Recommitted Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough call between Swallow and Darling but I'm sorry to say that both will be Gold Coast almost no matter what. They're very different players so it's difficult to compare and both are the best of their kind in their age group by a mile. Swallow is the most complete mid I've seen in a very, very long time and Darling is one of, if not THE most exceptional talent I have ever seen. I think these two are a done deal and the Gold Coast would be mad to consider any trade. These two will be better than anything any club will offer IMO. For me its Swallow by a whisker on the basis of versatility and that only. Both will be absolutely elite.

JM - I agree with your comments regarding the likelihood of Darling (& Swallow) ending up at GC. However GC will be desperately seeking some experienced talent to add to the mix of young kids they are establishing. And by talent I mean quality, not the many cast offs that will be offered (Hale, Stenglein etc).

Given the likelihood that most clubs will hold their real stars it may just mean GC are willing to part with early picks for a parcel of extremely talented players in the 22-24 age group. That is why in my OP I suggested the Eagles combo of Mitch Brown and say a Nicoski or even a McKinley might just be enough to swing a deal. After all Darling could be anything, but he could also do a knee in his 1st season and never be the same again.
I would think that a combo such as I suggest above, would not be ignored by GC.

That is why in my OP I suggested the Eagles combo of Mitch Brown and say a Nicoski or even a McKinley might just be enough to swing a deal. After all Darling could be anything, but he could also do a knee in his 1st season and never be the same again.

That deal is very favourable to West Coast imo ... I'd say GC17 would want a higher quality young player of the likes of Naitanui, Swift, Hurn, LeCras or Kennedy to be involved in a deal.

From Freo, I don't think we have much to offer currently and the only player I definitely wouldn't include in a deal would be Hill.

That deal is very favourable to West Coast imo ... I'd say GC17 would want a higher quality young player of the likes of Naitanui, Swift, Hurn, LeCras or Kennedy to be involved in a deal.

From Freo, I don't think we have much to offer currently and the only player I definitely wouldn't include in a deal would be Hill.

What do you think of maybe 2 of Broughton/Palmer/Ibbotson.
Or seeing as you didn't rule him out, Sandilands?

What do you think of maybe 2 of Broughton/Palmer/Ibbotson.
Or seeing as you didn't rule him out, Sandilands?

I'd jump at that (... but don't think GC17 would ... I consider both Darling and Swallow are potential top liners and I don't consider any of those 3 potential top liners ... Palmer is the only chance but he will need to make significant improvement on his footskills).

The reason I didn't rule Sandilands out is he will be over 28 in season 2011 ... I don't know many more years he could lug around his 211cm / 125kg frame for ... he would probably be well past his best and close to / if not already retired when GC17 start challenging.

Does anyone beleive the AFL would allow GC to trade the number one pick? The stigma surrounding the first pick and GC having the best young player in the country is too great a marketing tool and will be pushed at every opportunity to create interest and grow the AFL in QLD. IMO the only way to get Darling would be to trade for pick two or three and pray he is still around.

I'm not convinced Gold Coast would ever give up either of the first two picks, especially with the hype surrounding Swallow and Darling. It would take a player who is currently as good as Swallow or Darling could ever possibly be to draw a trade. These players are the ones likely to be considered off limits by the clubs, a Riewoldt, Buddy type player who is a competition leader, as well as probably the other clubs first round draft pick.

I think that the future prospects of having Swallow and Darling far outweight ANY short term benefits that a better than average type player would offer. I understand the argument about experience but it would take something extraordinary to pry one of the first picks. And apart from that, I agree the AFL would take precautions to ensure at least pick one stays with GC.

Experience is something that's wanted but I would think that there would be a plan to be serious premiership contenders about 4 years in from the inception where their crop of high draft concessions are peaking, with the older type players filling a void in the early years of the club to make GC as competitive as possible. The way things are going I think Swallow and Darling will be a major part of their plan. They won't be trying to build a premiership side for 2011. It would take a ridiculous offer they won't be able to refuse. An offer other clubs wouldn't make unless they consider one of the kids going top 2 to be the ultimate future of their club.

I'm not convinced Gold Coast would ever give up either of the first two picks, especially with the hype surrounding Swallow and Darling. It would take a player who is currently as good as Swallow or Darling could ever possibly be to draw a trade. These players are the ones likely to be considered off limits by the clubs, a Riewoldt, Buddy type player who is a competition leader, as well as probably the other clubs first round draft pick.

I think that the future prospects of having Swallow and Darling far outweight ANY short term benefits that a better than average type player would offer. I understand the argument about experience but it would take something extraordinary to pry one of the first picks. And apart from that, I agree the AFL would take precautions to ensure at least pick one stays with GC.

Experience is something that's wanted but I would think that there would be a plan to be serious premiership contenders about 4 years in from the inception where their crop of high draft concessions are peaking, with the older type players filling a void in the early years of the club to make GC as competitive as possible. The way things are going I think Swallow and Darling will be a major part of their plan. They won't be trying to build a premiership side for 2011. It would take a ridiculous offer they won't be able to refuse. An offer other clubs wouldn't make unless they consider one of the kids going top 2 to be the ultimate future of their club.

Totally agree Johnny - the Gold Coast will look for a few mentor players but that is about it. They aren't going to be selling their first 3 or 4 picks, and I doubt they would sell more than 2 picks for players unless they are getting paid way way over what you would normally.

Darling, Matera and Swallow will be major franchise players for the Gold Coast - WA supporters will just need to get over that fact.

if im right darling is 190cm which isnt big enough to hold down centre half forward at afl level. Apparently he had finished most of his growing by the age of 15/16. People have been saying that he needs to learn how to play in the midfield or another position besides KPP to be able to be infulential at afl level.

Yeah Wayne Carey was a terrible centre half forward at 192cm..

Just too short.. pffffftt...

Jesus. WTF is in the water in WA????

You boys have that much talent coming through its scary:eek:

Good for the comp thou:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus. WTF is in the water in WA????

You boys have that much talent coming through its scary:eek:

Good for the comp thou:thumbsu:

More like we finally got our crap together. Development of kids was pretty poor, talent is spotted pretty early these days and our Colts system has been pretty effective at developing these kids. In the end if we produce a pretty good U18 squad then the chances are we will produce some fine players.

Still plenty of untapped talent, just going on what i remember playing U17's back in 2007.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Those were the only names I've read in this thread likely to prise pick #1 away from the GC. You'd have to add Ablett to that list and after that it's unlikely for anyone else.

I can't stop thinking about this after seeing this thread:

blackadder.jpg

I said earlier in the year Darling is the best young key foward i have ever seen.

He is only 191cm's though, so playing AFL against bigger bodies he may be brought back to the pack a bit.

I pray to god the kid grows another 3 cm's could be as good as Wayne Carey if he does exceptional talent, and a great kid to.

Swallow will be the best mid produced from WA in 10 years, simply is a complete a player,works foward offensively and just as hard defensively.

He's a great size beautiful kick and good mark.

He would be just ahead of Darling (because of his size issue)

They are the best two talents WA have produced in a while.

And that includes the Rich's and Naitanui's of this world.

TBH id rather naita than either - he is something else....unlimited potential dues to his physical gifts

swallow easily better than rich though....

love either @wc

I said earlier in the year Darling is the best young key foward i have ever seen.

He is only 191cm's though, so playing AFL against bigger bodies he may be brought back to the pack a bit.

I pray to god the kid grows another 3 cm's could be as good as Wayne Carey if he does exceptional talent, and a great kid to.

Swallow will be the best mid produced from WA in 10 years, simply is a complete a player,works foward offensively and just as hard defensively.

He's a great size beautiful kick and good mark.

He would be just ahead of Darling (because of his size issue)

They are the best two talents WA have produced in a while.

And that includes the Rich's and Naitanui's of this world.

I could've sworn many people around here used that exact line on D. Rich early last season, or the year before.

Just curious guys.

How does Darling compare to Scotty Gumbleton?

I haven't/didn't see either of them at under's level, and 3 years ago, scotty was the best thing to ever come out of WA. I remember seeing very similar statements about Scott before he got drafted. Comparisons to Carey, Amazing marking ability and all the physical characteristics to make him a champion...Who out of those two were better at under 18's level?!

Just curious guys.

How does Darling compare to Scotty Gumbleton?

I haven't/didn't see either of them at under's level, and 3 years ago, scotty was the best thing to ever come out of WA. I remember seeing very similar statements about Scott before he got drafted. Comparisons to Carey, Amazing marking ability and all the physical characteristics to make him a champion...Who out of those two were better at under 18's level?!

I really liked Gumby at WAFL level - he looked a star and was consistent, but you have to remember he was roughly one year older when he made an impact.

I think I would rather wait to see with what Darling backs up this years form with.

I really liked Gumby at WAFL level - he looked a star and was consistent, but you have to remember he was roughly one year older when he made an impact.

I think I would rather wait to see with what Darling backs up this years form with.
do you think darling, will have to totally dominate next years u 18s to go top 3 next year?.what happens if some other, kpf, steps up in the 2010 u18s & rips up at a
similar standard to what darling, achieved in 09. but is younger .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back