Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to P&W 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elliott does most if not all things better than Ginnivan?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Ginnivan on game day has done everything expected of him.
And more..
Elliott won't be dropped unless he stinks it up the next couple of games.
Good problem to have.
JC, Ginni, Ash ready to go.

On form Elliot would be the one to make way and I can't see that happening. Jack looks like he might have to come back through the VFL
Ginni and Jamie are different players. Doubt it would be Elliott to make way once Jack is fit. Certainly won't be Bobby Hill. I think natural attrition will solve the problem as injuries unfortunately have their inevitable impact. It's a problem for another week anyway and hopefully Jack shows some VFL form.

Based upon Round 1 I would say WHE. He played HF and HB and I have a soft spot for WHE's marking at HF. He made several critical turnover errors in the 1st half. I think we could cover WHE's turns at HB and I suspect and hope they will persevere with a fit Reef McGuiness. It won tg be Mcreery unless his form really drops off as his lockdown pressure is fabulous. Once Jack is available and firing, hopefully the selectors find him a spot kicking his sneaky goals. He and Bobby Hill firing will be a thing of joy!

I saw about two minutes of the Crows the other day and was shocked to see Rankine's goal numbers

Rankine 59.54 (113 scores) from 49 games (Average 1.20 goals per game @ 52% accuracy)
Jack has 46.22 (88 scores - 68?) from 28 games (Average 1.64 goals per game @ 68% accuracy)

Different players I know however, Jack has done well.

Rankine also into his 5th year in the system. Ginni yet to start his 3rd due to suspension. I reckon Ginni will have well exceeded Rankines totals with another couple of years under his belt.

Made the comment after the hawks game that gini wasn’t best 22.
Everyone went me.

Got smashed on the basis he “kicked 40”…..
Group think?!?!

Yet here we are.
The same crew are now saying he needs to bide his time!
So where are you all defending him!!?

“He’s a lock….but will need to spend time in the twos”……lol

Well at least you all get it that defence and speed is far more important than whether you actually kick the goals…

Especially in our game style.

Lloyds assessment is woeful and the thought that he has some line into what the coaches are thinking re comparing Bobby and Ginny is laughable.

Ginny is a lock based on last seasons form if he had been available round 1, doesnt guarantee he will come straight back in as he doesnt have the body of work yet to justify that.

What is exciting about Ginny is the start to his career. Its still a small data number but enough to suggest it may be taking form. if he franks it and is truly a player who runs around the 1.5 goals per game we have struck gold. I am pretty confident we have. Breust is the elite small forward who is most Ginny like, super smart, not a regular goal of the year contender but outscores those types anyway.

Bobby was great on Frisday but we need a good bit more evidence before we know he has passed Ginny. Still lets dream Ginny and Bobby are Luke and Eddie like come 10 years. Thats not reality probably. Shai is Bobbys aim more likely and if he can be 80% of that what a player he would be.

Lloyds assessment is woeful and the thought that he has some line into what the coaches are thinking re comparing Bobby and Ginny is laughable.

Ginny is a lock based on last seasons form if he had been available round 1, doesnt guarantee he will come straight back in as he doesnt have the body of work yet to justify that.

What is exciting about Ginny is the start to his career. Its still a small data number but enough to suggest it may be taking form. if he franks it and is truly a player who runs around the 1.5 goals per game we have struck gold. I am pretty confident we have. Breust is the elite small forward who is most Ginny like, super smart, not a regular goal of the year contender but outscores those types anyway.

Bobby was great on Frisday but we need a good bit more evidence before we know he has passed Ginny. Still lets dream Ginny and Bobby are Luke and Eddie like come 10 years. Thats not reality probably. Shai is Bobbys aim more likely and if he can be 80% of that what a player he would be.
I think Hill will evolve to move up the ground. When recuited, it was mentioned something like this. Has the running capacity. Maybe even wing. Just seems be more than a small forward. But with Ginni, just too talented and smart to leave out eventually. Just a matter of when is the right time, not if. The plan would have been to play them all. Suppose we'll see soon enough how they manage this.

Ginni is def Luke Bruest like -- His father mentioned pre-draft as its how he feels Ginni plays like/models his game off.

He isn’t playing AFL round 3 (without injury).

I don’t really understand why everyone keeps thinking he will.?!?

The only way he plays is through injury.
He just doesn’t have the absolute tools we want to be a first class Citizen.

I think Hill will evolve to move up the ground. When recuited, it was mentioned something like this. Has the running capacity. Maybe even wing. Just seems be more than a small forward. But with Ginni, just too talented and smart to leave out eventually. Just a matter of when is the right time, not if. The plan would have been to play them all. Suppose we'll see soon enough how they manage this.

Ginni is def Luke Bruest like -- His father mentioned pre-draft as its how he feels Ginni plays like/models his game off.
Gini was a rookie for a reason….he was also selected by our previous regime.

If you’re honest you’ll understand that he doesn’t fit our current style without change.

He had absolutely no competition last year. He does this year.
That competition fits our gameplay more.
Is what it is. He needs more tools to make our team.
Tools I haven’t seen him display to date.

Gini was a rookie for a reason….he was also selected by our previous regime.

If you’re honest you’ll understand that he doesn’t fit our current style without change.

He had absolutely no competition last year. He does this year.
That competition fits our gameplay more.
Is what it is. He needs more tools to make our team.
Tools I haven’t seen him display to date.
Good problems to have. Selection heachaches isn't something we usually would have. Power to our fitness staff.
As for other tools, maybe thats why they have had him at centre bounces, to add a bit of mid to his forward craft. Maybe thats what they see him in the future, a rotation between the two lines. They do like players who can play multiple positons. He does need to keep evolving, but he's young so plenty of development left.

I think I agreed this is likely. He hasnt been locked into the team long enough to know that last season isnt an outlier. But if it isnt, and I am confident it wont be, he will be locked into our 22 for many seasons. Time will tell. I reckon he is a beauty

Last edited:
I think I agreed this is likely. He hasnt been locked into the team long enough to know that last season isnt an outlier. But if it isnt, and I am confident it wont be, he will be locked into our 22 for mant=y seasons. Time will tell. I reckon he is a beauty
Might be better to ease him into it anyway, big game, and you just know the richmond fans would give it to him. Maybe not to put that pressure on him.
But if they did feel he was ready, then I could see... Hill moving into WHE position, who has played wing/forward at GWS and Ginni taking that vacant spot up forward. He's ahead of reef, who could continue to be the sub. Or even vice versa if they wanted to give Ginni a little game time.
There's a few options they could take if they wanted to bring him in right away -- We'll see next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good problems to have. Selection heachaches isn't something we usually would have. Power to our fitness staff.
As for other tools, maybe thats why they have had him at centre bounces, to add a bit of mid to his forward craft. Maybe thats what they see him in the future, a rotation between the two lines. They do like players who can play multiple positons. He does need to keep evolving, but he's young so plenty of development left.
Hit the nail on the head Jen - fitness staff - it's not so much that we are overflowing with talent but more that we have so much of our list fit enough for long enough to be near their peak form wise and available at the same time.

A player with Ginni’s footy smarts, and natural football talent, would fit any game plan. The footy we played in round 1 was a continuation - maybe even an improvement- of what we played in 2022, and Ginni was key to that.

Selfishly, I want him straight back in to play the Tigers. And he’ll be jumping out of his skin to do so.

But if the coaches want him to play a game in the VFL then I bow to their superior knowledge. But I won’t be happy about it.☹️

If we keep winning and no one puts in a stinker I think you‘re right. He comes back in on a needs basis at this point or knocks the door down so hard they can’t so no. He will need to bide his time, earn back some trust as you said all barring being and injury replacement.

he is good enough to be in the starting side but sometimes situational issues create opportunity for others. He did something a little dumb, not unexpected from a kid his age but dumb nonetheless. Let’s see what he’s made of.

Guinea Pig has the talent to be a staple in our forward line, no question. I think Breust is an excellent comparison. I also tend to think of Ginnivan as a more forward-suited Blake Caracella. However he dropped the ball in the off-season, and I think it can only be a good thing that there is no obvious path for him to regain his spot. What you want if you’re to be a quality team, is to have pressure for selection at every position. As I said Ginnivan has the talent, but his deficit in professionalism has caused him to have to bide his time and fight his way back in.

He is too good not to bring back it maybe not for a week or 2 but remember even in his 1st few games in the VFL it was obvious that he was too good for that level and in his 28 games he has confirmed that. Some do not like like him that,s up to them but at 1.70 gls a game at 70% accuracy it is hard to deny that he is not AFL standard.

I think if they just make certain of him off the pitch they have a 200 gm player here injuries aside and he will kick many goals it is just up to coaches and leaders to keep him focused, he is a natural player and the 1 and only reason he was a rookie was injury.

By the way I love him as a player maybe not all of his antics off field but as a player it is proving hard not to like him and I see him in our best 18 every week,just have too keep check of him off field until he matures.

On form Elliot would be the one to make way and I can't see that happening. Jack looks like he might have to come back through the VFL
Time to give yourself an uppercut (maybe a few).

One game doesn't make poor form for a guy with such a great record.

If I was an opposing coach, I'd love Elliott to be dropped. Even on a bad day, he'll give the other side match up headaches.

Ginni on the other hand, the tactic is to try to knock his head off.

If I was an opposing coach, I'd love Elliott to be dropped. Even on a bad day, he'll give the other side match up headaches.

Well the AFL simply declared open season on him last year.

I'd love to get Danger and Gil into a nice dark alley somewhere . . . .

It wasn’t even a bad game.

Elliott had a good game apart from missing some shots on goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back