Traded Jack Frost [traded to Brisbane with pick 76 and 2017 3rd rd pk for 2017 3rd and 4th rd picks]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t we all. Fortunately club recruiters aren’t stupid enough to release said ratings before draft time.

Of course they dont which means what you posted above is believable to only those that want to believe.

Of course they dont which means what you posted above is believable to only those that want to believe.
About Hine wanting Murphy at 6? You said yourself that we were the only interested club. Players have to be nominated by a club as a potential top 10 pick to receive an invite to draft night, usually clubs will nominate a couple of players in case their first preference isn’t available, hence why there were 20 kids there. Murphy was one of those nominated.

By your logic, if we were the only interested club, then the only available conclusion is that our recruiters did in fact rate Murphy in the top 10, and that he very likely would have been taken at 6 if Stephenson was unavailable.

To be fair, they still took Sidebottom before him so while they definitely did better than the rest of the clubs it still wasn't perfect.

Word is Hine wanted Beams but the other guys pulled him into line, lucky that Beams was still there at pick 29. Beams is a better player than Sidey and that's what matter most. Although you'd take Sidey's last few years and the early part of his career Sidey is more durable and will have a longer career, and the last bit is just my opinion.

I think Collingwood supporters have a right to be bullish about Murphy, Hine has done very well with these bolters, a troll alias possibly Adam H said more often they get it wrong. I'd say in the first round that's just wrong. Pendles, Beams, Degoey, off the top of my head all bolters.

Word also is the Dogs would have selected Murphy at 16 had Richards not been available. Long way to go, but Collingwood supporters based on all that have every right to be bullish.

And the Jack Frost trade, affectively because we got someone we considered to be worthy of pick 6, but got him for the pick that was swapped for your third, who probably wouldn't have been available at what was supposed to be our third, well it kind of spells a first rounder for Frost as far as our club goes. But who knows what clubs like Hawthorn in the interim would have done. Colingwood supporters have a right to be a little tickled pink about that.

To be fair, they still took Sidebottom before him so while they definitely did better than the rest of the clubs it still wasn't perfect.
The point of that post wasn’t to say we are some sort of super club that plucks guns from everywhere it was to say that just because other clubs didn’t rate the player doesn’t mean the one club that did is wrong. I’m sure there are examples of other clubs picking out with players they rated a lot higher than where they selected them. I used the Beams example because it was he first one that I rememebered. This years draft was apparently very even so it’s not that surprising that other clubs had very different rankings to us.

About Hine wanting Murphy at 6? You said yourself that we were the only interested club. Players have to be nominated by a club as a potential top 10 pick to receive an invite to draft night, usually clubs will nominate a couple of players in case their first preference isn’t available, hence why there were 20 kids there. Murphy was one of those nominated.

By your logic, if we were the only interested club, then the only available conclusion is that our recruiters did in fact rate Murphy in the top 10, and that he very likely would have been taken at 6 if Stephenson was unavailable.

Kids can choose to go up to the draft on there own accord they also can be invited due to the fact a club has said that if available they are 100% going to take them. Murphy more than likely had that guarantee but I doubt that if Stephenson was gone Collingwood would have overlooked Cerra for Murphy.

Word is Hine wanted Beams but the other guys pulled him into line, lucky that Beams was still there at pick 29. Beams is a better player than Sidey and that's what matter most. Although you'd take Sidey's last few years and the early part of his career Sidey is more durable and will have a longer career, and the last bit is just my opinion.

I think Collingwood supporters have a right to be bullish about Murphy, Hine has done very well with these bolters, a troll alias possibly Adam H said more often they get it wrong. I'd say in the first round that's just wrong. Pendles, Beams, Degoey, off the top of my head all bolters.

Word also is the Dogs would have selected Murphy at 16 had Richards not been available. Long way to go, but Collingwood supporters based on all that have every right to be bullish.

And the Jack Frost trade, affectively because we got someone we considered to be worthy of pick 6, but got him for the pick that was swapped for your third, who probably wouldn't have been available at what was supposed to be our third, well it kind of spells a first rounder for Frost as far as our club goes. But who knows what clubs like Hawthorn in the interim would have done. Colingwood supporters have a right to be a little tickled pink about that.

You moved 6 places and clubs ignored Murphy 35 times. I'm not potting Collingwood taking Murphy Im simply saying its very brash to take a jab at Brissy when he most likely would have been there at your original pick. Similar to me thanking Geelong for giving us Goddard who we rated top 5 but he slipped to 21 it simply is all bulltish.

Kids can choose to go up to the draft on there own accord they also can be invited due to the fact a club has said that if available they are 100% going to take them. Murphy more than likely had that guarantee but I doubt that if Stephenson was gone Collingwood would have overlooked Cerra for Murphy.
You’re clutching at straws Adam. Give it up, you’re just being asinine now.

The point of that post wasn’t to say we are some sort of super club that plucks guns from everywhere it was to say that just because other clubs didn’t rate the player doesn’t mean the one club that did is wrong. I’m sure there are examples of other clubs picking out with players they rated a lot higher than where they selected them. I used the Beams example because it was he first one that I rememebered. This years draft was apparently very even so it’s not that surprising that other clubs had very different rankings to us.

No doubt - Brisbane actually published their top 10 to a draft night that some of the members of our board went to, and Bailey and Starcevich were #9 and #10 on it. I don't know that anyone else would have had those rankings.

We rated Cerra higher. Drafting Murphy at 6 was in the scenario of if the medicos didn't give us the all clear regarding Stephenson's heart issue.

If Collingwood was going to take a player at pick six that every other club (bar Essendon) overlooked at least twice, that doesn't automatically make Murphy a steal at 39. It makes Derek Hine incredibly stupid.

Not saying that this is what actually happened, mind you.

I still remember Barry Prendergast rocking up at Melbourne's exclusive 09 draft party and claiming that they rated Gysberts as the third best midfielder in the draft behind Scully and Trengove. What a steal that was too.

If Collingwood was going to take a player at pick six that every other club (bar Essendon) overlooked at least twice, that doesn't automatically make Murphy a steal at 39. It makes Derek Hine incredibly stupid.

I still remember Barry Prendergast rocking up at Melbourne's exclusive 09 draft party and claiming that they rated Gysberts as the third best midfielder in the draft behind Scully and Trengove. What a steal that was too.
How can you say it’s stupid the guy might end up the 6th best player in the draft, you have no clue if he will or won’t be

Trolling? I'm on the trades board aren't I? I think it's quite interesting how this pans out from here. For a miserly six list spots it could have quite an impact looking forward for a trade no-one gave much of a thought about.
I don't think you know what a list spot is...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would Hine know that every other club would over look him twice when using pick 6 (bar Essendon). If he is good player then he will be a steal at 39. There are good late picks every draft that every club has overlooked multiple times. Dean Coxs, James Hird, Sam Mitchell, Dane Swan, Tom Rockcliff and JJ just to name a few.

How would Hine know that every other club would over look him twice when using pick 6 (bar Essendon). If he is good player then he will be a steal at 39. There are good late picks every draft that every club has overlooked multiple times. Dean Coxs, James Hird, Sam Mitchell, Dane Swan, Tom Rockcliff and JJ just to name a few.

There's hundreds that don't.

Collingwood was going to take Beams at 11 before Sidebottom became available. Would they have been stupid to have taken him early under different circumstances? He is arguably the best player from the 08 draft and he was overlooked once or twice by most clubs before we drafted him.

Recruiters need to back their own rankings. If Murphy was the highest rated player on our board and we overlooked him because he ‘might’ be there at 39, then I’d say our recruiters were incredibly stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back