Opinion Jack Darling to the Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Like all players he should be put under the spotlight but as a player that contributes over 40 goals most seasons he should probably not be judged so harshly.

I agree that he has not really gotten better since his second season but that was a very good season and his years since have been pretty good. I think he gets judged by a handful of moments more than his overall contribution which has been pretty good. Most clubs would love to have someone that can kick 40 plus goals in the shadow of a Coleman medalist.
I disagree, he needs to bring more than 40 goals. Why can't another forward come in and kick those goals? It's not like he is doing good things to kick those goals, the ball is kicked to him. He doesn't create that much.

Darling can kick goals until the cows come home, it doesn't mean much if he's diluting peoples opinions of his game with soft efforts, playing for free kicks or generally being a spud by spilling basic chest marks :raisedhands:

When do we ever complain about JK playing for free kicks on this board? Never. And he gets scragged often.

If he cuts that s**t out of his game i guarantee the 'harsh' criticism will ease up.

I really do find the criticism of JD quite incredible, it has become a bit groupthinky for mine.
He's a good player, likely overpaid. Crux is he makes simple but critical mistakes, and has a penchant for simulation. I used to love him as an accurate shot at goal, however, I feel if you subtracted the negative aspects he brings to the team there's a strong change it would be a positive overall.

He's a good player, likely overpaid. Crux is he makes simple but critical mistakes, and has a penchant for simulation. I used to love him as an accurate shot at goal, however, I feel if you subtracted the negative aspects he brings to the team there's a strong change it would be a positive overall.

I feel the dropped chest mark v Hawks (and he certainly wasn't on his Pat Malone that day) and the incident with Dunkley are being used to magnify errors that every player makes.

I'm not sure he simulates, he is usually being scragged in some way. He probably would be better if he kept his feet a little more now and then. A criticism that can be levelled at every player, ever.

Not to sure that his negatives vis-à-vis his contemporaries see him anyway other than very close to the top of the 2nd/3rd tall pile.

I feel the dropped chest mark v Hawks (and he certainly wasn't on his Pat Malone that day) and the incident with Dunkley are being used to magnify errors that every player makes.

I'm not sure he simulates, he is usually being scragged in some way. He probably would be better if he kept his feet a little more now and then. A criticism that can be levelled at every player, ever.

Not to sure that his negatives vis-à-vis his contemporaries see him anyway other than very close to the top of the 2nd/3rd tall pile.
The incidents you mention are the tip of the iceberg.For me he is not hard enough at the contest.he has countless opportunities to impose himself physically but never takes them.he falls over in a contest but doesnt jump up and dive into the contest again.Hes a good mark and good kick and maybe he works hard to make space for Jk but its the small things,the hard things,the tough things or lack of them.Instead of a somasault or wave of the arms in the air id like to see some fiery passion.He comes across as somebody playing within himself and happy to leave it at that.Unfortunately when the going gets tough and he goes shopping he takes Cripps and Lecca with him.Its bloody contagious.

I think he's been overly maligned for a couple of spilled chest marks on the big day out..did some good things when JK was out and in finals...but his playing for free's -like Cox- is really an annoying habit, as are the ninja flips..!
possibly the Jack in Jack's head is bigger than the Jack on the field?
As someone els said, JK is scragged and gang-banged and clipped in the back of head and stumbled on top of and shoved in the back all day long, often carrying an injury...and he just gets on with it.
Jack should've worked his way through all that tag n' scrag stuff by now..

Last edited:
Unfortunately the appalling drops arent restricted to the 15 granny. This JLT season has been littered with them. He is a hot or cold player. when he is cold he is awful to watch, when he is on but he is great. I think he did a great job in JKs absence last year and in the final game against the Crows he really stood up when we needed him to and took a great courageous mark running with the flight into the goal post which ultimately ensured we got in the top 8.
I'd still have him in our team any day of the week but my god he needs to pull out of his JLT funk on Sunday if we are going to have a chance against the Swans, his preseason games have been diabolical.

I've always thought he was very hard at the initial contest but then fails to make a second/third impact for variety of reasons.

It is somewhat comical to comment on a players mindset/attitudes knowing very little about them.

I definitely agree about JJK and I love the way he gets on with it. You do wonder which approach is better as one feels if JJK played up a little more he might get a few more free kicks.

Luke Shuey had a horrendous JLT, trade Luke Shuey.

I've always thought he was very hard at the initial contest but then fails to make a second/third impact for variety of reasons.

It is somewhat comical to comment on a players mindset/attitudes knowing very little about them.

I definitely agree about JJK and I love the way he gets on with it. You do wonder which approach is better as one feels if JJK played up a little more he might get a few more free kicks.

Luke Shuey had a horrendous JLT, trade Luke Shuey.
I think your second comment is wrong.Why cant we comment on a player who we have seen play every one of his AFL games? Darling is hard at the marking contest but not at the body contest.Shueys form was an aberration; Darlings was a continuation. Commenting doesnt make us right its our way of venting.If you look at Bachar Houli at Richmond ive always thought he was an average spud and if i was a Tiges supporter i would have been screaming for his head years ago.Yet come the biggest stage of all he was;or should have been; BOG! Shows how much i know!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he came into the team in 2011 he was known for defensive efforts and doing the little things. He doesn't do any of that no more.

For those saying every club would be wanting a second forward as good as JD, heres the list of the top 20 last year (he finished 17th). Adelaide and GWS had 3 players in the top 20, Port, WCE and Essendon with 2. In fact it kind of mimics the top 8. These 2nd forwards don't seem that hard to find, seems more a product of success. If he's not doing the team things and being a ******* pussy, he goes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 9.48.28 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 9.48.28 pm.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 4
When he came into the team in 2011 he was known for defensive efforts and doing the little things. He doesn't do any of that no more.

Anecdotal rubbish.

For those saying every club would be wanting a second forward as good as JD, heres the list of the top 20 last year (he finished 17th). Adelaide and GWS had 3 players in the top 20, Port, WCE and Essendon with 2. In fact it kind of mimics the top 8. These 2nd forwards don't seem that hard to find, seems more a product of success. If he's not doing the team things and being a ******* pussy, he goes.

You know the difference between a first and second forward yeah? You can scrub 10 players from that list and Danger who is an absolute freak. Darling is in the top echelon of secondary targets.

I think your second comment is wrong.Why cant we comment on a player who we have seen play every one of his AFL games? Darling is hard at the marking contest but not at the body contest.Shueys form was an aberration; Darlings was a continuation. Commenting doesnt make us right its our way of venting.If you look at Bachar Houli at Richmond ive always thought he was an average spud and if i was a Tiges supporter i would have been screaming for his head years ago.Yet come the biggest stage of all he was;or should have been; BOG! Shows how much i know!

You seem to contradict yourself about three times in this post so I'm just going to leave it.

xo

I think that table makes him look quite good. 18 teams in the league and he is 17th with JK obviously our primary. He is 10th on that list for marks too.

I think that table makes him look quite good. 18 teams in the league and he is 17th with JK obviously our primary. He is 10th on that list for marks too.
I think you and ol' Bobby up above are missing the point.Darling is a very good footballer; you have to be to consistently kick that amount of goals.Unfortunately he joins a a list of people that go to water on the big stage.I categorise him as a player who will help get you to finals but wont help you win them.Maybe with changing personel and changing structures he may go that last level but im not holding my breath.

I think you and ol' Bobby up above are missing the point.Darling is a very good footballer; you have to be to consistently kick that amount of goals.Unfortunately he joins a a list of people that go to water on the big stage.I categorise him as a player who will help get you to finals but wont help you win them.Maybe with changing personel and changing structures he may go that last level but im not holding my breath.
Because of 2 finals out of how many hes played? He actually played ok in the Bulldogs one apart from a couple of noticeable brain fades. He was cooked in 2015 too after joining the team half way through with a limited preseason. Thats the only thing people remember though. They forget the effort in other finals where he has been a solid contributor.

To put it in laymens terms, Darling is a piss weak campaigner :highheel:

Respect for him peaked midway through the 2013 season and it has been steadily going down for years on end. To think he was more of a big game player in his first couple of seasons than he is now show's just how much his development has stalled.

My only explanation was that things changed completely once Lynch was traded and he was no longer a 3rd tall forward.

Either you are trollin', have a very selective memory or are in fact a nutcase.

2011 semi - 3 goals in a 3 point win.
2012 elim - 4 glorious goals in routing the kangas

A quiet 2015 finals campaign with a goal in each game. As pointed out above a limited pre season was starting to show.

2016 elim -2 goals v eventual premiers, one bad moment with Dunkley.

2017 elim- 3 goals in the epic v Port.

Yeah doesn't win you finals.

The majority of those guys are not “the second forward”. Franklin, Kennedy, Daniher, Walker, Riewoldt, Brown, Hawkins, Dixon, Cameron and Lynch are all the main forward for their teams. That’s 10 of the 16 that you listed ahead of him. Others include small forwards - Betts, Greene, Gray. Those that play the 2nd tall forward role that finished above him are Jenkins and Patton who I think it is fair to say got a bit better delivery to work off.

To put it in laymens terms, Darling is a piss weak campaigner :highheel:

Very average post.

Respect for him peaked midway through the 2013 season and it has been steadily going down for years on end. To think he was more of a big game player in his first couple of seasons than he is now show's just how much his development has stalled.

My only explanation was that things changed completely once Lynch was traded and he was no longer a 3rd tall forward.

Or JJK really taking over, a change in game style combined with the fact his drop off is at least as much imagined as it is real.

EDIT

The change in midfield personnel can also not be understated in this perceived drop off IMO.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back