Delisted Jack Bytel

Remove this Banner Ad

Bytel may be in with a sneaky chance at a debut this week against Carlton with Zac Jones out for the next week or two. Luke Dunstan would be the obvious replacement but he is also injured.

Article from the scratch match last week talking up both Bytel and Byrnes so could potentially be a debut for one of them.

1593560187869.png

With Zak Jones in doubt for this week’s clash due to hamstring tightness, Jack Bytel’s natural grunt could be the perfect replacement come Thursday night.

The former Calder Cannons co-captain was touted as a top-five draft pick last season, before niggling back issues saw him slip down the draft order to pick No. 41.

Surgery to repair a bulging disc ruled the sturdy mid out for Season 2019, resulting in all eyes turning towards what Bytel would do in 2020.
https://www.saints.com.au/news/734652/byrnes-bytel-shine-at-punt-rd
Now, under the Thursday night lights of Marvel Stadium, the 20-year-old may finally get his crack at a senior debut.

Bytel has been a standout in the Saints’ past two scratch matches against Collingwood and Richmond, racking up plenty of inside possessions in tandem with Ryan Byrnes.

A year-long back rehabilitation has been frustrating for the young Saint, but senior selection for Thursday night would be the perfect pay-off for his patience.

It's been a long time coming but after being out injured all of last year Jack Bytel is making his debut today against Geelong!
As it's a 4 day break for us it looks like we have rested Zac Jones which has given Jack his chance.

As well as Jones being out we also still have Seb Ross out with an injury so there should be some good midfield minutes for him.
Will be a big test for him coming up against Geelongs midfield but hoping he has a good showing and can hold his spot for another week. Will be a tough ask with both Jones and Ross probably coming back next week though.

Every scratch match report that has come out has said that he played a good game and got plenty of the ball so he's in good form.

Here's a video of Hannebery announcing his debut to the team

Good luck 'Jimmy Bytel'!

Jack managed 2 more matches after his debut but was dropped after that third one as we had some players back from injury.

He definitely impressed though, especially his debut match. Here were his season averages.

1603958687727.png

AAMI Community Series Game 1
Carl 15.9.99 def by StK 19.11.125
Marvel Statium

Didn't get to see much of Jack last night but he did come on after three quarter time and went straight into the centre and didn't look out of place. Seeing him in the flesh for the first time in over 12 months it looks like he has added muscle to his upper body and looks more like an AFL-ready footballer than he did coming out of injury at the start of last year. That said, the fact that he didn't come on until the last quarter shows that he is not in the starting midfield line up but he will get his chances this year perhaps even as early as R1 or R2 with Brad Crouch suspended.

AAMI Community Series Game 1
Carl 15.9.99 def by StK 19.11.125
Marvel Statium

Didn't get to see much of Jack last night but he did come on after three quarter time and went straight into the centre and didn't look out of place. Seeing him in the flesh for the first time in over 12 months it looks like he has added muscle to his upper body and looks more like an AFL-ready footballer than he did coming out of injury at the start of last year. That said, the fact that he didn't come on until the last quarter shows that he is not in the starting midfield line up but he will get his chances this year perhaps even as early as R1 or R2 with Brad Crouch suspended.

definitely gonna get a few games this year IMO. Hard midfield to crack into but absolutely has a future with us.

R1 GWS vs St Kilda
GWS 11.12.78 lost to StK 13.8.86
Giants Stadium

A good serviceable game from Jack in just his 4th match. The standout stats are his 10 tackles (most by any player on the ground) and 6 clearances (eq 2nd best behind Steele). Only 13 disposals (9 kicks, 4 handballs) but I liked that when he did get the ball he didn't try to do too much and often belted it forward as far as he could. While I don't want to see that continue I think it is OK for someone getting used to the speed of senior AFL football and given the slippery conditions. I mentioned he looks bigger in person and that bears up on TV too and hopefully he will develop into a strong midfielder with a bit of class about him.

I suspect he only got a game this week because Zak Jones couldn't play (and Crouch was also unavailable) so I expect that he will be the first one out when Jones is ready to play. Maybe DMac will make way for Jones and Bytel can hold his spot but pressure for midfield spots will only increase in R3 when Crouch has served his suspension. It points to our midfield depth that we have Gresham, Steele, Clarke, Jones, Crouch, Hannebery, Ross, Bytel and Dunstan who can all come in and serve us well when their time comes.

R1 GWS vs St Kilda
GWS 11.12.78 lost to StK 13.8.86
Giants Stadium

A good serviceable game from Jack in just his 4th match. The standout stats are his 10 tackles (most by any player on the ground) and 6 clearances (eq 2nd best behind Steele). Only 13 disposals (9 kicks, 4 handballs) but I liked that when he did get the ball he didn't try to do too much and often belted it forward as far as he could. While I don't want to see that continue I think it is OK for someone getting used to the speed of senior AFL football and given the slippery conditions. I mentioned he looks bigger in person and that bears up on TV too and hopefully he will develop into a strong midfielder with a bit of class about him.

I suspect he only got a game this week because Zak Jones couldn't play (and Crouch was also unavailable) so I expect that he will be the first one out when Jones is ready to play. Maybe DMac will make way for Jones and Bytel can hold his spot but pressure for midfield spots will only increase in R3 when Crouch has served his suspension. It points to our midfield depth that we have Gresham, Steele, Clarke, Jones, Crouch, Hannebery, Ross, Bytel and Dunstan who can all come in and serve us well when their time comes.
On a dirty day, a 4th gamer won the tackle count and got eq 2nd in clearances, also chipping in with 300m gained. About what you want from an inside mid.
In his previous games, Jack has been high on the handball ratio but in this game he showed excellent composure and adaptation, kicking long to dangerous spots. He's coming along beautifully..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R2 - St Kilda vs Melbourne
StK 11.7.73 lost to Melb 12.19.91
Marvel Stadium

Jack came on just before the three quarter time break as the medical sub for Jimmy Webster. Seemed to play on a rampant Clayton Oliver at clearances with predictable results. He did get 6 possessions (2 kicks, 4 handballs) and it will be great experience to play on someone having a red hot night for a quarter.

Barring injuries I expect him to have a run with Sandy next week.

Practice Match - Sandringham vs Essendon
Sandy 13.9.87 defeated Ess 8.10.58
Tullamarine

Will Michael's report on Sandrigham's last practice match before the start of the VFL season proper only has this to say regarding Jack Bytel - Anthony Seaton and Jack Bytel were excellent in defense [sic], as they repelled multiple Essendon attacks and pushed the ball forward.

While it is good to see a positive comment about Jack, I am a bit disappointed he was playing in defence. I would have preferred him to play every minute he can in the middle. Seems to have been a good win in any case so in a dark weekend that is definitely a good outcome.

My best wishes go to Jade Gresham and his horrible season-ending achilles injury but we do need to look for the positives and this should give an opening for Jack to play a string of games in the seniors this year which will make Jack a better player and St Kilda a better team to welcome Gresh back in 2022.

St Kilda Development Coach and Sandringham Senior Coach, Jake Batchelor, had this to say about Bytel in his rundown fo the Saints-listed players who played for Sandy last weekend.

"Jack was probably our best player. He had a good four-quarter performance, was tough inside and had a big focus on transition running between contests.

"His explosion when he had the ball or when he was defending to turn the ball over was a real positive sign.

"He was a really good 'geller' of the groups and made it a big focus that he wanted to get down there and bring a positive energy to the group."

The headline in the report was Bytel brings the energy, Joyce continues run of form. That's as good a wrap as you can get as a young player. Surely he plays against West Coast this week!

R4 - St Kilda vs West Coast Eagles
StK 15.12.102 defeated WCE 13.4.92
Marvel Stadium

We knew with Crouch coming to the club it would take an injury or a sustained lack of form for Jack Bytel to get a decent run of senior footy this year. Unfortunately Gresh was that injury and jack has grabbed his chance with both hands. Each time I have seen him play this year I've noted that he doesn't;t look out of place playing in the midfield against seasoned AFL players. Last night was no exception. Jack had 19 possessions (6 kicks & 13 handballs), 5 clearances and 7 tackles. A good return so early in his career and he doesn't back down from anyone!. Plus he has the skills, on the harbour-side wing he picked up the ball in traffic, spun his way out of trouble and delivered the ball into the forward line. I'm really looking forward to see how he develops over the rest of the year.

I will say it now , although it’s no surprise to anyone. Jack Bytel is going to be a superstar in the future . All those clubs were in the draft who let him slip to us are going to be regretting their decisions if they aren’t all ready . For a kid who has only played a handful of games he is already becoming a tackling beast . He also has super quick hands and can some up a situation much quicker than those around him . He has a bit of Hunter Clark , bit of Jack Steele and the rest is all himself . I hope we have signed him up for a long time as richer clubs are going to come calling very soon , perhaps as early as when ever his contract is due .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back