Traded Jack Bowes [Traded to Geelong with #7 for F3]

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a unique situation. They went out of their way to assure him that pick 7 had nothing to do with wanting him.
They really have to give him games at least the first year.
Huh?
Geelong have the pick 7.

It's not being held hostage behind his playing time

This is a unique situation. They went out of their way to assure him that pick 7 had nothing to do with wanting him.
They really have to give him games at least the first year.
Some geelong fans may disagree with you but i think you've got a point. If we want to retain our credibility to trade targets i think we need to give him the first 3-4 games in the team to at least see how he goes considering scotty told him 'you will play in this team'. If he's struggling then we drop him to vf when we can at least say that we gave him a shot.

Huh?
Geelong have the pick 7.

It's not being held hostage behind his playing time
its not about that. its about the optics of scott reassuring him he'll play and then shafting to the vfl round 1 without giving him a shot. Unless he tanks in training he deserves first crack at Selwood's spot.

I wasn't referring to JB specifically, otherwise I would have named him, I'm just talking about hypothetical future trades and why they wouldn't happen.

And yeah, our dressing room is fine. Geelong can do things other clubs can't. Especially current day Hawthorn.
Suuuuuuuure, you weren't referring to Jack Bowes specifically.....

You can't even trouble yourself to type the dear lad's name out in full.

When you refer to doing things other clubs can't, is that in reference to the land deals?

its not about that. its about the optics of scott reassuring him he'll play and then shafting to the vfl round 1 without giving him a shot. Unless he tanks in training he deserves first crack at Selwood's spot.
The club is no longer about playing who deserves a spot and winning, but optics now?

There's playing youth over older players when it's 50/50 or close to, then there's playing for optics.

Interesting take. Agree to disagree.

I'm just going to throw this out there. Is it possible that the AFL actually orchestrated the Bowes trade in order to justify introducing proper contract upholding rules? The AFL does own the Suns after all...

What's the quickest way to cause enough public outrage to rush through new rules that you want to introduce? Maybe orchestrate a trade that hands the reigning premiers several highly valued assets for next to nothing in return?

Now the AFL are free to introduce rules that uphold an existing player contract once they are traded, which is a ruling that should hold every club far more accountable for the contracts they hand out as well as making the salary dumping concept actually work.

If Geelong were to recruit Bowes under these proposed rules then they would need to trade other players out in order to fit Bowes inside their cap for the following two seasons and the incentive to do so would be the pick 7 carrot waiting for them.

Considering they just captured a premiership, it seems unlikely that a team inside a premiership window would take on a contract like that (as well as trading out others) for an expensive player that may not even be best 22 for them. You'd expect a team with lots of cap room and inside a rebuilding phase to do something like that because pick 7 means more to them than a team like Geelong in 2022.

Just a theory but the AFL obviously wields some kind of power over the Suns so it's at the very least plausible. I also understand this could come across as excusing the actions of the club I support and maybe that's what has subconsciously happened here because the alternative just seems hard to accept. So there's that too.

No we wouldnt have needed to trade anyone out as we would simply have restructured deals.
Ie bowes on 23-24 1.7mil
Pick 3 players who are on 600kpa extend them out to 2026 and backend 75 % of that 600kpa to 25-26. Cap has room for this as will have 6-10 retirements by 2025.
This is what richmond did when they restructure other players deals to fit lynch in and is perfectly legal and workable

This is why the 'new afl rule' is a PR stunt in practicality it changes nothing as theres an obvious workaround
Unless the afl bring in a rule limiting backending across the board (ie you cant backend more than 60 % of any contract for any player) then nothing actually changes.

"It was a really tough process. It was about what felt right for me; I went with my gut a bit in terms of I knew Geelong had been talking to my management since halfway through the year. I knew they wanted me for who I am and what I bring as a footballer. It was obviously a bit unique with pick No.7 being involved. I had to work through who was in it for that, as opposed to who was actually in it for me.

“I knew from the start Geelong were pretty excited with what I can bring to the football club. I had a great feeling when I met them. I was blown away by the culture, by the people they have in the football club and by how stable they are at the moment. Obviously (they're) coming off a premiership as well, so learning off some of the great players appealed to me."

Some geelong fans may disagree with you but i think you've got a point. If we want to retain our credibility to trade targets i think we need to give him the first 3-4 games in the team to at least see how he goes considering scotty told him 'you will play in this team'. If he's struggling then we drop him to vf when we can at least say that we gave him a shot.

He'll get games next year, so will Bruhn and Henry. We play with a large squad and older players will be managed. How many games they play is up to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back