Toast Jack Darling - 250 AFL Games

Remove this Banner Ad

B327DD1B-84ED-4E8A-9486-C1B9DD8B96C8.jpeg

When Jack Darling runs out onto the MCG on Sunday for his 250th game he’ll become just the 10th West Coast Eagles player to do so

Even before his vaccination issue earlier this year he was one of our most maligned and misunderstood players. Equally capable of tearing a game apart in 15 minutes of brilliance as he was of brain farts of monumental stupidity. Made the difficult look simple and the simple impossibly difficult

His 2018 GF was a snapshot of his career in many ways. A quiet first half before springing to life in a dominant 3rd quarter that was pivotal in turning the game in our favour. Then when presented with an opportunity to make himself a genuine hero by sealing the win beyond doubt he dropped a simple chest mark

In another contradiction, whilst often inconsistent within games at a bipolar level over his career he’s been remarkably consistent. And durable

He’s played more than 20 games in all but one full season (15 games in 2015). By my count he’s played all but 20 games since arriving at the club for the 2011 season

Excluding his debut year (1.04) and this year (1.31) he’s averaged between 1.67 (2020) and 2.46 (2019 - his AA year) goals per game.

Currently sits 3rd all time on goals kicked for the club with 467 and given he’s contracted until 2024 there’s every chance he will overtake Peter Sumich (514) before he hangs up his boots

For a KPF he’s also 6th all time for tackles showing his effectiveness at providing forward half pressure

It’s a massive achievement for a player who at 191cm is ridiculously undersized for a KPF that should be celebrated by fans with the respect he deserves, something which has not always been forthcoming during his career

Thank you Jack and good luck on Sunday

* For the record we are 6-3 in 250th milestone games but 7 of those were at home. Our two away 250th games we’ve lost, one of which was Guy McKenna’s at the MCG against Richmond in 1999

Last edited:
View attachment 1436233

When Jack Darling runs out onto the MCG on Sunday he’ll become just the 10th West Coast Eagles player to do so

Even before his vaccination issue earlier this year he was one of our most maligned and misunderstood players. Equally capable of tearing a game apart in 15 minutes of brilliance as he was of brain farts of monumental stupidity. Made the difficult look simple and the simple impossibly difficult

His 2018 GF was a snapshot of his career in many ways. A quiet first half before springing to life in n a dominant 3rd quarter that was pivotal in turning the game in our favour. Then when presented with an opportunity to make himself a genuine hero by sealing the win beyond doubt he dropped a simple chest mark

In another contradiction, whilst often inconsistent within games at a bipolar level over his career he’s been remarkably consistent. And durable

He’s played more than 20 games in all but one full season (15 games in 2015). By my count he’s played all but 20 games since arriving at the club for the 2011 season

Excluding his debut year (1.04) and this year (1.31) he’s averaged between 1.67 (2020) and 2.46 (2019 - his AA year) goals per game.

Currently sits 3rd all time on goals kicked for the club with 467 and given he’s contracted until 2024 there’s every chance he will overtake Peter Sumich (514) before he hangs up his boots

For a KPF he’s also 6th all time for tackles showing his effectiveness at providing forward half pressure

It’s a massive achievement for a player who at 191cm is ridiculously undersized for a KPF that should be celebrated by fans with the respect he deserves, something which has not always been forthcoming during his career

Thank you Jack and good luck on Sunday

* For the record we are 6-3 in 250th milestone games but 7 of those were at home. Our two away 250th games we’ve lost, one of which was Guy McKenna’s at the MCG against Richmond in 1999
That pic makes me reeaaaaal nervous about him dropping something.

Oh, and congrats Jack. A fine career to date, we love ya, ya dumb donut.

One of the players I respect the most on our team. A top 10 forward (by any statistic) who managed to maintain that level playing second fiddle to a dual Coleman medallist. Performed since day 1 and was able to lead the forward line in his second year (unheard of in modern times). His durability is also taken for granted and he should become our next 300 game player.

He is not perfect and doesn't look like he will ever make that jump to be one of the best of his generation. It has always irritated me how he has become a scapegoat with our supporters just because he didn't hit JK levels (is it even possible to have two forwards do that in one team?). An absolute bargain as a second round selection and we're blessed that the club never listened to the peanuts and tried to trade him when the chips were down.

Darlings career summer up in a quarter
-Strong contested grabs
-Accurate set shot
-Strange decision making
-Dropped easy uncontested marks
-Great snaps

Bloke is a beast, honestly to have kicked 400+ when playing along side other massive goal kickers in JK and Lecras is a very good return. His footy smarts are great, love the spoils he does when out of position, either to the boundary or over the back of his head for a small to run on to.

Always keeps his feet, very hard if not impossible to be brought down, wouldn't say great below his knees but less fumbles than JK when collecting ground balls and evading tackles.

Often plays 100% TOG, often kicks come his way but are sat on his head. Like Cripps he does a mountain of work in that forward line.

Great set shot and a really good field kick as well which often goes unnoticed. I'd rather him delivering forward than a lot of our midfielders.

We'd be lucky to find another one like him, if Allen has a career resembling him we'd be lucky.

Let's not forget he is only about 191cm tall, quite undersized for what he does.

Trade him out, it's amazing at the games this year how much he is hated for his covid stance
only changing his mind when he realised he would lose a lot of money

He changed his mind when an alternate vaccine was approved

I didn’t agree with his stance or the way he went about it with the club buts it’s incorrect imo to say he only changed his mind when he realised he’d be losing money

He’s great. A genuine star player who showed a tantalising glimpse of being the best player in the comp for that first half of 2018.

Has his hilarious moments, seemingly it’s what’s held him back from being a Hall of Fame level talent, but * me thank god for that school camp.

Pick 26 has turned into 467 goals, 249 games, an All Aus, four time club leading goal scorer and nine times in the top ten of our B+F.

Consistently available for selection and, having just turned 30 a week or so ago, he could crack 300 if he’s keen to stay.

An underrated skill of his is very rarely losing contests on the wing. He’s a beast at running up and back against two defenders, but the bloke is consistently good at either winning them with a mark, or just spoiling to the boundary when he knows he won’t get there. His work rate over the last decade has been invaluable.

Well summed up Keys; when he’s got less time to think and more playing on instinct, he’s untouchable.

Works his ass off and has found some nice form over the past month or so, hopefully he has a ripper.

Kind of irrelevant to his forward craft but I used to love watching him mowing down campaigners with his tackling pressure. Between him and NN those early 2010s were the pinnacle of our forward defensive pressure.

Anyway, at this point he's family. Have to roll your eyes at some of the things he does but 🤷‍♂️

Trade him out, it's amazing at the games this year how much he is hated for his covid stance
only changing his mind when he realised he would lose a lot of money
The crowd were seriously on him early, but I think as he’s played his best footy since his return everyone has moved on at recent home games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of irrelevant to his forward craft but I used to love watching him mowing down campaigners with his tackling pressure. Between him and NN those early 2010s were the pinnacle of our forward defensive pressure.

Anyway, at this point he's family. Have to roll your eyes at some of the things he does but 🤷‍♂️

Second ever game I believe.

Great write up Keys.

He is massively underrated by most, yet very consistent with his output.

We have been pretty fortunate to have the JK-JD duo for so long.

JD looks every chance to become our 2nd 300th gamer too, and hopefully second on the WCE all time goal kicker list.

Jako's first game for WCE was at 18 years and 77 days old. Considering he is a March birthday he was drafted at 17 and playing in a Key Position role at AFL level in what would be his U18 season in today's terms. I think if it wasn't for the knee injury he would have not only got to 300 but rather than being regarded as one of the great CHB's he would be unilaterally regarded as the greatest CHB of all time.

Also tried to work out “least games missed to get to 250” but it was too hard. Maybe I’ll try again.

West Coast Eagles since 2011:

2011 25
2012 49
2013 71
2014 93
2015 118
2016 141
2017 165
2018 190
2019 214
2020 232
2021 254
2022 268.

That's 19 games without Jack.

Absolute gun. Interesting to think, he's shared most of his career with JK. What would each player be without the other? They have worked the 50 so well between each other for so long. You rarely see them in each other's way. The way they create space for each other surely puts them up there with the best key forward pairing of their generation. I'd guess that Kennedy probably wouldn't have made the 700 club without JD as his offsider, keeping defenders honest.

Anyway, congratulations to JD. May his reign continue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back