Recommitted Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont even know why we are comparing the 2 but i would agree with that poster that darling is better than hurley in every aspect of the game

it would be very unlikely that hurley turns out a better player than darling

just sayin

i dont even know why we are comparing the 2 but i would agree with that poster that darling is better than hurley in every aspect of the game

it would be very unlikely that hurley turns out a better player than darling

just sayin

ummmm...Hurley already is better ;)

I seem to rate AFL performance > 2nd rate state leagues, maybe its just me though :confused:

I can't believe you Essendon fans are getting defensive about somebody who hasn't even started playing AFL yet.

I can't believe you Essendon fans are getting defensive about somebody who hasn't even started playing AFL yet.

how could you be "defensive" about someone who hasn't started playing yet? I just laugh at all the sheep who truly believe that every top draft pick every year is going to be the best player who ever played - when they haven't even played a single game of AFL.

Good luck to Darling. He'll probably have a good career. But saying he's definitely going to be better than players who've, you know, actually played AFL & done well, is a nonsense. History is littered with highly rated juniors who didn't take the next step.

Potential is so over-rated on this site. Reality takes a back seat ;)

Watching the youtube clips of him he's a truly exceptional kick for goal and a very good mark.

I rate Hurley extremely highly, but given the choice between the two of them might have to go for Darling. He's going to be a dead set gun.

how could you be "defensive" about someone who hasn't started playing yet? I just laugh at all the sheep who truly believe that every top draft pick every year is going to be the best player who ever played - when they haven't even played a single game of AFL.

Good luck to Darling. He'll probably have a good career. But saying he's definitely going to be better than players who've, you know, actually played AFL & done well, is a nonsense. History is littered with highly rated juniors who didn't take the next step.

Potential is so over-rated on this site. Reality takes a back seat ;)

hurley may end up a better player, as i said in my first post. but darling easily accounts for him in terms of raw talent

Darling has the best kick for a tall forward I have ever seen at junior level, 60m + with accuracy, and he has an exceptional kick at goal, converts maybe 80%+ chances. His hands either in the contest or on the ground are elite, he could play as a mid IMO he is that good. Rarely does a player come along who has all the skills of an elite forward, and all of the skills of an elite mid. The only question marks for mine are his pace, but that is just picky, it is not elite but still very good (quicker than most, and Hurley, but not as quick as say a Fevola.

Darling has the best kick for a tall forward I have ever seen at junior level, 60m + with accuracy, and he has an exceptional kick at goal, converts maybe 80%+ chances. His hands either in the contest or on the ground are elite, he could play as a mid IMO he is that good. Rarely does a player come along who has all the skills of an elite forward, and all of the skills of an elite mid. The only question marks for mine are his pace, but that is just picky, it is not elite but still very good (quicker than most, and Hurley, but not as quick as say a Fevola.

Darling has a very good set shot for goal but to say that he's the best kick for a tall forward you've ever seen...how long have you been watching juniors for?

Not long admittedly, just since 2005, but IMO he is almost as good as Rich, high praise from a Lions supporter. Hurley is also right up their, especially as he is dual sided.

Darling has a very good set shot for goal but to say that he's the best kick for a tall forward you've ever seen...how long have you been watching juniors for?

Have you seen anything on Darling at all?

Demon_16 stop wasting everyone's time please with your fanboy comments, thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen anything on Darling at all?

Demon_16 stop wasting everyone's time please with your fanboy comments, thanks.

I have, although not much since I live in Victoria

My comment was directed at the "of all time" fanboyism..Lucas, Brown and Lloyd are three examples of amazing kicks throughout junior ranks

interesting the Darling Versus Swallow debate,

for some perspective,

At the 18's carnival, much of the all Australian under 18's was made of WA boys, so Darling would never have had to come up against the best. Still Matera was a more dynamic forward.

Swallow was injured, unfit (both according to his coach), played in a position he had never played in before, and at 188cm(he grew over the summer), he is only 2 cm shorter than darling, is much quicker, only 16 and he won the Larke medal....

I dont really see how this is a contest.....

Swallow>>Darling, Teams tend to emphasise the FF/CHF position, maybe thats why hes getting the love, Darling played well at WAFL level, so did Swallow,

but I would argue the WA 18's side could compete very well at WAFL level, and thus the players Darling was wiping up at WAFL level, may not have been full time players at all. I remember against east perth he kicked six( i think it was east perth), his direct oponent was a full times reserve player bought in as an emergency...

his six on reflection was him toying with an undersized very average reserves player.

It is with this knowlege and with Swallows athleticism, height skills and instincts that make me think he will be far more versatile and ready to make an impact.

Darling is one dimensional. Swallow is everywere.

You can compare the two from a position of roles they play. But surley Swallow has the most to offer across a wide range of differnt positions.

BTW Swallow can kick 60 with his left. He is a natural right footer.

Teams that need a FF/CHF position player, take Darling, teams that need anything else...swallow. interesting to see how matera and Darling will go together at AFL level. they didnt gell very well at 18's

DG3JVdyVoAADlck.jpg:large

Collingwood gain: Lever and pick 17
Adelaide gain: pick 7 and Sidebottom

West Coast gain: pick 17
Collingwood gain: Darling

Not sure I'm 100% happy with that outcome though.
This was the rumour this time last year. This looks to be from the bs source that has us taking Birchall. Jack has been playing the way we want since the bye and it makes no sense that simmo wants him out.

If jack does want out, I'd rather not deal with the pies.

Potentially a swap for Gov jr. At a team like Adelaide jack would see his best footy as he gets to play his natural third tall role and you have immediate replacement for Gov jr.

We do lose jack but gain a similar.

This was the rumour this time last year. This looks to be from the bs source that has us taking Birchall. Jack has been playing the way we want since the bye and it makes no sense that simmo wants him out.

If jack does want out, I'd rather not deal with the pies.

Potentially a swap for Gov jr. At a team like Adelaide jack would see his best footy as he gets to play his natural third tall role and you have immediate replacement for Gov jr.

We do lose jack but gain a similar.
I reckon we'd want more than just a straight swap. If Gov Jr is valued anywhere from 20-30, then Darling is likely 5-10. Adelaide's second rounder is probably around the high 30's, their third in the mid 50s. Unless there's a mid or ruckman involved, I don't know if Adelaide would be willing to trade.

Collingwood saying that their pick 6 is off the table is hilarious IMO. A 25 year old KPF who's still kicking 40+ goals a season with a rubbish midfield is worth that.

I reckon we'd want more than just a straight swap. If Gov Jr is valued anywhere from 20-30, then Darling is likely 5-10. Adelaide's second rounder is probably around the high 30's, their third in the mid 50s. Unless there's a mid or ruckman involved, I don't know if Adelaide would be willing to trade.

Collingwood saying that their pick 6 is off the table is hilarious IMO. A 25 year old KPF who's still kicking 40+ goals a season with a rubbish midfield is worth that.
Lol. We'll just bring Menzel into the side then thanks.

Good luck with that.

I actually think he would make a better CHB than a forward.

He will even be FA sooon... Good luck even thinking about pick 6.

Better than giving up pick 6 for darling lmao

Fine by me if we keep him.

Most teams struggle to have their main forward consistently kick 40 a season, let alone do it as the secondary forward like Darling does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back