Opinion Jack Darling to the Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

you are not implying our deliver is other that smart and accurate to our forwards advantage.

the secret plan to bomb it high and long to a pack clearly favours JD and others

He is also a bit head soft in big moments/games

Jack isn't smart enough for the midfield. Just give him ball, so he can kick ball.
yeh, often wonder about individual player smarts and the collective team smarts - compared to other teams, particularly those that win GF's. Hurn, Jack, Yeo, Butler are a few that come to mind..
perhaps collectively the eagles are a dumb team- re tactics+strategies and spontaneous reactions to a shifting game..
but on a positive, listening to Barrass and Gov for example, there's definite leadership smarts there!!

Either you are trollin', have a very selective memory or are in fact a nutcase.

2011 semi - 3 goals in a 3 point win.
2012 elim - 4 glorious goals in routing the kangas

A quiet 2015 finals campaign with a goal in each game. As pointed out above a limited pre season was starting to show.

2016 elim -2 goals v eventual premiers, one bad moment with Dunkley.

2017 elim- 3 goals in the epic v Port.

Yeah doesn't win you finals.
You pay too much attention to what he does do and none to what he doesnt do!

The majority of those guys are not “the second forward”. Franklin, Kennedy, Daniher, Walker, Riewoldt, Brown, Hawkins, Dixon, Cameron and Lynch are all the main forward for their teams. That’s 10 of the 16 that you listed ahead of him. Others include small forwards - Betts, Greene, Gray. Those that play the 2nd tall forward role that finished above him are Jenkins and Patton who I think it is fair to say got a bit better delivery to work off.
Doesn't necessarily mean he's a great 2nd option, to me it points out that most top 8 teams had two players in the top 20. Look at eaglesnutcase post above. I have no doubt that if we dropped Jack Darling for Waterman by the end of next year at the latest, Watermans output would be of equal to what JD is producing, if not better. He is a weak campaigner, scared of the contest and a little ******* bitch. The fact that there's rumours he's on the most at our club is every bit as disgraceful as his efforts in the grand final. Someone on big big big money needs to at least care and he clearly doesn't. Until he shows me that he's turned the corner and willing to put his head over it, I don't think he should play.

Last edited:
Doesn't necessarily mean he's a great 2nd option, to me it points out that most top 8 teams had two players in the top 20. Look at eaglesnutcase post above. I have no doubt that if we dropped Jack Darling for Waterman by the end of next year at the latest, Watermans output would be of equal to what JD is producing, if not better. He is a weak campaigner, scared of the contest and a little ******* bitch. The fact that there's rumours he's on the most at our club is every bit as disgraceful as his efforts in the grand final. Someone on big big big money needs to at least care and he clearly doesn't. Until he shows me that he's turned the corner and willing to put his head over it, I don't think he should play.

PS have you ever seen instagrams of him with other players....

I don't know what he is on. My overall view is simply that he has never had a poor year and in the big picture I think does not deserve to cop the flak he does. But that's just my opinion.

I have never seen instagram at all so sorry I can't comment there.

Anyway different opinions is what this board is about and it would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

You pay too much attention to what he does do and none to what he doesnt do!

Talk about moving the goal posts.

You said he didn't (bolded for emphasis) perform in finals, I posted some stats that show he does. If there is a lack of attention here it is emanating from you.

PS have you ever seen instagrams of him with other players....

I have no doubt that if you were in charge of a football club that football club would finish bottom most years.

Talk about moving the goal posts.

You said he didn't (bolded for emphasis) perform in finals, I posted some stats that show he does. If there is a lack of attention here it is emanating from you.

I have no doubt that if you were in charge of a football club that football club would finish bottom most years.
Yep stats wins a lot of games.You must not watch the game.Do you just open the paper and look at "stats"?.Yep he was our best player again.

Yep stats wins a lot of games.You must not watch the game.Do you just open the paper and look at "stats"?.Yep he was our best player again.

Stats do win games, if the total points stat is less than your opponents you lose.

I also do both (watch and look at stats) and am not claiming Darling is our best player. Are you bad at comprehension or just trolling?

Would you care to add something substantive or will you just continue to make cheapshots backed up by nothing other than the vibe?

Stats do win games, if the total points stat is less than your opponents you lose.

I also do both (watch and look at stats) and am not claiming Darling is our best player. Are you bad at comprehension or just trolling?

Would you care to add something substantive or will you just continue to make cheapshots backed up by nothing other than the vibe?
I have continually tried to get the point across that JD goes missing / doesnt comitt to contests/doesnt give the physical leadership his size and experience should;Yes he kicks a good bag of goals every year [ so does Jenkins ] but now especially with more youngens coming in he needs to show leadership not sit in his stats/comfort zone.You should stop putting in your narky comments as my thoughts seem to be echoed by quite a few other posters.Why?? From your posts i gather that nobody here has a clue except you.

Stats win fantasy games, ticker wins premierships. With the plethora of forwards of his size now, any lack of non negotiable team rules of putting your head over the footy should see him dropped for the untried players.

If you just base football on stats, you mr bob are a fantasy fool and not a football head

I have continually tried to get the point across that JD goes missing / doesnt comitt to contests/doesnt give the physical leadership his size and experience should;Yes he kicks a good bag of goals every year [ so does Jenkins ] but now especially with more youngens coming in he needs to show leadership not sit in his stats/comfort zone.

Where is your evidence of these things.

I somewhat understand your criticisms, while initially he attacks a contest hard he does tend to fall away to the outside of it.

I think you, and others, are being hyper critical in light of a few bad moments (as previously mentioned a dropped chest mark in the GF, Dunkley).

On balance, IMO, he is in the very good/elite category for his position.

You should stop putting in your narky comments as my thoughts seem to be echoed by quite a few other posters.Why??

My comments aren't narky. You had a cheap shot I returned serve.

From your posts i gather that nobody here has a clue except you.

I assume this is ironic, as you are putting forward a similar vibe. It is called debate.

Stats win fantasy games, ticker wins premierships. With the plethora of forwards of his size now, any lack of non negotiable team rules of putting your head over the footy should see him dropped for the untried players.

The only example of this I can think of is the Dunkley incident. I'm sure playing some first year kpfs will work out swell.

If you just base football on stats, you mr bob are a fantasy fool and not a football head

Boy o boy. I have never said anything that could be construed as saying stats are all that matters and if that is what you've taken out of all this then I can't do much for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he came into the team in 2011 he was known for defensive efforts and doing the little things. He doesn't do any of that no more.

For those saying every club would be wanting a second forward as good as JD, heres the list of the top 20 last year (he finished 17th). Adelaide and GWS had 3 players in the top 20, Port, WCE and Essendon with 2. In fact it kind of mimics the top 8. These 2nd forwards don't seem that hard to find, seems more a product of success. If he's not doing the team things and being a ******* pussy, he goes.
That list includes 6 small forwards.
So that leaves darling in the top 11 tall forwards in the comp.

I think you, and others, are being hyper critical in light of a few bad moments (as previously mentioned a dropped chest mark in the GF,
It's not just one dropped chest mark though, that's just the one everyone remembers. He drops easy chest marks just about every game. It's a skill most competent under 12s manage to master and he continually drops them.
Besides that and the fact he's always throwing his head around like his necks made of a slinky that everyone usually brings up about him, he's also got hands of stone, the opposite of a one touch player. He's not tall enough to be a true second key forward but he's not good enough on the ground to get the ball when he inevitably drops a mark.
Sure he does what he's supposed to stats wise but as someone said before the game's not all about stats. Imo he was a better player in his first 2-3 seasons than he is now.

Where is your evidence of these things.

I somewhat understand your criticisms, while initially he attacks a contest hard he does tend to fall away to the outside of it.

I think you, and others, are being hyper critical in light of a few bad moments (as previously mentioned a dropped chest mark in the GF, Dunkley).

On balance, IMO, he is in the very good/elite category for his position.

My comments aren't narky. You had a cheap shot I returned serve.

I assume this is ironic, as you are putting forward a similar vibe. It is called debate.

His evidence is watching games continually and knowing when he’s being a soft prick. Those big moments happened in big games and were the top of the iceberg. It’s a pattern. Open your eyes when you watch him. He’s needed to be dropped for 2 years now for at least a month to send a message and it hasn’t happened. His bad habits are worse now because he’s a more senior player that is relied upon to set a positive example and he’s done the opposite.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn't mind seeing him in at a centre bounce or on a wing. He needs more variety as there are some defenders who can match him aerobically and he literally goes missing. Very talented footy player, lacks a bit of mongrel but is a king fu expert.
Looks a bit out of form for me.

yeh, often wonder about individual player smarts and the collective team smarts - compared to other teams, particularly those that win GF's. Hurn, Jack, Yeo, Butler are a few that come to mind..
perhaps collectively the eagles are a dumb team- re tactics+strategies and spontaneous reactions to a shifting game..
but on a positive, listening to Barrass and Gov for example, there's definite leadership smarts there!!
Yes at times last year after some of the losses can remember thinking at the time "that was just dumb football" - whether it's the players or coaches fault is the question?

Did you know that if you exclude all the times Darling has showed ticker, stood up in finals and been influential in winning a game of footy he really doesn't show any ticker, stand up in finals or have any influence in winning games of footy?
Who has?? We haven't exactly excelled as a team in this department for the last couple of years. Jack is just one of many who haven't performed - think the team was left scarred following the 2015 GF loss unfortunately.

Who has?? We haven't exactly excelled as a team in this department for the last couple of years. Jack is just one of many who haven't performed - think the team was left scarred following the 2015 GF loss unfortunately.
If any player is mentally scarred from a game of football I'd put them on the scrap heap. They're too weak minded to excel at AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back