News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

You dont think its worth it?
Spending millions on a dilapidated old stand that actually has no practical use anymore but takes up a lot of space that we really need to take use of to keep ahead of other clubs, I get why people like it but you need to be realistic it’s about the long term strength of the club not taking a short term view because you’re sentimental about a old stand.
It needs to go unless RFC wants to relocate elsewhere and staying at Punt Road is far more important, before anybody brings it up, no keeping the stand and putting in a 5 storey building isn’t a option, would look ridiculous would never get funding and I have my doubts the Yarra council would approve a 5 storey building to be put there.

I remember it was, the club wanted it but the designers and bill payers said no. We just stated we will change it when we can. It definitely was set to play games there, as part of the ground upgrade, and VFL team coming on board.

I met the chief architect behind the PRO development a few years ago when it was being built. They didn't design the windows as you see them now. They had a more practical outlook on the design including larger windows and balconies.

This chap said that the building had to endure a heap of compromises - not the least of which were windows and viewing areas and that the biggest hurdle in that respect was the East Melbourne Residents Group. They objected strongly to too much lighting coming from the building and ruining the lovely aesthetics of Punt Road (go figure) and surrounds. Reflections and other crap was sighted by them as well.

We had plans for some larger scale advertising signs as well and similarly they got objected to by the EMRG. We've lost millions in potential advertising $ as a result.

Good exchange going on here. So much information, but I think I've got it.

1) We are moving to Monash University or Hong Kong;
2) The Jack Dyer Stand is coming with us (on a big trailer I think somebody said):
3) The building will be 6 storeys high;
4) It will include a jumping castle.

Geez, how good is it to be a Richmond supporter right now ! Killing it !
Still gonna be a sheet hole if there's no adequate parking...

Spending millions on a dilapidated old stand that actually has no practical use anymore but takes up a lot of space that we really need to take use of to keep ahead of other clubs, I get why people like it but you need to be realistic it’s about the long term strength of the club not taking a short term view because you’re sentimental about a old stand.
It needs to go unless RFC wants to relocate elsewhere and staying at Punt Road is far more important, before anybody brings it up, no keeping the stand and putting in a 5 storey building isn’t a option, would look ridiculous would never get funding and I have my doubts the Yarra council would approve a 5 storey building to be put there.

So if the stand was heritage listed and it couldn't come down, then what? We'd be moving? No, there would be plans for developing the other vacant spaces all around the ground, and it would get through well before anyone at the club is game enough to suggest we pull up stumps and move.

As for accommodation (not singling you out btw). Talk about mission creep. There is an entire suburb - full of housing - on the other side of the road. Crossing Punt Rd at the traffic lights shouldn't be too much to ask.

So if the stand was heritage listed and it couldn't come down, then what? We'd be moving? No, there would be plans for developing the other vacant spaces all around the ground, and it would get through well before anyone at the club is game enough to suggest we pull up stumps and move.

As for accommodation (not singling you out btw). Talk about mission creep. There is an entire suburb - full of housing - on the other side of the road. Crossing Punt Rd at the traffic lights shouldn't be too much to ask.

An entire suburb full of housing... are we going to do a forced acquisition? Or spend big on houses worth 800k+ a piece? Or rent out buildings going into disrepair that we can scrape into the budget? I’m sure that I’ll help us foster and support community and aspiring young athletes.

Maybe the Royal will have the kids for us. They can work the bar for some pocket money and give it to the fighting tiger fund or something.

Not getting the big fuss being made about accommodation being part of the plan as a negative. Until I see a plan with the Jd stand being replaced by a 25 story Mercure hotel I don’t see a problem. It’s a small facet of a larger redevelopment. Surely in 2018 after years of human experience we can realise the simple equation of benefit vs cost for these programs and how we plan to run them.

An entire suburb full of housing... are we going to do a forced acquisition? Or spend big on houses worth 800k+ a piece? Or rent out buildings going into disrepair that we can scrape into the budget? I’m sure that I’ll help us foster and support community and aspiring young athletes.

Maybe the Royal will have the kids for us. They can work the bar for some pocket money and give it to the fighting tiger fund or something.

Not getting the big fuss being made about accommodation being part of the plan as a negative. Until I see a plan with the Jd stand being replaced by a 25 story Mercure hotel I don’t see a problem. It’s a small facet of a larger redevelopment. Surely in 2018 after years of human experience we can realise the simple equation of benefit vs cost for these programs and how we plan to run them.

No need to be sarcastic mate, what's that add to the discussion?

No need to be sarcastic mate, what's that add to the discussion?

Sorry if it came across as harsh, but sarcasm is a common part of arguing and opposing ideas.

No individual harm intended, it was a statement to highlight the absurdity of a belief that the club can house people Willy nilly wherever they like in the proximity of PRO.

If the stand was heritage listed the plans would bf much smaller and not stand the test of time as in we would not have the room required before long and would likely see not a full relocation but I dare say a secondary site would eventually be required.
Recognition of the past is good, but we are running one of the biggest sports clubs in the land and need space to do so, which sadly the stand is taking up a prime real estate.

It does seem odd to have accommodation on site.
I can't recall any other football sporting headquarters which has accommodation.
Hoddle Street will be expanded over time so we are hemmed in to a certain extent.
Focus on elite football facilities.
Grand Final packages with supporter accommodation, waking up at the G on Grand Final morning, wow ....I can hear the money rolling in...

Grand Final packages with supporter accommodation, waking up at the G on Grand Final morning, wow ....I can hear the money rolling in...
I'm in...
tenor.gif

The space is limited as it is.
Providing accommodation on site has nothing to do with football skills and personal development.
That is the only reservation I have.
There's no comparable precedent in terms of NFL or EPL teams providing accommodation.
Also just on this. Pretty sure Tottenham recently opened their accommodation at their training facilities. Upon a bit more digging Manchester City have accommodation facilities at their training ground too. That's only looking at two teams.

As Caro writes, the administration has provided detailed blueprints to the political power-broking elites in Spring Street and Canberra, but not to the general public, fans and members.
Be transparent and honest if it is such a brilliant concept.
I would be disappointed if the inclusion of accommodation is an attempt to minimise or amortise tax.
The taxpayer pays.
As Roger D wrote, the sporting heritage of the Sydney Ladies' stand is a delight to see.

Last edited:
I remember it was, the club wanted it but the designers and bill payers said no. We just stated we will change it when we can. It definitely was set to play games there, as part of the ground upgrade, and VFL team coming on board.
If that building was designed in the knowledge that there was going to be football played on the oval, then those designers should have been sacked. I was a MRC member for a few years but other than the GF guarantee, found it useless because I had to choose whether I had a beer there or watch the VFL team because you certainly couldn't do both.
You can't honestly tell me that having windows suitable for viewing what's happening on the ground would have dramatically altered that buildings cost given everything else that went into it!?
It was probably more likely the designers didn't want their vision ruined. So often designers create things based on looks first and functionality comes in a distant second.

Edit: just saw Drofder's post above. That explains a lot. Thanks mate!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to someone today who's pretty well connected to the club and asked him about the original development and the future one. He said that he questioned the window situation at the time but couldn't remember the reason why they didn't put any but apparently as part of the grandstand upgrade, there will be windows installed all the way along the Swinburne Centre.

I really hope they keep some of the charm of the old Grandstand as part of any upgrade design. Might cost a bit more but we're loaded now so who cares! :)

Spoke to someone today who's pretty well connected to the club and asked him about the original development and the future one. He said that he questioned the window situation at the time but couldn't remember the reason why they didn't put any but apparently as part of the grandstand upgrade, there will be windows installed all the way along the Swinburne Centre.

I really hope they keep some of the charm of the old Grandstand as part of any upgrade design. Might cost a bit more but we're loaded now so who cares! :)

That'd be a factor in me jumping on the MRC waitlist...
Have been in as a guest a few times and would've signed up if you could watch the footy from in there when the VFL is on.

If the stand was heritage listed the plans would bf much smaller and not stand the test of time as in we would not have the room required before long and would likely see not a full relocation but I dare say a secondary site would eventually be required.
Recognition of the past is good, but we are running one of the biggest sports clubs in the land and need space to do so, which sadly the stand is taking up a prime real estate.

I understand your point of view, but i'm looking at the heritage of the stand from more than just an exercise in empire building. IMO the stand ranks with some of the city's heritage buildings...lets look at the Metro nightclub... an iconic live venue and former theatre that was gutted by developers before anyone knew what was happening and like wise the pub in Carlton- the Ploughman's. Both now gone...and not coming back!
But there is hope..lets look at the Espy...about to reopen after and extensive refit and re-purposing of much of its spaces and lets look at the Palais...now refurbished despite calls for both those sites to be re-developed. Re purposing and restoring can be done.
Have a look at the Maryborough Football Club stand... a beautiful old stand reminiscent of ours...now refurbished and treasured....and its a country club!!!- its not the big league, yet its been retained...... upload_2018-9-13_18-28-31.jpeg
I'm yet to be convinced that demolishing the stand will do anything to our on-field success. There's just no evidence that re-developing has any effect on on-field performance...just ask Geelong about their costly re-development.

The point about heritage listing is moot, it doesn't so it doesn't matter imo.

They can build alongside the stand in the same way they have retained the Ladies' Stand at the SCG.
The Tottenham project includes a 60,000 seat stadium and hosting EPL and NFL.
The project has taken a decade to build and costs have escalated from £400 million to £850 million (approximately $1.5 billion AUD).
Completely different.

Last edited:
My childhood is filled with amazing memories of seeing Richmond at the 'G.

But by god, nostalgia can be overrated. Would I want to go back to those wooden slat seats with splinters in your clacker and buttocks so sore afterwards you ached for a week? As much as I'd want to go back to the booze, ciggy smoke, cold pies and the racist, horrid abuse that was shouted.

I should add that I adore looking at the JD stand from the train. It is a beautiful reminder of our history and, for a training venue, was adequate. But if we are to keep ahead of the pack we have to upgrade. I hope some artefacts are retained and are incorporated into a new design. But as I said in a previous thread on this topic, what greater honour could we give Jack Dyer than to name a spankingly great, state-of-the-art stand after him?

IM OUTRAGED. LOSS OF HERITAGE!

BRING BACK ARCTIC PARK I SAYS (and pre climate change winters where your reproductive bits (all genders welcome her) froze to the seats

But I do like the look of the current stand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting debate with good points from all...i'm on the side of preserving at the moment...why not a $2 levy on our memberships to fund a reno of the Stand?!?
Because it will cost a lot more than $200k to make the renos of the stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back