News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

RFC have for a long time taken a leadership role with these types of issues & if the powers that be deem it appropriate to continue to do so, I'll back them in. If our club can have a positive influence on this issue by a forthright and clear message about social issues I'm all for it...that's just my 2c worth....

Also it's not just racism, it's social inequality, AFL also helps to show minority groups in society that they are capable of affecting change in their own lives etc
Exactly right. This is not a 'lefty' thing. It is standing up for whats right. Im sure no one has complaints about Houli helping his minority group?

Lol. Taking over tigerland? never. Society changing? yes. Should richmond play a role in raising issues about social inequality and supporting whats right? Yes.
No.
We are a "Football" club.
Stick to kicking a ball and winning a premiership, leave the politics to political organisations

No.
We are a "Football" club.
Stick to kicking a ball and winning a premiership, leave the politics to political organisations

It'd be nice if it were possible to have footy as just footy, but I'm not sure it's possible?....

View attachment 1016663View attachment 1016664
View attachment 1016665
Going by the above two real images and then the third image of the artist’s impression, I’d say no.

In the first image (ME Bank Centre), the triangle window shapes are seen on all panels.

In the second image (Swinburne Centre and current) you can see that the panel on the right has larger windows, whereby they’ve carved out the panelling to put in more windows, but have preserved the original triangle window spots.

Finally, the artist’s impression depicts the windows just as they are currently.

More windows are needed, and they’ll have to do it, surely.

Although, weren’t the silly window shapes done to comply with the design restrictions so as to avoid reflections the glass windows would create for those driving on Punt Rd?
Are there two Bakers ???

EDIT: spelling

Muslims are a minority group?
In the context of afl I would say so

We have at least 600,000 Muslims in Australia going by the latest census data yet only two currently on AFL lists

Shows there is definitely room to grow the sport in that community that would traditionally be more involved in other sports

Lol Spiritual grandstand , it’s a dilapidated relic
Would love to know how many people who are so passionate about the stand all of a sudden have actually sat in it recently

It's "football" not political BS.
Political BS would be something like naming the stand the Kevin Rudd stand in honour of Kevin Rudd's service to the Labor Party.

How can you say this is less relevant to football than all the other s**t that the club and league are involved in?
Marvel superhero round? That's the lifeblood of AFL. The Killers performing at half time? What has music got to do with sport? Four n Twenty Pies? Yes the sport would never work without the pastry and the meat between.

I hope the crusade to remove all "Non-sport BS" involves all of these things and all the multitude of other things that aren't specifically related to the fondling of red leather balls. It only becomes political when it's an opposing cultural/social belief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have. I might not want it gone, but it needs to go.
No one is disputing it needs to go from punt road, the fact its being demolished is the issue.

It was built 6 years before our very first premiership and 126 years before our last, and for some reason the current "custodians" of the club, that's al they are, custodians, in the name of progress want to demolish it.

Relocation is not a major issue apart from adding to the timeframe, either is funding.

We should put the JD Statue (and we need more of key figures) right along the path.

The players may appreciate walking past it into the club but you have to turn your head heaps to see it walking into the G from Rich Station

If its cooked it would have a demolition notice already on it.
I think it but has- the outside is ok to sit on but I Gale already said the inside is condemned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back