Recommitted Jack Gunston [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm curious how does it make sense from a Melbourne perspective? Which one of Brown, Tmac, Fritsch, or Jackson are you kicking out of the forward line? There's no way you can play Gunston with all of them.

About to turn 30 and had 2 lots of back surgery in the last year I don't see how it makes sense for Melbourne.

Was thinking the same. Add Weideman as well but he looks like leaving IMO. Maybe Tmac after a pretty good season is moving as well. Those two out would net decent picks, Gunstan would only cost a late 2nd at the very most, more likely a 3rd after his back issues.

Maybe we could Chip in a 4th round pick
Why does Gunston get raised every year?? The guy has no interest in moving and he's hardly going to be pushed out, he's contracted. Tom Browne every year bangs on about how getable he is. He clearly doesn't have Gunston or his managers phone number cause if he made a call he'd be told Gunston's not going anywhere... That's the most infuriating thing about media, make a call to the player and ask, are you going to leave...if the player is contracted and he says, nope, not intending to, then that basically the end of it.
Go make up another story Tom Browne...Using clever little phrases like the jungle drums are beating on this one doesn't make any less factitious....

I'm curious how does it make sense from a Melbourne perspective? Which one of Brown, Tmac, Fritsch, or Jackson are you kicking out of the forward line? There's no way you can play Gunston with all of them.

About to turn 30 and had 2 lots of back surgery in the last year I don't see how it makes sense for Melbourne.
team in the premiership window going after a veteran with premiership experience

Not that dumb of an idea

team in the premiership window going after a veteran with premiership experience

Not that dumb of an idea
How would you fit him into the team?

Keep in mind his mobility could be completely shot after his back issues. I think that money could be better used elsewhere.

How would you fit him into the team?

Keep in mind his mobility could be completely shot after his back issues. I think that money could be better used elsewhere.
He'd start over any of your forwards for a start.

He'd start over any of your forwards for a start.
Strange comment, in his prime yes. But coming off two rounds of back surgery and missing a year of footy aswell as being the wrong side of 30 now, their is a fair bit of uncertainty about it. He definitely wouldn’t start ahead of Luke Jackson, that’s for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange comment, in his prime yes. But coming off two rounds of back surgery and missing a year of footy aswell as being the wrong side of 30 now, their is a fair bit of uncertainty about it. He definitely wouldn’t start ahead of Luke Jackson, that’s for sure.
Jackson can play ruck and start bench to play both, Gunston isn't gonna be behind any player at your club period. Confident that he's fit day one pre season and will be the same anyway, was moving fine in that Saints game he played.

Was a top 3 coleman and B&F Winner.

Jackson can play ruck and start bench to play both, Gunston isn't gonna be behind any player at your club period. Confident that he's fit day one pre season and will be the same anyway, was moving fine in that Saints game he played.

He was moving fine apart from the fact he had 7 touches, 1 mark, not a single scoring shot and then had to miss the rest of the season with the same issue? 1 lot of surgery didn't work, there's no certainty a second lot will.

I'm quite happy with our 24 year old, healthy, 47 goal medium forward who plays the same position/role. I'm not saying Gunston is washed he's just not a need for us he'd be better off staying at hawks or going to a different club. Plus we don't have the draft currency you'd be after.

Assuming he was open to a move within Victoria there isn't really a natural suitor. Maybe St Kilda whose avenues to goal are King, Membrey who is a bit undersized and smalls? Would be great for the Dogs with Bruce out but he's not an insurance pick up, he's a best 22 player and would cost as much. You'd assume he stays where he is and maybe explores free agency next year if a 2 or 3 year deal is on offer.

Gunston ahead of Ben Brown? Considering Brown has finish top 2 in the Coleman twice.

Assuming he was open to a move within Victoria there isn't really a natural suitor. Maybe St Kilda whose avenues to goal are King, Membrey who is a bit undersized and smalls? Would be great for the Dogs with Bruce out but he's not an insurance pick up, he's a best 22 player and would cost as much. You'd assume he stays where he is and maybe explores free agency next year if a 2 or 3 year deal is on offer.
The thing is Gunston has had success in many positions - KPF/HFF/Wing/CHB/HBF, you'd think Bevo would froth over the thought of picking up Gunston.

Also a good fit for Geelong.

Can see a Gunston for late 1st round kinda deal to either Geelong/WBD.

would hawks be interested in Melbourne's Brayshaw? or is he too much like Mitchell, Worpel etc?
We need a composed inside/outside mid with pace.

Brayshaw doesn’t really fit that.

He was moving fine apart from the fact he had 7 touches, 1 mark, not a single scoring shot and then had to miss the rest of the season with the same issue? 1 lot of surgery didn't work, there's no certainty a second lot will.

I'm quite happy with our 24 year old, healthy, 47 goal medium forward who plays the same position/role. I'm not saying Gunston is washed he's just not a need for us he'd be better off staying at hawks or going to a different club. Plus we don't have the draft currency you'd be after.
He was moving fine, was playing as a defender in a game where we got smashed.

He had issues yes but i'm confident he'll be fine. He's staying anyway.

Last season Gunston played he shat on Ben Brown. Browns form isn't close.
The last season he played? Before injury?
What about Brown’s last season before injury?

Brown averaging 2 goals a game since getting back in the side after struggling earlier in the year coming off injury.

Gunston older than Brown needs to come back from a year off with injury. Brown will be much fitter next year having come back this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back