Jack Darling and Cam Ellis-Yolmen

Remove this Banner Ad

MV5BOTk5ZjYyZTMtYzYwOC00NmJiLTk1OGQtZTMxY2I1YWQ3ZjJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,47,500,281_.jpg

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall listening to conversations between Darling and the West Coast club doctor and other team officials (ditto CEY). I guess it would demonstrate that logic and common sense has no place in their world. When they are stood down, the AFL, Bris and WCE should redirect their considerable salaries as a healthcare donation to families with members who are affected by long term health conditions and who have legit reasons and barriers to not get jabbed.

I do wonder if their opinions have been affected by the recent comments from the Pfizer CEO.

Pfizer’s chief executive has revealed that two doses of the current Covid-19 vaccine offer “very limited protection, if any” against Omicron.

They didn't get vaccinated 6 months ago when they should have because of an article from a couple of weeks ago that anti vaxers have latched on to because they are very dumb?

Both currently stood down for refusing to be vaxxed .

Interesting to see how this pans out.

Lions midfielder moved to inactive list after refusing COVID vaccine - https://www.afl.com.au/news/697377

When we were told that being unvaccinated is a risk to your workplace, mandates were an obvious and reasonable measure to put in place. As tested in the BHP case, "right result, wrong process, do it again". But now we know that vaccination is only a tool to improve one's own outcome and overall reduction of pressure on the hospital system. Which falls well outside the scope of the WHS Acts across the country.

The Crows nurse chick and a couple of cops are up soon in a class action against SA Gov, but being a government might be a bit different. One of their grounds according to article today, is the vaccinated to vaccinated transmission issue. Given what we now know, I doubt any private enterprise mandate on existing workers would be lawful under WHS Acts, but there also seems zero appetite out there to challenge. And I'd not put it past the AFL to just pay out the contracts to avoid the poor optics.

When was the deadline? For all we know, Darling was waiting until the last minute to get the injection.

And you don't have to be an 'anti vaxxer' to realise the significance of what the Pfizer CEO has stated about the vaccines.

In his words, the double dose offers 'little if any' protection from Omicron.

Wrong. It offers little protection to contracting the virus. However it still offers significant protection in terms of severe illness (hospitalisation and death).

You mean for a virus which is highly unlikely to hospitalise people below 60 in the first place?

Can you at least see why people like Darling and CEY (and so many others) are not keen to take the injections?

You don't have to agree with them, but can you at least see where they are coming from?

what about long covid which statistically is very likely even in younger people. its not all about hospitalisation

Also you are paying these guys big bucks yet with the current laws they wont be able to participate in the comp. Not really being team players now are they

When we were told that being unvaccinated is a risk to your workplace, mandates were an obvious and reasonable measure to put in place. As tested in the BHP case, "right result, wrong process, do it again". But now we know that vaccination is only a tool to improve one's own outcome and overall reduction of pressure on the hospital system. Which falls well outside the scope of the WHS Acts across the country.

The Crows nurse chick and a couple of cops are up soon in a class action against SA Gov, but being a government might be a bit different. One of their grounds according to article today, is the vaccinated to vaccinated transmission issue. Given what we now know, I doubt any private enterprise mandate on existing workers would be lawful under WHS Acts, but there also seems zero appetite out there to challenge. And I'd not put it past the AFL to just pay out the contracts to avoid the poor optics.

This is not true. Symptomatic people spread the virus more than asymptomatic, and you are much more likely to be symptomatic if unvaccinated.

I bet nothing offers more protection than being an elite athlete.
Sure, other than vaccines you may be right. Plenty of "elite athletes" have become very unwell with the virus. Joel Embiid, Khamzat Chimaev, Cody Garbrandt etc. There's probably a list somewhere if you like. Being fit and healthy is great but doesn't make you immune.

Evidently nothing does.
But if you can be in elite shape you'll do much better than unfit, obese people who definitely need all the help they can get.

Yep, and they can also be a useful member of society and contribute to the protection of the community as a whole by getting the damn vaccine. Darling is a stupid flog.

Does the vaccine stop transmission when you're an elite athlete now but barely at all when you're an obese unfit member of society?

He gets penalised for being a stupid flog not willing to contribute to the greater good of society. It's not really about him being a medical risk anymore.

The incentive/disincentive carrot and stick approach to vaccine was necessary to get us to such a high vaccination rate. If we let flogs choose then we'd probably be sitting around 75% with hospitals even more overflowing with unvaxxed dingleberries.

wouldnt want to have a choice about what goes into your body now, would we? Much better for corporate pirates to make the decision for us...

How many vaccines did you not get a choice on?

How many affected you with anything more than a sore arm - which given you were 6 months / 12 months / 24 months / 5 years old probably didnt affect you much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember back in the day when Jack Darling slid in the draft because recruiters were worried about him being a loose cannon, based on him having a (consensual) threesome on school camp and resulting in his expulsion.

... little did we know that the day would come true that he was actually a bit of an idiot.

*the threesome was still legendary

Possibly a bit of a bonus for Lions. CEY doesn't seem to be in their plans, so it provides a good opportunity to cut his contract early and save that $, plus get someone on the rookie list who might be more useful.

Darling's a different proposition for WCE. I guess we'll see if he's open to the incoming Novavax as a more traditional vaccine. The club might be more willing to wait if there's a chance that COVID goes away and vaccine mandates can be relaxed later this year or in 2023 (noting he's contracted until 2025).

Possibly a bit of a bonus for Lions. CEY doesn't seem to be in their plans, so it provides a good opportunity to cut his contract early and save that $, plus get someone on the rookie list who might be more useful.

Darling's a different proposition for WCE. I guess we'll see if he's open to the incoming Novavax as a more traditional vaccine. The club might be more willing to wait if there's a chance that COVID goes away and vaccine mandates can be relaxed later this year or in 2023 (noting he's contracted until 2025).

Given his age, I'd say he's done if he doesn't get a vaccine to be honest.

Sure, other than vaccines you may be right. Plenty of "elite athletes" have become very unwell with the virus. Joel Embiid, Khamzat Chimaev, Cody Garbrandt etc. There's probably a list somewhere if you like. Being fit and healthy is great but doesn't make you immune.
Hear Glenn Maxwell last week saying he was pretty unwell when he had it

Hear Glenn Maxwell last week saying he was pretty unwell when he had it

Top level professional footballer in his prime was out for two months with COVID-related issues, and he's still not at full flight.

Yes, he was anti-vax - key word, 'was', because thankfully he's seen the light.

Top level professional footballer in his prime was out for two months with COVID-related issues, and he's still not at full flight.

Yes, he was anti-vax - key word, 'was', because thankfully he's seen the light.

It is incredibly sad the amount of stories that nurses and doctors tell of people on their death beds wishing for the vaccine. It's incredibly sad. Such preventable death.

Darling is their best forward. Kennedy is cooked and Allen is still developing.
Massive loss but I guess he's made his millions and can't retire without any headaches.

It is incredibly sad the amount of stories that nurses and doctors tell of people on their death beds wishing for the vaccine. It's incredibly sad. Such preventable death.

I doubt toomany anti vaxxers in hospitals are saying no the the drugs they are given - and I doubt they research them either.

Wrong. It offers little protection to contracting the virus. However it still offers significant protection in terms of severe illness (hospitalisation and death).
FWIW, my daughter has COVID.

She is a child and is unvax'd.

We've been in isolation with her for a week. None of us have caught it. We're all vax'd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back