Game Day Jack Dyer Medal - Congratulations Dion Prestia!

Remove this Banner Ad

dusty was a bit stiff with 6th place i reckon. think he gets judged a bit more harshly because of how high a bar he sets himself. like that game v sydney where he had 25 kicked 3, he got the 3 brownlow votes but didnt even get the max votes in the b&f. any other player does that and its an easy 5 votes.

Again you're missing the point.

The club votes on how players perform in their specific role, not how many possessions or goals they kicked or how many they stopped.

The BigFooty think tank invariably votes on who got the most touches, who kicked a bag, or who stood out as a defender. They rarely if ever take into consideration that a player may be asked to sacrifice part of their natural game to allow someone else to better impact the game in another role.

Then when people take the time to explain the role they dismiss it as it doesn't fit in with why the player they're critical of should be 'performing' better.

As an aside I get as frustrated as any other when Ellis doesn't put his head over the footy, but I accept that's not his game. His game is a gut running link up defensive coverage winger and he plays it as well as anyone. But again that gets ignored/overlooked by some for whatever reason.

I'm not missing the point at all.

The club has a different rating system for the B&F as we do on bigfooty for the MVP. Each individual game gets a rating between 0-5. EVERY SINGLE PLAYER CAN GET VOTES IN EVERY GAME IN THE B&F.

RFC WEBSITE said:
"Under the Jack Dyer Medal voting system, all of the team’s players on match day receive a rating from 0-5 based on their overall performance.

The match committee assesses each player’s offensive, defensive and contest impacts on the game.

After those game phases have been analysed, the 0-5 rating is given, as a joint match committee decision.

Votes are not allocated for what the match committee deems a below-average performance"

So if Brando did his role for the team so well every week he would score well EVERY GAME and feature highly in the B&F ESPECIALLY considering it was such an injury ravaged year and most players played <20 games, and he was one of very few to play 24.

But instead he finished in a position in which he was surrounded by rookies, injured players and others who were sent back to the VFL to learn new roles.

So in a year in which you and his other defenders said he was going so well, this 175 game veteran playing one of his best seasons finished around the same place as players that missed chunks of the year or have played 3 seasons or less, or both. And this is while he only missed one game. And every game you play gets you votes. It's not like bigfooty were people are picking the top 5 each week.

Maybe you should let the match committee know that you know something they don't, as they clearly didn't rate his season that highly either.

I'm not missing the point at all.

The club has a different rating system for the B&F as we do on bigfooty for the MVP. Each individual game gets a rating between 0-5. EVERY SINGLE PLAYER CAN GET VOTES IN EVERY GAME IN THE B&F.

So if Brando did his role for the team so well every week he would score well EVERY GAME and feature highly in the B&F ESPECIALLY considering it was such an injury ravaged year and most players played <20 games, and he was one of very few to play 24.

But instead he finished in a position in which he was surrounded by rookies, injured players and others who were sent back to the VFL to learn new roles.

So in a year in which you and his other defenders said he was going so well, this 175 game veteran playing one of his best seasons finished around the same place as players that missed chunks of the year or have played 3 seasons or less, or both. And this is while he only missed one game. And every game you play gets you votes. It's not like bigfooty were people are picking the top 5 each week.

Maybe you should let the match committee know that you know something they don't, as they clearly didn't rate his season that highly either.

Sigh.

The match committee rated his season as a top 12 in the B&F because he consistently played the role he was asked to play not because he racked up huge numbers of disposals or kicked bags of goals or did a great stopping job on an opposition forward. That is the same reason I defended him as much as I did early on in the season, because I understood what he was doing was important to the way we play as a team.

Like I said yesterday I was frustrated when he wouldn't put his head over the ball every time, but again I knew that was not his role in the side, he was there as coverage of our ball winning midfielders who were in there winning contested footy and getting the ball going our way. Then when we won the footy, Ellis was one of the players doing repeated 150-200m efforts up and down the wing to provide a link up between our defenders and midfielders like Dusty Lambert Edwards Prestia who were running ahead of the footy.

Now as mentioned despite his role being explained multiple times, it was constantly ignored or brushed aside as an excuse to cover him not putting his head over the footy. Lets see what happens in 2020 when someone like Naish or Turner or Ross are asked to play the same role as some have suggested that they can play the role better than Ellis did, because they will put their heads over the footy. Hate to break it to people but neither Naish or Turner are contested ball winners and neither will have the same tank that Ellis had, and Ross is much better suited to being in the centre square rather than outside it.

As for the match committee, I'd suggest that their opinion of Ellis is much closer to the opinion that I had of him than what the detractors had of him given he played 23 of 25 games in a premiership year when his detractors would have had him playing VFL for the majority of the season with their assessment of his game and value.

dusty was a bit stiff with 6th place i reckon. think he gets judged a bit more harshly because of how high a bar he sets himself. like that game v sydney where he had 25 kicked 3, he got the 3 brownlow votes but didnt even get the max votes in the b&f. any other player does that and its an easy 5 votes.

Yep spot on and while I do think Dion Prestia was a very deserving winner playing every game and having a great season, it is certainly interesting to match up the Brownlow, Coaches and Jack Dyer votes that Dustin Martin received. And no I was not procrastinating.......well not much really :D
Anyway throughout the season Dusty scored coaches votes eleven times and brownlow votes nine times with the only two games not sharing votes being round 1 v Carlton and round 23 v Brisbane. Against Carlton he received 1 coaches vote & 3 Jack Dyer votes and against Brisbane it was 4 coaches votes and 5 Jack Dyer votes. 3 Jack Dyer votes was the lowest rating Dusty received when he also scored either coaches or brownlow votes other than for the round 18 game against Port Adelaide. That game was 4 coaches votes, 3 brownlow votes and 1 Jack Dyer vote!

I would hate to have to allocate votes though as although I thought Dusty would be in the top 5 prior to the voting, the actual top 5 were all great and it does reflect the growing consistency and confidence of our playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back