Recommitted Jack Billings [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon EEEEEEsports
He is one of those ones who is worth jack sh*t on the market.

St. Kilda and their fans would value him because they've seen brilliance in glimpses and paid a huge price at the draft, most other clubs would probably baulk at giving up a decent second rounder. Can't see him leaving.
You’re kidding. You’d be lucky to get him for a good 2nd rounder

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
He is one of those ones who is worth jack sh*t on the market.

St. Kilda and their fans would value him because they've seen brilliance in glimpses and paid a huge price at the draft, most other clubs would probably baulk at giving up a decent second rounder. Can't see him leaving.
I don’t see him leaving but I actually think the opposite. A high draft pick with a good range of skills who clubs would get sucked into thinking they can get the best out of him. St Kilda on the other hand have watched him closely and most probably think that he is at his level. He’s definitely going to have to settle for a salary reduction if he stays.

Sheepey

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think he's a pretty average player to be honest. He'll have a game every now and then where he'll absolutely dominate (Bulldogs seem to be his bunny), but he's not overly quick, he often double grabs at the ball and he's never been that great at contested ball. On the plus side, he's a very good over head mark for his size and he's hugely damaging when he can get into space, but he's often reliant on his teammates to get there given his lack of speed. I'd be surprised and sad if he left because he's definitely best 22, however I wouldn't have him in the absolutely untouchable list like King, Marshall, Howard and Steele.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He is worth more to North Melbourne than any other club (financially)
They have so much cap space with not many players to pay and with Cunnington,Ziebell,Goldstein all coming to the end will have even more

They would be mad not to make a godfather offer to Billings and get a very good player who will enter his prime for nothing more than $$$
$5 mil over 5 years and pay $3 mil in 2022 as they probably will not have the players to fill the cap

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is worth more to North Melbourne than any other club (financially)
They have so much cap space with not many players to pay and with Cunnington,Ziebell,Goldstein all coming to the end will have even more

They would be mad not to make a godfather offer to Billings and get a very good player who will enter his prime for nothing more than $$$
$5 mil over 5 years and pay $3 mil in 2022 as they probably will not have the players to fill the cap
As a North Fan I would be happy to offer him a contract, nothing too crazy but something to lock him in until retirement.
Shown glimpses but I think he's been surpassed with the new tradees in the st kilda side over the last few years.
Might go for it too considering the entire st kilda squad has been asked to take a paycut to keep people around and in budget.
Biggest issue would be trading for him if the saints wanted to play hardball.
Hopefully wouldn't be our biggest 2021 signing and doubt he'd be the only one offered too.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
As a North Fan I would be happy to offer him a contract, nothing too crazy but something to lock him in until retirement.
Shown glimpses but I think he's been surpassed with the new tradees in the st kilda side over the last few years.
Might go for it too considering the entire st kilda squad has been asked to take a paycut to keep people around and in budget.
Biggest issue would be trading for him if the saints wanted to play hardball.
Hopefully wouldn't be our biggest 2021 signing and doubt he'd be the only one offered too.
Thats why i mentioned north and the $1 mil a year x 5 years. St Kilda wont match that and they would be in a terrible position with the players that have recently brought to the club on high salaries and Max King etc needing bigger $$$ soon
as well as having 1 eye on ben King in 12 months time.

free hit for North

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thats why i mentioned north and the $1 mil a year x 5 years. St Kilda wont match that and they would be in a terrible position with the players that have recently brought to the club on high salaries and Max King etc needing bigger $$$ soon

free hit for North
No one would match that contract.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t see him leaving but I actually think the opposite. A high draft pick with a good range of skills who clubs would get sucked into thinking they can get the best out of him. St Kilda on the other hand have watched him closely and most probably think that he is at his level. He’s definitely going to have to settle for a salary reduction if he stays.
How many players take a salary reduction at the peak of their careers?

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Probably not many, but plenty of players have gone past him and and plenty have come in since his last contract, so that's what will be on offer unless he has a big year.

He was lucky to have signed his last contract when the club was front loading contracts to get to 95% of the cap and he was probably playing his best footy.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's unusual, but as bird man said, he's been passed by a bunch of players and if he wants to stay, he'll have to settle for less. He did what lots of players do after six years and took a punt on himself by only taking a two year contract with the expectation of the next contract being the long term one. Unfortunately for him, he hasn't really taken his game any further in these two years and our list has gotten much deeper. I still would be surprised if he left. He's done a lot of hard yards in some bleak years for the club so I doubt he's keen to go to a struggling club, even if the offer is financially very strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

free hit for North
You might have mentioned it but no way the club is offering him a Million a year.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You might have mentioned it but no way the club is offering him a Million a year.
He will easily attract $750k-$800k as a free agent and would need an extra $200k to go to a team like north melbourne
If Polec is worth $750k having to trade a 1st rounder for then Billings with no trade required north should consider this

Who else would demand the dollars

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
$900k Williams
$900k Hill

How else does North get players to go there ?
Hill has had a much better career than Billings.

Only injuries has stopped Williams from having a much better career but he's a better player no doubt.

North just need to build for a couple of years and show they are on the right track and then players will start looking at them.

They are better off being smart with their cap and banking it rather than doing something silly like that.

Target young players looking for opportunity in the meantime

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Hill has had a much better career than Billings.

Only injuries has stopped Williams from having a much better career but he's a better player no doubt.

North just need to build for a couple of years and show they are on the right track and then players will start looking at them.

They are better off being smart with their cap and banking it rather than doing something silly like that.
Mate they have been banking for 5 years and have no other players to front load. Just have a look at their list
Ziebull , Goldstein , Cunnington are all coming to the end and salaries will be under 500k

They will struggle to meet the 95% and probably have $3 mill banked already
Who will they pay ? They need to utilise free agency and front load as Carlton did with Martin

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He will easily attract $750k-$800k as a free agent and would need an extra $200k to go to a team like north melbourne
If Polec is worth $750k having to trade a 1st rounder for then Billings with no trade required north should consider this

Who else would demand the dollars
you miss out on the fact that North were going to use the first rounder to match a big for thomas.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
No club will offer Billings 1m. He is an average-good player & is no longer untapped potential. He’s reached his ceiling. With the reduced cap due to covid he will be lucky to field offers over 650k. I think he will stay a Saint on about 550-600k pa.
So you are telling me he will only get an offer similar to an injury prone brad crouch ?
That wont move him and clubs like Hawks / North / Essendon /GC will be all over him
$800k - $850k min to move him and if a club has salary cap space to burn he will have a nice pay day and St Kilda will take pick #15

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you are telling me he will only get an offer similar to an injury prone brad crouch ?
That wont move him and clubs like Hawks / North / Essendon /GC will be all over him
$800k - $850k min to move him and if a club has salary cap space to burn he will have a nice pay day and St Kilda will take pick #15

Billings worth less. Crouch is a proven ball winner.

Billings is a free agent so no trade would get done.

ummmbont

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs all over Billing’s

If the Dunkley deal goes down as I still think it will Billing’s is a dog next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back