News Jack Grimes

I say it to you every week, he isn't a captain or a particularly good player.
It is a regular point of contention between us :p

I just don't think he's undeserving of the captaincy for a few bad incidents a game. Might not be in our best players but he does lead from defence every week with his contested marking and his spoiling efforts. A lot of his mistakes come from being put under pressure by his teammates too. That OOF was hardly the thing that cost us today, there's no guarantee that we would have kicked a goal if he'd hit the past.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Honestly, who gives a cluck who the captain is? I don't think that's the root of our problems.

Or is it??

Grimes's disposal execution and decision making with the ball are poor. They have always been, and there's been limited to no improvement. Unfortunately, it hurts us the most in these close games where one f**k up can be the difference between a win or a loss.

I really don't know what we do with him. Stripping him the captaincy will achieve what? Makes it easier to drop him back to the reserves I guess.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Neville is playing well now, and was absolutely awful at the start of the year.

Still better than Grimes.

I would trade Grimes for Pittard.

For Troy Chaplin.

For the biggest spud on Brisbane's list excluding Leppistich.

For Issac Weetra.
I would trade him for Cam Wood or TJ.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
TBH, Grimes played ok today. And I feel he's played ok all year. It's the howler of mistakes that stand out. He has only been beaten on the day by his opponent maybe twice this year? His opponent today in Matt White(a dangerous and in form player) got subbed off. He'll do a few fantastic spoils a game. Get into good positions to receive the ball(and get enough of it as a back flanker). But his disposal let's him down time and time again.

Honestly, I feel he's a midfielder but his body simply won't allow him to play there. I do feel he's a great leader off the field and a good one on it. I'd persist with him and Jones as captains. I don't see any reason to take the captaincy from him because he clunks a few kicks a game. I feel if we can snag a Malceski off season, then that might free Grimes up to play on a wing or a forward flank(take Bail or M Jones spot), where his sometimes poor disposal won't hurt us as much. Today's effort at the end was simply not good enough by any player, let alone a captain when the game is there to be won. But overall, I feel he shut his opponent down today(got a dangerous player subbed off) and made some crucial spoils. I think ALL players today could list a few efforts or disposals that should have been much much better.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
TBH, Grimes played ok today. And I feel he's played ok all year. It's the howler of mistakes that stand out. He has only been beaten on the day by his opponent maybe twice this year? His opponent today in Matt White(a dangerous and in form player) got subbed off. He'll do a few fantastic spoils a game. Get into good positions to receive the ball(and get enough of it as a back flanker). But his disposal let's him down time and time again.

Honestly, I feel he's a midfielder but his body simply won't allow him to play there. I do feel he's a great leader off the field and a good one on it. I'd persist with him and Jones as captains. I don't see any reason to take the captaincy from him because he clunks a few kicks a game. I feel if we can snag a Malceski off season, then that might free Grimes up to play on a wing or a forward flank(take Bail or M Jones spot), where his sometimes poor disposal won't hurt us as much. Today's effort at the end was simply not good enough by any player, let alone a captain when the game is there to be won. But overall, I feel he shut his opponent down today(got a dangerous player subbed off) and made some crucial spoils. I think ALL players today could list a few efforts or disposals that should have been much much better.

I was just about to post something along the same lines. That late error was such a shocker and hurts the team so much. But his defensive efforts throughout the game were very solid. Today's game personified his year as a whole - tried his guts out, put his body on the line, did a disciplined job but made some blues which really bit us on the bum.

Also, still not sure of his best position now, or long-term.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
All this stuff about Grimes perhaps being a good leader off the field - as it stands, Melbourne has been poor during his captaincy. Sure it isn't 100% attributable to him, but how much worse could the team be WITHOUT him as captain?

Firstly, his skill and output are such that he has to be a droppable player. Being a captain precludes this.

Secondly, if you are a s**t player or are prone to serious blunders like what Grimes showed today, as captain you lose significant respect from your players. Same if your manager at work was incompetent, a poor player as captain has little respect from those he leads.

All this stuff about Grimes perhaps being a good leader off the field - as it stands, Melbourne has been poor during his captaincy. Sure it isn't 100% attributable to him, but how much worse could the team be WITHOUT him as captain?

Firstly, his skill and output are such that he has to be a droppable player. Being a captain precludes this.

Secondly, if you are a s**t player or are prone to serious blunders like what Grimes showed today, as captain you lose significant respect from your players. Same if your manager at work was incompetent, a poor player as captain has little respect from those he leads.

Just like Nick Maxwell.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers

Reluctantly, I have to agree.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of Grimes being safe at the selection table, and whilst he remains captain, he is exactly that. There is a seismic difference between his good and bad, and whilst the errant kicks tend to stick out in people's minds, it is for good reason. He often finds the worst possible time to do them, today being no exception. As harsh as it sounds, it doesn't demonstrate strong leadership to be consistently making mistakes under pressure.

I think 2015 should see Jones as the sole captain.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC

He has been ok this year when he hasn't had to dispose of the ball. He is truly a liability in that regard. In the same category as TMac, but without the pace and body to make up for it.

Yep, he does the odd really good spoil, but IMO players that can do that are a dime a dozen. He has no weapons other than a good spoil. Any good work he does is immediately cancelled out most times he has to hit a target. I saw someone post that it's a knee-jerk reaction. A knee-jerk reaction every week for 15 weeks ey

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's pretty unlikely that he'd get dropped to Casey. I wouldn't mind seeing him played in a different position for a few weeks, just to freshen him up or something.

Defensive forward is the obvious role I guess. Even as an on-baller perhaps.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just like Nick Maxwell.

Collingwood won a premiership under Maxwell.

If the team is winning premierships, then the captain isn't so much of a contentious issue (crap player or not).

Collingwood probably won more matches in 1 season under Maxwell than Melbourne has won in the entirety of Grimes' tenure as captain.

If the team is winning premierships, then the captain isn't so much of a contentious issue (crap player or not).

Collingwood probably won more matches in 1 season under Maxwell than Melbourne has won in the entirety of Grimes' tenure as captain.

That was my point. I don't think his teammates ever questioned him as a captain.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'll back the judgement of Paul Roos and the players Jack Grimes plays next to on the field every week. If they say Jack Grimes should be captain, or co-captain of this club, then I'm happy with that decision. I honestly feel Grimes has had a decent year. His errors are costly and do stand out, but he rarely loses his position and is part of a back 6 that is under pressure week in week out. I feel he's stood up ok on and off the field. People asking to drop him to Casey is plain ridiculous.

I feel Jack would be better playing Rohan Bail's role. That defensive forward flank type. He can find the footy and can shut down a player. His occasional howler wouldn't be as costly either.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Well no s**t, Maxwell had Swan, Pendlebury, Beams, Sidebottom, Cloke etc at his disposal, how in the blue hell can you use this as something against Grimes' captaincy?

My God man.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I see we are still averaging 60 posts per Grimes clanger. Confirmation bias is awesome. If there actually was a thread worthy of a ****ed up kick on the weekend it would be for Dawes who rather than mishit a kick by 2 meters thought it would be a good idea to bomb the ball straight to two Port players who happily ran it the other way for the winning goal.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I see we are still averaging 60 posts per Grimes clanger. Confirmation bias is awesome. If there actually was a thread worthy of a ****** up kick on the weekend it would be for Dawes who rather than mishit a kick by 2 meters thought it would be a good idea to bomb the ball straight to two Port players who happily ran it the other way for the winning goal.

Made this EXACT point in another thread. That kick from Dawes cost us the game. That was worse than any clanger Grimes made throughout the game. Because we were in front with less than three minutes to go, and he centres the ball to a 2 on 1 against us, and they run it down and deliver it to Schulz. I nearly threw my beer at the tv when he kicked it. He simply had to hit the boundary line where virtually ALL our players were! We had been winning the clearances as well, so fair chance we would have won the clearance or kept the ball tied up our end for awhile longer at the very least. Now THAT was a terrible kick, but no thread has been made on that! Yes, the Grimes kick was a shocker, but let's be fair dinkum, every bloke in the red and blue made mistakes on Sunday. If you want to be picky, the Dawes kick was a bigger mistake than the Grimes one...

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seems to be a fair bit of hate for Dawes lately, and it's probably not justified. He's kicked 16 goals in just 13 games this year, and if he hadn't been injured for a number of games he could've gone close beating his PB of 30 goals and 1 Brownlow vote in 2010. Cut the guy some slack, he's only 26.

Back