Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to P&W 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Another McOrist too perhaps, although his only good game, when he kicked 6 goals, was his first. Then he foolishly informed the footy world of the secret of his success, and was never again able to successfully execute his 'unchecked-man-constantly-on-the-move' game.

But seriously, I think Ginnivan will prove you wrong.
The Ian McOrist "debut" story comes up every now and then, but his 6-goal game was game no. 2! He came on off the bench in the last quarter in his official debut, recording just the one kick:
1653439226177.png

The 6-goal game was his first full game.

Last edited:

SchuPie

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Canucks
Personally, thought it was a 5 week penalty, guilty plea or no.
If you want to send a message about violence and fair-play, this was the chance.
Wasn't accidental - A deliberate, forceful act that could have caused serious damage. Terrible look for the game.

Last edited:

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unpopular opinion, but I don't see him becoming a gun forward pocket, and probably not even a long term best 22 lock. I hope he proves me wrong, but we've seen a number of times small forwards have a couple of good games, but in reality struggle to be regular performers.

Saw someone else quote this and thought it was made after the weekend.

Do you still have the same thoughts after another couple of games with multiple goals

Agree it is a tough position. Betts , Milne are the two best in recent memory to perform pretty consistently.

Probably more important question , what are you looking for in a best 22 small forward if Jack isnt it

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League

Do you still have the same thoughts after another couple of games with multiple goals

Agree it is a tough position. Betts , Milne are the two best in recent memory to perform pretty consistently.

Probably more important question , what are you looking for in a best 22 small forward if Jack isnt it

Yeah I think he’s already shown more than enough forward craft to know he’s not a one hit wonder. He’ll undoubtedly be around for years to come unless he is badly injured. I don’t think many experts would be thinking he is not going to have a very high chance of making it.

Maggie Greg

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Ian McOrist "debut" story comes up every now and then, but his 6-goal game was game no. 2! He came on off the bench in the last quarter in his official debut, recording just the one kick:
View attachment 1408346
The 6-goal game was his first full game.
The same thing happens about Ricky Barham and his first game which was v Hawthorn in 1977 where he kicked 5 but v Carlton a few weeks earlier when we won by 102 points and he came off the bench.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've no problem with defensive work but NOT when it stops him from presenting, especially close to goal.

For every defensive forward movement you have one less attacking option if a turnover is won.

This is a hobby horse of mine - games are WON far more often than they are SAVED.

Kicking goals wins games so any option that leads him too far away from goal scoring range is an option that weakens our attacking options.

So by all means contest the ball and any opposition player trying to break free from the goal front.

BUT.

Don't be dragged up the ground - this is what the midfielders role is.

Seriously? Contributing defensively though an occasional chase is so detrimental to his goal kicking he shouldn’t bother?

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

Stacks up pretty well against both Betts and Milne when compared at the same age.

Personally, thought it was a 5 week penalty, guilty plea or no.
If you want to send a message about violence and fair-play, this was the chance.
Wasn't accidental - A deliberate, forceful act that could have caused serious damage. Terrible look for the game.
Twice, they could have sent that message, with deliberate non football acts, designed to hurt or injure, against the same player in the space of a couple of weeks.

It’s baffling that the AFL lets this stuff go with minor punishments and then wonder why the MRO and tribunal aren’t respected by the wider football community.

Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Twice, they could have sent that message, with deliberate non football acts, designed to hurt or injure, against the same player in the space of a couple of weeks.

It’s baffling that the AFL lets this stuff go with minor punishments and then wonder why the MRO and tribunal aren’t respected by the wider football community.
In either case if Jack had been injured/concussed etc the penalty would have been double you would think.
I'm with you Apex, a non footy 'dog' act should by definition attract a thug tax.

Last edited:

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
The same thing happens about Ricky Barham and his first game which was v Hawthorn in 1977 where he kicked 5 but v Carlton a few weeks earlier when we won by 102 points and he came off the bench.
I was there at the Carlton game and remember Ricky coming on. I named my son after Ricky Barham and Ricky Watt. :) Two classy wingers.

JuniorB

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2021
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Leeds United
I was there at the Carlton game and remember Ricky coming on. I named my son after Ricky Barham and Ricky Watt. :) Two classy wingers.
My son wasn't named after any player, but we have 2 at the Pies!

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Just saw his Fremantle goal. I reckon he could be part of your leadership team or captain.

Emotion, Vulnerability, and a passion. Majority of footballer treat it like 9-5 but Ginnivan stands out.

He reminds me of Toby Greene without being a dick. He needs a better PR team and shift the narrative of riling people up to just showing raw emotion and happy to be there.

I guarantee if you ask Jack is he purposely being a dick and riling people up he would say no. He is just happy to be there. So why do you guys (Pendlebury) accept the narrative I don't understand
I agree. It annoys me when Fly has a dig and says maybe he should kick the goal first before he celebrates. He doesn't understand how much the Collingwood crowd have been waiting for another young gun to excite and inflame their passion. Why throw a wet blanket over him? Undoubtedly he will stuff up and miss a sitter or get distracted and make a mistake but that's part of the package. Stop trying to crush the personality in players. It is great for the game. If he gets an early one against the Blues it will set both sets of supporters alight and helps create genuine feeling in the game-something many games lack.

In either case if Jack had been injured/concussed etc the penalty would have been double you would think.
I'm with you Apex, a non footy 'dog' act should be definition attract a thug tax.
It did cop a thug tax. It went to the tribunal because it was a thug act. Under the MRO it would have just been a fine at most. I don't understand why they are reducing sentences due to pleading guilty. The sentence didn't match the language the tribunal used to describe the incident. Them carrying on about the seriousness and then only giving two weeks is really silly.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
It did cop a thug tax. It went to the tribunal because it was a thug act. Under the MRO it would have just been a fine at most. I don't understand why they are reducing sentences due to pleading guilty. The sentence didn't match the language the tribunal used to describe the incident. Them carrying on about the seriousness and then only giving two weeks is really silly.
Agreed but 'silly' is a very generous description.

stui magpie

Deity in training, practicing omnipotence
Oct 3, 2005
My place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tocumwal
Amazing how much attention Ginni’s getting, and the love/hate from opposition fans. The kid just puts a smile on your face. I now look for him in the warm-up, and when he runs out - where is Ginni? And feel better when I see him.

I doubt Hine knew the full extent of what he drafted with this kid.

And he is not one dimensional. He has a high level of footy intelligence - whatever that is - and is getting better and more involved with each game.
Spot on. At 185cm he's not reliant on one skill, he's a genuine (short) full forward. His overhead marking is adequate, his body work is sublime, he can rove front and centre, take marks on the lead win frees in the packs etc. He has multiple ways of getting the ball, has serious skills to evade tackles when he does have it and is a deadly set shot from anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back