Recommitted Jack Billings [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Crouch wanted to stay and said so consistently throughout 2020.

The Crows didn't match because they were scared it would fall apart and they'd have to keep Crouch, who they didn't want. Doesn't run both ways, messy by foot, has zero versatility.
Lol

Every player says they want to stay before the season ends.

He said once FA opened he did not want Adelaide to match the offer and wanted to go to St Kilda.

I suspect the club might match at 700k but the length or contract would be an issue. 2 years would be ok, 4 years not so.

I guess the differences here are the intangibles.
Billings would like to stay at the Saints but will want his fair wage, and the Saints will probably want him to take a substantial cut due to being overpaid the last 6 years.
Forgetting about what some supporters say it comes down to what is an appropriate salary.
My feeling is that since Jack Steele took unders at $650 to help the club, then Billings aught accept $600 for the same reason. I also think that's about his real value, but it's a fair drop from $750+

In short, the Saints can't and probably wouldn't try to force a band 1 compo. Like l said before it would need to be an amicable exit where Billings would help StKilda via the contract particulars.

I would be thinking its all about if St kilda want him to stay and if they do they know it will cost $600k-$650k and Jack wont consider free agency
But the fact remains he is still uncontracted in his most important year for contract negotiations indicates he either wants a bigger pay day or St kilda are looking to move him on.

I have a sneaky suspicion this is going to be a very similar result to Crouch where team offers him $600k-$650k and St Kilda dont match if it gets to this

If Billings is offered less than his current contract then we match unless it is band 1 compensation.

Remember, the free agency compensation isn’t determined by a set dollar amount. It’s determined by the contract percentile the player is paid, adjusted by the player’s age, on a list of the AFL’s 100 highest paid players aged 25 or over. Jake Niall wrote a detailed article about it.

The highest paid player on the list is ranked at 100 points, the lowest ranked player at 0. The AFL then allocates up to 12 additional points for a player’s age. At 25 a player receives the maximum 12 points, a 26-year old gets 10 points, a 27-year old gets 8 points etc. The maximum points a player can get is 112, in Billings case it is 110 points because he is 26.

If Billings’ adjusted ranking is in the top 5% of this list, then free agency compensation is at band 1 (early 1st round), if 5%-15% it is band 2 (end of 1st round), 15%-30% it is band 3 (early 2nd round). And the only payments that are considered in the calculation of the rankings are base or guaranteed payments. Bonus or incentive payments are not included. This is why Adelaide only received band 3 compensation for Crouch, his contract was heavily incentivised with a lower base salary.

If Billings gets a guaranteed offer of $700,000 pa I’d be surprised if Saints didn’t get band 1 compensation, especially as he is only 26 years of age. It’s not certain, but very likely. St Kilda would need to make this judgement. If it is a guaranteed $750,000 pa then compensation will certainly be band 1, especially with the AFL tightening the quantum of the salary cap

The length of the contract only kicks in if there is a tie in the rankings. The longer the guaranteed contract the higher the ranking when there are ties in the average annual contract. So a guaranteed 4 year contract is higher in the rankings than a guaranteed 3 year contract. Additional years that are ‘triggered’ are not included in the ranking calculations.
I know exactly how it works and all the things you mentioned applied to Brandon Ellis and he was in the top 25% paid in his final year
Got an offer of 5 x $600k from the suns and it ended up becoming band 3 and pick #39

Last year we seen the salary needs to be $800k with 3 year min and averaging around the $800k if longer to get to band 1 as per Daniher

you would be suprised.....

Salary cap is 13 million. I am sure at least one Victorian club can look at him and Pay him $650,000 a year or $12,500 a week. Its not Dan Hannebery or Brad Hill wages isnt it?
That is the case but alot of teams have younger players who would have been expecting increases and didnt get them because of the cap coming down 10% last year.

At Richmond this has been a massive issue with players like Baker , Balta , Graham , Bolton all coming out of contract and deserving bigger increases but having players on big salaries give the clubs no room and have to backend these new contracts

Lol

Every player says they want to stay before the season ends.

He said once FA opened he did not want Adelaide to match the offer and wanted to go to St Kilda.
So - at every point he said he wanted Adelaide to offer him a contract, until after they'd refused to sign him and he had signed at St Kilda?

What a meaningless point.

He's not going to be begging Adelaide to match the deal, after he's signed with St Kilda. What if Adelaide still don't? It would be incredibly embarassing for Crouch.

The facts are - he desperately wanted to stay but Adelaide didn't want him. They hoped to get better compo but there was no real market for Crouch's services.

So - at every point he said he wanted Adelaide to offer him a contract, until after they'd refused to sign him and he had signed at St Kilda?

What a meaningless point.

He's not going to be begging Adelaide to match the deal, after he's signed with St Kilda. What if Adelaide still don't? It would be incredibly embarassing for Crouch.

The facts are - he desperately wanted to stay but Adelaide didn't want him. They hoped to get better compo but there was no real market for Crouch's services.
How are they the facts?

Because he said he wanted to stay at the club through the media?

He shopped himself around the year prior while contracted and never looked like staying at Adelaide.

I would be thinking its all about if St kilda want him to stay and if they do they know it will cost $600k-$650k and Jack wont consider free agency
But the fact remains he is still uncontracted in his most important year for contract negotiations indicates he either wants a bigger pay day or St kilda are looking to move him on.

I have a sneaky suspicion this is going to be a very similar result to Crouch where team offers him $600k-$650k and St Kilda dont match if it gets to this
Narr, his manager is talking the talk to beat up his price as he should, but that's nothing to do with Jack.

I really can't see a repeat of the Crouch situation..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will be interesting to see if the saints choose to match - it could be akin to the situation with brad crouch where the compensation will equate to a second round pick (which is probably about his worth; a low second rounder?), his current team wants him to go and don't actually want to keep him, but the other team isn't prepared to trade for him and only wants him as a free agent, not as a trade

i have no idea what he's worth in terms of salary cap, and i doubt whether my side could afford him, but i would happily pick him up as a free agent but i wouldn't want to 'lose' a second round pick for him

he would nicely add to that half-forward / push-up-t-the-mid role that the likes of neal-bullen, melksham et al play

Saints fans are kidding themselves if they think they're scamming a first rounder for Jack Billings.
Nothing to do with scamming all comes down to what a club is prepared to pay him . Can’t see him going to north to do another rebuild I still think you guys will be silly and chase Kelly for a million a season or something stupid. dodoro has always had a thing for him wouldn’t surprise if Essendon had a crack especially if Merrett leaves

If we were to lose Merrett you’d think Essendon would take him as a good ball user.

The problem is going down that route would mean we’d have to match and trade Merrett instead of settling for his FA compo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back