Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
This is what happens when you have clubs that don't value top ten picks. The fact is there are 16 clubs that would never do this deal because they'd probably lose 10,000 members.

That the AFL signed off on it is a joke. It would we somewhat bearable if it was a bottom club because it could be seen as equalisation, but the fact that it's the premier just stinks. The deal has a stench about it unlike any in the history of the competition.

Please spare us the "it's because we're a well run club" bullshit.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is what happens when you have clubs that don't value top ten picks. The fact is there are 16 clubs that would never do this deal because they'd probably lose 10,000 members.

That the AFL signed off on it is a joke. It would we somewhat bearable if it was a bottom club because it could be seen as equalisation, but the fact that it's the premier just stinks. The deal has a stench about it unlike any in the history of the competition.

No point blaming Geelong though if any club was presented this deal they would have done it . What’s bullshit is that the afl didn’t step in and over rule it and that the suns were stupid enough to do it

Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

But it is because we're a well run club.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No point blaming Geelong though if any club was presented this deal they would have done it . What’s bullshit is that the afl didn’t step in and over rule it and that the suns were stupid enough to do it

Noone is blaming Geelong.

Well, noone sensible.

This is a complete * up by GCS and the AFL sits by and lets it happen. Who at GCS is losing their job over this?

The supporter is so delusional he even said it was a good thing.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong should use it and then offer their F4.

GCS would accept it.

So it turns out Fiorini, who is contracted and wants to leave, but they are being difficult in their dealings with Collingwood. They brought in 2 plodders in Berry and Long. And are throwing away a QLD born player.

They truly have no * ing clue.

Fiorini out and no to Long and Berry, pay what Bowes is owed and have 5 and 7 in the draft for quality kids for the future.

How is that so hard to do ?
No deal, we need that for the next Matthew Egan.

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

On what basis could the AFL overrule it? It complies with the trading rules.

Don't get me wrong. As a supporter, I'm very happy with the deal.
I just don't get this idea that the AFL could overrule it, even if they wanted to. To my knowledge, no such powers exist.

richard parker

The Killer Bees
Feb 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Salary information changes year on year and he doesn't know every players salary individually, there hundreds of players. The cats would have found out about his salary back ending through his manager. They would have found out that information before other people because they were enquiring about him before other people because they were genuinely interested in him.

The rule that allowed this was brought in after Hocking left too. At best he might have said to his list management people, "Hey you know the Suns will need a cap dump" which is basically something every list manager already knew.

So no, I don't buy into your conspiracy theory when there are much simpler and more likely explanations. You sound like a crackpot

Mate lots of speculation there and questionable details. It reads like heavily biased justification. I get it’s hard to question your own club.

I stand by my opinion that having the most recent AFL General Manager of Football as you club CEO is a significant competitive advantage. I don’t do conspiracy theories. I’m talking about conflict of interest, nepotism and lack of transparency, which is clearly a problem in the AFL (and Geelong are currently the major beneficiaries). It can be comforting to dismiss difficult realities as conspiracy sometimes.

richard parker

The Killer Bees
Feb 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Bet you were pretty happy to take Lynch off their hands while contending but that’s different..
Nice attempted deflection there.

Lynch was a free agent vs pick 7 and a player for F3!

Both deals not “fair” in a way. But one less so than the other, surely you can see that. Can we agree the AFL needs to do a bit of work on their equalisation measures?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
But bowes is contracted. As a contracted player Bowes doesnt have to live in places he doesnt want to cos his club misgmanaged their salary cap. Thats blantantly unfair to bowes. Its not a solution.

He could also have refused a trade to Geelong if he wanted to stay in Queensland. But found it in his heart to move there, to the Premier. Funny that.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
On what basis could the AFL overrule it? It complies with the trading rules.

Don't get me wrong. As a supporter, I'm very happy with the deal.
I just don't get this idea that the AFL could overrule it, even if they wanted to. To my knowledge, no such powers exist.
It happens in the nba when the lakers Chris Paul trade got over ruled due to being to one sided. And the afl does have an option to overrule trades the one at kilda did with hawthorn years ago almost got vetoed. The suns salary cap must be completely screwed is the only reason I can see for not happening

Last edited:
Mate lots of speculation there and questionable details. It reads like heavily biased justification. I get it’s hard to question your own club.

I stand by my opinion that having the most recent AFL General Manager of Football as you club CEO is a significant competitive advantage. I don’t do conspiracy theories. I’m talking about conflict of interest, nepotism and lack of transparency, which is clearly a problem in the AFL (and Geelong are currently the major beneficiaries). It can be comforting to dismiss difficult realities as conspiracy sometimes.
Mate, you don't do conspiracy theories but are standing by your conspiracy theory.

Dangerfield and Mackie asked Bowes manager what he was doing next year back in June. Bowes manager would not have kept his accrued contract secret.

Literally every club could have had the same information if they were just interested in the player.

Last edited:

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

It's a red flag.

It's a Mickey mouse industry sometimes the AFL.

Brad Scott now moves to Essendon with the same competitive advantage. Assuming he had similar access at AFL house as Hocking did.

Whether or not Geelong has used it or benefitted from it is another question but I don't think matters.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I'm not blaming Geelong it's not like they're cheating, it's the AFLs fault for allowing the deal. It just stinks so much.

richard parker

The Killer Bees
Feb 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
But a valid question, why haven't any Richmond people been headhunted to fill open AFL spots?
Before answering that there are bigger questions around the type of organisation the AFL actually is. Is it an ethical, good “quality” organisation as you put it? Is being headhunted by the AFL any indication of a persons quality? I don’t think it is. The AFL doesn’t want any Tigers on the books because we aren’t boring soulless administrators and we conduct ourselves ethically and authentically.

Dec 20, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal

It's because we're a well run club.

Back