points etc. The maximum points a player can get is 112, in Billings case it is 110 points because he is 26.

If Billings’ adjusted ranking is in the top 5% of this list, then free agency compensation is at band 1 (early 1st round), if 5%-15% it is band 2 (end of 1st round), 15%-30% it is band 3 (early 2nd round). And the only payments that are considered in the calculation of the rankings are base or guaranteed payments. Bonus or incentive payments are not included. This is why Adelaide only received band 3 compensation for Crouch, his contract was heavily incentivised with a lower base salary.

If Billings gets a guaranteed offer of $700,000 pa I’d be surprised if Saints didn’t get band 1 compensation, especially as he is only 26 years of age. It’s not certain, but very likely. St Kilda would need to make this judgement. If it is a guaranteed $750,000 pa then compensation will certainly be band 1, especially with the AFL tightening the quantum of the salary cap

The length of the contract only kicks in if there is a tie in the rankings. The longer the guaranteed contract the higher the ranking when there are ties in the average annual contract. So a guaranteed 4 year contract is higher in the rankings than a guaranteed 3 year contract. Additional years that are ‘triggered’ are not included in the ranking calculations.

Last edited:
OK as a hypothetical

What do you do
I suspect the club might match at 700k but the length or contract would be an issue. 2 years would be ok, 4 years not so.

I guess the differences here are the intangibles.
Billings would like to stay at the Saints but will want his fair wage, and the Saints will probably want him to take a substantial cut due to being overpaid the last 6 years.
Forgetting about what some supporters say it comes down to what is an appropriate salary.
My feeling is that since Jack Steele took unders at $650 to help the club, then Billings aught accept $600 for the same reason. I also think that's about his real value, but it's a fair drop from $750+

In short, the Saints can't and probably wouldn't try to force a band 1 compo. Like l said before it would need to be an amicable exit where Billings would help StKilda via the contract particulars.

Last edited:
you would be suprised.....

Salary cap is 13 million. I am sure at least one Victorian club can look at him and Pay him $650,000 a year or $12,500 a week. Its not Dan Hannebery or Brad Hill wages isnt it?

It’s also not value for money.

Would prefer another Brad Crouch for that coin.

Crouch wanted to stay and said so consistently throughout 2020.

The Crows didn't match because they were scared it would fall apart and they'd have to keep Crouch, who they didn't want. Doesn't run both ways, messy by foot, has zero versatility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back