Traded Jack Bowes [Traded to Geelong with #7 for F3]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sincere question to confirm the rules, Geelong are allowed to restructure and contract his Gold Coast are not allowed to? Or both clubs are allowed but Bowes would not negotiate with GC but will with Geelong?

My understanding is that Bowes is owed 1.6-1.7 million in guaranteed money.

He can restructure a contract with any club.

Obviously he is not going to work for free for a couple of years.

So a 4 year deal could be negotiated at total 2.2 million for instance. (850-850-250-250) but paid in whatever format suited the club and bowes. Eg 500-500-600-600.

The suns could have done exactly that but recognised that it would be more advantageous to use the cap to re sign guys who are definitely part of a finals team / squad and open cap space to try attract ‘a grade’ players in the next 1-2 years as Craig cameron has detailed in recent interviews. Rather than continue to pay fringe or reserves level players a significant wage. Why give bowes more guaranteed money (albeit at a lower yearly rate) if we didn’t think he would be part of the best 22 over the next few years.

For us, the salary cap space was more important than the high pick hence the use of that pick to incentivise teams for whom the pick was more important than the cap space.

Yes… agree. I still think GC should pay up the difference in the first 2 years of his new 4 year deal or still have the difference on their books.

Why is pick 7 involved….

GC sooked and got priority picks not that long ago … now they are throwing away top 10 pick players with top ten picks….
No more rewarding GC with priority picks until they get their shot together

They didn't just throw it away... They wanted his contract off their books and i guess they were desperate, as they likely could of been over the cap, or lose Anderson....

Why do you think Geelong has not faced a lawsuit from other clubs and entities?

Why do you think clubs cannot run their on TV channels like Manchester City and Chelsea?
are you ok?

Which proves it is about Geelong getting pick 7 and not dumping salary because all get the majority of their money from AFL HQ as a controlling entity
Care to explain why Geelong was showing interest in Jack before pick 7 was in play then?

Why do you think Geelong has not faced a lawsuit from other clubs and entities?

Why do you think clubs cannot run their on TV channels like Manchester City and Chelsea?
Can you show us just where the nasty Geelong person touched you
images

Ok, all Geelong players are happy to get unders because their best 22 get to play finals every year and everyone else are just happy with the great life style being based in that part of the world. That is how they remain under the cap and keep attracting many players.

The problem with the above statement is it sounds too good to be true.
6 months ago we were a bunch of pensioners and young players that were no good. Now we're apparently miles over the cap because it's a squad of stars. Can bigfooty make their minds up?

Well knocking out Vlastuin and getting high fives from Selwood is what some resort , not to mention other game meddling

No need for me to have foxtel when the AFL is not a legitimate competition with proper governance
Ah, so your flags were won in an illegitimate comp.

Let's wipe them from the records, quick smart then.

My greatest wish now is for Bowes to come out and say "I Love the atmosphere at Geelong so much, I am willing to sign a new contract - 4 years - $1.2m total"

The carnage on BF would be seen from space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where technically it is wrong.

The players play for the clubs but their overall employer is still AFL HQ because the clubs cannot exist outside of AFL HQ. The clubs are not clubs but AFL clubs except I think some of the WA licenses which are linked with their state bodies

AFL HQ hold the licences and brands I believe.

This is the farce, it is not a competition. Technically Bowes employer is AFL HQ, which does not change by switching clubs liking moving location so the existing contract should not be able to change because he switched clubs because he gets it from the Geelong distribution rather than the Gold Coast distribution
I don’t think you understand how the contracts work in the AFL, usually in a trade a player will have been paid out by their club under thier existing contract as it has come to a natural end

Bowes contract had 2 years remaining and GC have previously backended his payments untill it was $1.6 million for the 2 years remaining

Now that the suns want his contract off the books the new contract with a new club needs to reflect that $1.6 million in the payments …it is up to the new club and player to come to an agreement on his new wage …which has to include the $1.6 million over the contract life

Ok, all Geelong players are happy to get unders because their best 22 get to play finals every year and everyone else are just happy with the great life style being based in that part of the world. That is how they remain under the cap and keep attracting many players.

The problem with the above statement is it sounds too good to be true.
Because some people actually value other things in life over money

Chris Scott gave up his entire contract salary to retain the club’s staff during the COVID period

So it’s not a shock that the players might hold the same values

Last edited:
Is him choosing Geelong over Hawthorn or Essendon really that huge a surprise? Essendon are the worst run club in the country, and Hawthorn has serious racial allegations levied against it and has Jeff Kennett in charge, I would be avoiding both those places as well.

This just gets weirder and weirder from GCS.

They're moving on Corbett and Sharp.
They picked up Long and Berry.

I don't understand the urgency around Bowes.

Why not eject Corbett/Sharp and not pickup Long and Berry. Hold bowes the 2 years or extend him on more favourable terms same as Cats did.

Someones got a screw loose on the sunshine coast. They're seemingly sailing into icebergs on purpose.

This just gets weirder and weirder from GCS.

They're moving on Corbett and Sharp.
They picked up Long and Berry.

Why not eject Corbett/Sharp and not pickup Long and Berry. Hold bowes the 2 years or extend him on more favourable terms same as Cats did.

Someones got a screw loose on the sunshine coast. They're seemingly sailing into icebergs on purpose.

"Hold bowes the 2 years or extend him on more favourable terms same as Cats did."

The Suns can hold him to the existing contract (2 years) but he is under no obligation to alter his existing contract with the Suns, so they don't have the option of extending him as per the Cats proposed contract.

"Hold bowes the 2 years or extend him on more favourable terms same as Cats did."

The Suns can hold him to the existing contract (2 years) but he is under no obligation to alter his existing contract with the Suns, so they don't have the option of extending him as per the Cats proposed contract.
Yes, but the 4 other players I listed had to have added up to the $800k they were missing for Bowes... with cash leftover to offer something to Anderson and Rowell for a couple years.

Bowes won't extend again with GC, he has already done that once for them and now they want to backtrack on that agreement. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice....

Clearly GC would be in big big trouble cap wise if they don't get rid of Bowes. The fact the AFL changed the rules specifically around this stuff before the trade period says a lot.

Fringe players in/out don't affect the cap much when you are talking about $1.6 million over 2 years for Bowes. I suspect if they didn't come to an agreement where Bowes is happy to go, and the buying club is happy to absorb the salary, then GC would be looking at offloading a serious talent (King, Rowell, Anderson etc) to be able to stay under the cap. That is the only conceivable reason that they are putting pick 7 out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back