Jack Darling

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
The good thing for us is that when JJK/Darling have their inevitable lull in form (or injury), the other tends to hit a purple patch. So we at least have in-form forward coverage. Since 2012-13 their workrate/forward pressure has also been immense.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Is one of the comps forwards who can still grab a game by the neck and win it off his boot. Genuine star when he's going.

Having said that has made some brutal grand final day blunders, some really bad ones.

Made up for it with his 2018 GF 3rd quarter. Granted if we had lost after he dropped a mark in the goal square he would be forever known for that single moment but we won so let's focus on the 4 contested marks he took instead.

I don't know what his stats were at half time but they wouldn't have been much above doughnuts. Finished with 12 touches, 7 marks and a goal and was #1 on the ground for contested marks.

He is an odd case study. Even over the last month. Kicked 4 against Freo in a 15 goal win but wasn't dominant and didn't feature in the votes. We beat Melbourne comfortably at home and he kicked 1.0 out of 14.22 and was barely sighted. Then he goes and kicks 5.2 and takes 4 contested marks in horrible conditions against the Hawks and was important yesterday when we turned in a pretty flat effort. Last year he polled Brownlow votes away to GWS, turned in the individual game of the year against Richmond, then polled away against Brisbane and in two easy wins against the Dogs. No pattern to it at all.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Made up for it with his 2018 GF 3rd quarter. Granted if we had lost after he dropped a mark in the goal square he would be forever known for that single moment but we won so let's focus on the 4 contested marks he took instead.

I don't know what his stats were at half time but they wouldn't have been much above doughnuts. Finished with 12 touches, 7 marks and a goal and was #1 on the ground for contested marks.

He is an odd case study. Even over the last month. Kicked 4 against Freo in a 15 goal win but wasn't dominant and didn't feature in the votes. We beat Melbourne comfortably at home and he kicked 1.0 out of 14.22 and was barely sighted. Then he goes and kicks 5.2 and takes 4 contested marks in horrible conditions against the Hawks and was important yesterday when we turned in a pretty flat effort. Last year he polled Brownlow votes away to GWS, turned in the individual game of the year against Richmond, then polled away against Brisbane and in two easy wins against the Dogs. No pattern to it at all.
yeah he was important especially in the second half of that granny. Not to mention how helpful he is to Kennedy, allowing him to not be the sole focus of the opposition defenders in marking contests. I reckon he's going to become the clear key forward for west coast soon as Kennedy ages. I can picture Darling kicking 60+ accompanied by a solid 40 from JK, and hopefully 25 or so each for Ryan, Rioli, Cameron, Allen etc. Depends how long Kennedy can hang on for I guess, but that forward line looms as dangerous for the future. Has a real hawthorn threepeat type feel about it to me.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
jack darlingggggggg.jpg

Get back. Get back boy!

Warm sunny day in Perth against average opposition. Jack Darling likes this. Let’s see how he goes this week

Well his career best was against Richmond last year, so he's got form against them

21 Disposals
15 Marks
6 goals

Last edited:
Warm sunny day in Perth against average opposition. Jack Darling likes this. Let’s see how he goes this week
Well he certainly made a mess of the traffic cone who was tasked with opposing him.

On topic, though, equal fourth in the Coleman this year, critical part of the flag last year (both during the season and during the GF itself). Recently signed a four year deal to make him an Eagle for life effectively.

Long live the king.

Duh you don't say.

At the time it wasn't that controversial an opinion especially for Freo fans. Darling had plateaued and Clarke was the next great hope.

I am sure we all made predictions in 2014 that turned out to be crap five years later.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
At the time it wasn't that controversial an opinion especially for Freo fans. Darling had plateaued and Clarke was the next great hope.

I am sure we all made predictions in 2014 that turned out to be crap five years later.
I just saw this thread pop up again, went back to read what I posted years ago, then read a few pages before that for shits and giggles.

If you don't get a giggle out of Freo fans thinking Clarke was, is, or will be better than Darling then I can't help you.

Except for saying you don't need to white knight or play devils advocate in every post you make!

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
In 2014 Jack was 22 and in his 4th season. For a key forward he was still very young ish and the flack that he got was undeserved.

He Booted 39 goals that year, 42 and 53 goals in the previous two years. Most clubs would take that from a young KPF (let alone their second primary target).

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Also after kicking 53 goals in his second year, the oppo were always gonna put more effort into him and try working him out.

Jake Stringer is a bit similar in a sense but had his own issues but he also dropped off a ton after his blistering start.

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember him as an underaged in TAC, had he been eligible would have gone high as an under ager...looked like he could be anything. Sadly has not lived up to junior form. People will point to the fact that he kicks a few goals....but gee he gets a disproportionate number of Joe the gooses and soft out the backs.

Likes it on his own terms but prefer others when things get spicy.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember him as an underaged in TAC, had he been eligible would have gone high as an under ager...looked like he could be anything. Sadly has not lived up to junior form. People will point to the fact that he kicks a few goals....but gee he gets a disproportionate number of Joe the gooses and soft out the backs.

He didn't even play TAC cup lol.

Also did you watch the GF. he was unsighted before half time and was huge in the last half.

bunderson

Senior List
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
When Jack is on he is a game breaker. So glad he is receiving the credit he deserves.

Even when he has an off day - how often do you ever see his opponent ever mark to ball or win a contest? Always halves a contest and brings the ball to ground as a minimum for the smalls and provides pressure.

absolute gun.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea

Have you ever watched a West Coast game? Serious question.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United

You are thinking of someone else?

digrar

Draftee
Nov 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
TAC cup or Teal cup? Wasn't TAC, he played for West Perth in the Colts and League teams before being drafted.

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
TAC cup or Teal cup? Wasn't TAC, he played for West Perth in the Colts and League teams before being drafted.

Yes TEAL Cup. He played a few games as an underaged which is rare, they usually rotate the under agers but he was a big mature kid.

Back