Player Watch Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless they've changed the voting system, Pendles may struggle to be top 5 due to missing too many games.
I reckon Pendles is good enough to sneak in even with only 16 games under his belt :)

Thought Crispy played a very solid game yesterday.Some of his disposals were woeful but he did accumulate alot.I didn't realise he is 23 yrs old.Seems more mature than that so he has alot of learning time left.Good size and pace.

Been good, contribution good

The fact that we think "he's been good" shows us where this football club is at.

Cannot question his effort and he has a red hot go but football isn't about effort.
That's the baseline minimum every player who takes to the field should give.

His kicking is deplorable.
He can miss team mates by some 20m and he often can't even spin a drop punt correctly.
In fact he's a liability with ball in hand and has a dirty habit of going for the ball one handed as if he thinks he's Pendlebury with ball touch and control.

If we are to seriously improve we need to find players who can push him out of the side and off the list if possible.

We can't keep carrying players who are poor skill executors and poor decision makers- which Crisp is both.

Been very solid across HB. Think we may have found our longer term Tooves replacement.

I like Crisp, however that kick that went out on the full from a mark or free kick was as bad as it gets though....

Very Heater like.

He's actually a reasonable kick when running and kicking in straight lines i.e. towards a player running straight at him on a lead.

His problem is that he lacks touch and feel with his kicking and seems to really struggle with the angled kick. He maybe has some depth perception issues?

I otherwise really like his hardness and pace off half back.

Regarding his kicking, has it deteriorated this year? I don't recall him having as many poor kicks in past years.
Truth is we know he can kick the ball beautifully, we have seen some of those lovely goals from outside 50.
I think he is having a very serviceable year but do think his disposal is getting worse rather than better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall around the time of the trade he was considered a poor user of the ball and then surprised us early. Seems to have reverted to reputation. Having said that trying to find a good user/decision maker is needle in haystack stuff at the moment (he ain't alone).

Needs a right foot

I'd guess there's a fair percentage of players league wide who aren't proficient on their opposite foot. Mystifies me in this day and age that it's not being drummed into them as juniors. Don't even need to be elite, just able to get a kick away.

I'd guess there's a fair percentage of players league wide who aren't proficient on their opposite foot. Mystifies me in this day and age that it's not being drummed into them as juniors. Don't even need to be elite, just able to get a kick away.
They should use clips of Doug Barwick, how to manage a kick on their wrong side. Looked a bit odd, but he was effective on his left foot.

Ofcourse you can go for the classic.

Peter Daicos maestro both sides. But he was a freak

The ability to break both ways, gives more options.

The fact that we think "he's been good" shows us where this football club is at.

Cannot question his effort and he has a red hot go but football isn't about effort.
That's the baseline minimum every player who takes to the field should give.

His kicking is deplorable.
He can miss team mates by some 20m and he often can't even spin a drop punt correctly.
In fact he's a liability with ball in hand and has a dirty habit of going for the ball one handed as if he thinks he's Pendlebury with ball touch and control.

If we are to seriously improve we need to find players who can push him out of the side and off the list if possible.

We can't keep carrying players who are poor skill executors and poor decision makers- which Crisp is both.

This is my opinion also. His kicking and decision making is poor.

I've communicated on a Twitter with Mick McGuane who agrees that he's extremely limited.

This is my opinion also. His kicking and decision making is poor.

I've communicated on a Twitter with Mick McGuane who agrees that he's extremely limited.

No doubt he crammed a full analysis into his 140 characters. Happy for you to add these tweets to the thread. It would help us understand the context.

Been very solid across HB. Think we may have found our longer term Tooves replacement.
Don't think you can compare the two.
Tooves, who had his limitations, was a much better "defender" than Crisp and although shaky at times with disposal, was a genius when compared to Crisp.

Now I know he is hard at it, gets a lot of the ball and can run hard, but he falls short in the 2 basics for a backman.

Defending and disposal.

Some of his kicks on Sunday were deplorable and resulted in goals. A league footballer should be much better than that.

Crisp' disposals efficiency average this season is 74% which is equal with Pendlebury and also better than Dangerfield (66%), Martin (61%) and Tom Mitchell (72%) so for people having a go at his disposal efficiency.. try again.

He may have made a couple howlers on the weekend but who hasnt had a bad kicking game before? Just about every player has.

Crisp' disposals efficiency average this season is 74% which is equal with Pendlebury and also better than Dangerfield (66%), Martin (61%) and Tom Mitchell (72%) so for people having a go at his disposal efficiency.. try again.

He may have made a couple howlers on the weekend but who hasnt had a bad kicking game before? Just about every player has.
Are you seriously comparing the disposal efficiency of inside midfielders with far, far less time and space compared to a half-back? Surely you understand how much harder it is for inside mids to achieve a high DE, given how most of the times they will have to resort to bombing the ball forward.

Liked the move to half back.
If he straightens up his kicking a bit I think we have found a position for him for the next 8 years or so. I didn't realise he was only 23.

He has a pretty decent long kick, just seems when he tries to hit a target 20-25 away the kick misses the mark.

However I like how he takes the game on, pretty solid one on one and strong at the contest.

Be good to have him, Sinclair and Varcoe running off half back next year.

Don't think you can compare the two.
Tooves, who had his limitations, was a much better "defender" than Crisp and although shaky at times with disposal, was a genius when compared to Crisp.

Now I know he is hard at it, gets a lot of the ball and can run hard, but he falls short in the 2 basics for a backman.

Defending and disposal.

Some of his kicks on Sunday were deplorable and resulted in goals. A league footballer should be much better than that.

Yeah, happy to agree to disagree. See the same potential in Crisp in defence that I saw in Tooves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back