Traded Jack Bowes [Traded to Geelong with #7 for F3]

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well, the good news is the AFL has listened to you all and from now on the rules will be changed.
I hope you are all happy

Why should anyone be happy? They could have blocked the trade and made this rule change then, they knew this was an issue. Why let one club benefit and then change it for everyone else? Classic AFL incompetence

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Stop being a flog with the Geelong comment. No club in the land would pay that contract just for him. If clubs had that much spare cash they don’t buy him, they go get a star that’s out of contract. Simples mate, no way you spend 100k on a barina when you can get a Mercedes’ for the same money.

Except you’ve entirely misunderstood the salary cap floor being too high and the implications thereof.

Clubs with acres of space before the floor would certainly overpay for Bowes for a couple of years as-is.

Geelong aren’t doing the Gold Coast a favour by taking on Bowes when other clubs would have done the same.

They’ve permitted salary dump trades but only addressed one side of the equitation.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Why should anyone be happy? They could have blocked the trade and made this rule change then, they knew this was an issue. Why let one club benefit and then change it for everyone else? Classic AFL incompetence
Because it was Geelong.

You really think St Kilda, Adelaide or Fremantle would have been allowed to do this deal?

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, Cleveland Browns
Except you’ve entirely misunderstood the salary cap floor being too high and the implications thereof.

Clubs with acres of space before the floor would certainly overpay for Bowes for a couple of years as-is.

Geelong aren’t doing the Gold Coast a favour by taking on Bowes when other clubs would have done the same.

They’ve permitted salary dump trades but only addressed one side of the equitation.

Why would these struggling clubs agree to take on Bowes contract for nothing? Instead of just overpaying their best players. Bringing in an overpaid reject for no reason is a great way to disrupt a locker room.

You have to incentivise the trade if you're GCS. Literally nobody would take it without compensation.

Pomsta

All Australian
Jun 10, 2010
Stuck at Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolves, 49ers
I can see why Geelong would take Bowes last year but with with their new faster game plan I don't see where Bowes would get a game. Geelong would have to get a gun at pick #7, otherwise the trade is a total dud, as Geelong would have to pay $550k for 4 years for a 2nds player. Is Bowes better than Cooper Stephens?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well, the good news is the AFL has listened to you all and from now on the rules will be changed.
I hope you are all happy

I'm just going to throw this out there. Is it possible that the AFL actually orchestrated the Bowes trade in order to justify introducing proper contract upholding rules? The AFL does own the Suns after all...

What's the quickest way to cause enough public outrage to rush through new rules that you want to introduce? Maybe orchestrate a trade that hands the reigning premiers several highly valued assets for next to nothing in return?

Now the AFL are free to introduce rules that uphold an existing player contract once they are traded, which is a ruling that should hold every club far more accountable for the contracts they hand out as well as making the salary dumping concept actually work.

If Geelong were to recruit Bowes under these proposed rules then they would need to trade other players out in order to fit Bowes inside their cap for the following two seasons and the incentive to do so would be the pick 7 carrot waiting for them.

Considering they just captured a premiership, it seems unlikely that a team inside a premiership window would take on a contract like that (as well as trading out others) for an expensive player that may not even be best 22 for them. You'd expect a team with lots of cap room and inside a rebuilding phase to do something like that because pick 7 means more to them than a team like Geelong in 2022.

Just a theory but the AFL obviously wields some kind of power over the Suns so it's at the very least plausible. I also understand this could come across as excusing the actions of the club I support and maybe that's what has subconsciously happened here because the alternative just seems hard to accept. So there's that too.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Why would these struggling clubs agree to take on Bowes contract for nothing? Instead of just overpaying their best players. Bringing in an overpaid reject for no reason is a great way to disrupt a locker room.

You have to incentivise the trade if you're GCS. Literally nobody would take it without compensation.

Amazing how only Geelong supporters appear to be pushing the narrative no one would take Bowes on without the incentive, despite clubs scrambling to make the cap floor (which is too high) without overpaying the rest of their list (which results in the Bowes situation).

Almost like there’s some serious bias at play, and a serious lack of understanding of how salary caps work.

No, you don’t actually work at Geelong so you can’t claim to be an expert at managing a salary cap due to the club you support.

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Amazing how only Geelong supporters appear to be pushing the narrative no one would take Bowes on without the incentive, despite clubs scrambling to make the cap floor (which is too high) without overpaying the rest of their list (which results in the Bowes situation).

Almost like there’s some serious bias at play, and a serious lack of understanding of how salary caps work.

No, you don’t actually work at Geelong so you can’t claim to be an expert at managing a salary cap due to the club you support.

And you don't seem to understand that teams trying to make the cap floor will just pay their homegrown players more, not bring in a high-paid failure without an incentive to do so. They'll just front-end contracts for their most promising players and not disrupt the locker room.

Oct 23, 2006
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chi Bulls, LV Raiders
And you don't seem to understand that teams trying to make the cap floor will just pay their homegrown players more, not bring in a high-paid failure without an incentive to do so. They'll just front-end contracts for their most promising players and not disrupt the locker room.
LOL, high paid failure. But that's OK because you smoothed out his salary, would hate to see all your premiership heros get upset with a high priced failure join your club, I hope the locker room at the Cattery is OK.

Great to see you support your players, I hope Jack reads this to see how he's really viewed.

TBH, forgetting pick 7, I would've been happy with him at the Hawks, he's the right type and age to grow with our list and you don't have to look too far (Wright, Brodie, Scrimshaw, Lyons) to see players get out of GC and do well elsewhere.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Geelong rate Bowes highly and see him as best 22. Watch him explode next year

He wont play 8 games unless there are a couple of significant injuries and your pick 7 needs more time in the VFL.

Geelong rated pick 7 highly and sold him the lie that he mattered to them.

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
He wont play 8 games unless there are a couple of significant injuries and your pick 7 needs more time in the VFL.

Geelong rated pick 7 highly and sold him the lie that he mattered to them.
Seeing someone so sad they couldn't pick up a player they don't rate is fantastic. Endless tears, endless joy

Oh he would have played for us. But we arent as good as Geelong.

Will be interesting to see what Geelong want for him in trade in 2 years when he wants out.

Pick 7 + Bowes = ?
You're still melting.

LOL, high paid failure. But that's OK because you smoothed out his salary, would hate to see all your premiership heros get upset with a high priced failure join your club, I hope the locker room at the Cattery is OK.

Great to see you support your players, I hope Jack reads this to see how he's really viewed.

TBH, forgetting pick 7, I would've been happy with him at the Hawks, he's the right type and age to grow with our list and you don't have to look too far (Wright, Brodie, Scrimshaw, Lyons) to see players get out of GC and do well elsewhere.
Is the locker room mood ok at Geelong at the minute? ….yeah I’d say it’s not too bad 😄😄😄

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

I wasn't referring to JB specifically, otherwise I would have named him, I'm just talking about hypothetical future trades and why they wouldn't happen.

And yeah, our dressing room is fine. Geelong can do things other clubs can't. Especially current day Hawthorn.

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong pretty much have to play him even if he's not best 22.
Makes zero sense. There's few times in professional sport when players are chosen to play when they don't deserve it.

Professional sports is the closest thing to a pure meritocracy.

Geelong's current team and aspirations wouldn't fit any of the times it would be acceptable.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Makes zero sense. There's few times in professional sport when players are chosen to play when they don't deserve it.

Professional sports is the closest thing to a pure meritocracy.

Geelong's current team and aspirations wouldn't fit any of the times it would be acceptable.
This is a unique situation. They went out of their way to assure him that pick 7 had nothing to do with wanting him.
They really have to give him games now, at least the first year.

Last edited:
Back