Jack Dyer medal top 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan didn't get a single vote last night.....umps have NFI
His spot in the AA team went to ******* Saad. How many times do you see Saad run the length of the field from HB and kick a goal, or laser point passes into the f50 off the hb, or... He takes 3 bounces inside 10m and then kicks it directly to the opposition. That's his whole playbook.

His spot in the AA team went to ******* Saad. How many times do you see Saad run the length of the field from HB and kick a goal, or laser point passes into the f50 off the bf, or... He takes 3 bounces inside 10m and then kicks it directly the opposition. That's his whole playbook.
Saad had a fantastic year. Statistically they were nearly identical.

Get ya goggles off, he's a good kick. Had more kicks and at a higher DE% than Rioli while still having similar I50s and score involvements.
Have to say I'm surprised by that. Every time I watched him this year it was the same old Saad taking 4 bounces in his first 15m and launching it to no one. He must've really tightened up.

All depends how our vote system works.
Some of the current vote systems in place for b&f at afl clubs is ridiculous and makes it hard for people who miss a few games to win.

Should be old school. Three people voting per round, 5,4,3,2,1.

Some of the current vote systems in place for b&f at afl clubs is ridiculous and makes it hard for people who miss a few games to win.

Its changed many times.

The year Daniel Jackson won it was convoluted where each player was given votes accoding to their own "theoretical best" which seemed to imply a s**t player playing less s**t than normal would get more votes than a good player playing an average game.

I was under the impression they all get a ranking out of five in each match.
So a poor game gets you one or no votes; a decent game maybe two; a good game three; a top game four or five.

Further to my earlier post, this is from last year.

Under the Jack Dyer Medal voting system all the team’s players on match day receive a rating from 0-5 based on their overall performance.

The match committee assesses each player’s offensive, defensive and contest impacts on the game.

After those game phases have been analysed the 0-5 rating is given, as a joint match committee decision.

Votes are not allocated for what the match committee deems a below-average performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to my earlier post, this is from last year.

Under the Jack Dyer Medal voting system all the team’s players on match day receive a rating from 0-5 based on their overall performance.

The match committee assesses each player’s offensive, defensive and contest impacts on the game.

After those game phases have been analysed the 0-5 rating is given, as a joint match committee decision.

Votes are not allocated for what the match committee deems a below-average performance.

Yep. I don’t like this.
It’s the BEST player award. Not someone that consistently plays there role.

Should be best 5 players 5,4,3,2,1 from 3-5 different people giving votes every week.

Get ya goggles off, he's a good kick. Had more kicks and at a higher DE% than Rioli while still having similar I50s and score involvements.
so saad had more kicks but still only similiar i50 and score involvements to rioli? sounds like dan was pretty bloody efficient with what he did. (and dan only seemed to really click in the second half of the year imo).

fingers crossed for next year then.

so saad had more kicks but still only similiar i50 and score involvements to rioli? sounds like dan was pretty bloody efficient with what he did. (and dan only seemed to really click in the second half of the year imo).

fingers crossed for next year then.
I wasn't talking down Dan. Just pointing out the similarities.

Yep. I don’t like this.
It’s the BEST player award. Not someone that consistently plays there role.

Should be best 5 players 5,4,3,2,1 from 3-5 different people giving votes every week.
I hear what you're saying but a lot of the squad will be asked to perform a specific role. How well they do that role defines the success of the team. So them being BEST at that role on a given day would see them get a high vote.

Not everyone gets to be Dusty running wherever he likes because he has such an influence on games and that's how he's best used for the team. In essence everyone has a role, so who is the BEST player when you look at it that way ?

Yes, you can still imply who did their role best by a straight 54321 but that leaves 17 other players with no score at all from that game, and the possibility that even a best 22 player who had a half decent season would poll any votes at all. He just wasn't in the "best" 5 players.

I think it's a pretty good system. I can't think of any recent JDM winners who didn't have very good seasons so it seems to work.

Below is a reminder of last year's placings. Been a big year everyone sees footy different and values players contributions differently so will be curious to see who polls where.​

2021 Jack Dyer Medal top 20​

1st – Dylan Grimes, 51 votes
Eq. 2nd – Jack Graham, 46
Eq. 2nd – Liam Baker, 46
4th – Shai Bolton, 45
Eq. 5th – Jack Riewoldt, 40
Eq. 5th – Dustin Martin, 40
7th – Jayden Short, 39
8th – Tom Lynch, 38
9th – Kane Lambert, 35
Eq. 10th – Trent Cotchin, 33
Eq. 10th – Nathan Broad, 33