Hawks2011

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Chelsea
Was having a debate with a Mate who is a carlton supporter about who we would rather have in our team. Jack Gunston or Justin Westhoff?

Now I know that they are slightly different players but based on skill and potential, which player would you rather have in your team?

Considering Gunston is 21 and Westhoff is 27.

Hawks2011

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Chelsea
Seriously? Have you actually watched Westhoff? He is tearing games apart.

Westhoff easily.
Really a 26 year old who has just played 3 good games in a row "for the first time in his career", over, a 21 year old with a heap of potential and coming off a 37 goal season?

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Westhoff by daylight, if only because Gunston proved what an utter dickhead he was in how he left.

Hawks2011

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Chelsea
I can't believe people are actually choosing Westhoff. He has played 3 good games for the first time in his footy career. Gunston is a 21 year old and will be a very good player when older.

Hawks2011

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Chelsea
Westhoff on the trade table vs Gunston.....Westoff would attract far more interest at a much higher price.
Really? Do you think anyone would trade pick 24 plus upgrades on two later picks for Westhoff? Because thats what we traded for Gunston and he would be worth a lot more now.

jabbers

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2011
Coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you think
Really? Do you think anyone would trade pick 24 plus upgrades on two later picks for Westhoff? Because thats what we traded for Gunston and he would be worth a lot more now.
Do you think? I'm not sure he has developed since he left Adelaide. Westhoff pretty comfortably IMO.

Hawks2011

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Chelsea
Do you think

Do you think? I'm not sure he has developed since he left Adelaide. Westhoff pretty comfortably IMO.
Yes i do think. He kicked 38 goals last from 18 games. He's definitely developed and still developing

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
The easiest way for me to answer is to look at it this way. If Buddy and Roughie were both injured or if Schulz was injured, which out of Westhoff or Gunston would you prefer as your sole big target in the forward line while all the rest were out injured?

For me it would be Westhoff.

jabbers

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2011
Coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes i do think. He kicked 38 goals last from 18 games. He's definitely developed and still developing
Mmm theose numbers aren't much better than his Adelaide ones! You obviously think its a close comparison as you created the poll however Westhoff would be an automatic starter at hawthorn, not a fringe player like Gunston.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gunston played almost exclusively up forward, while Westy played a little down back, a little in the ruck, a fair bit on the wing, and a fair bit down forward.
Player stats for 2012 (Westy - Gunston)
Possies per game: 15.8 - 11.5
Marks per game: 5.3 - 4.3
Hitouts: 61 - 0
Goals per game: 1.3 - 2
Goal accuracy: 74% - 65%
Now consider Hawks had 1492 i50s compared to Port's 1010, we normalise to i50 count to get
Goals/(game*[i50 per game]): Westy = 0.028, Gunston = 0.030
If I had data for time spent inside forward 50 we could do another level of normalisation, but I'd say given Westy's increased possessions, marks, and HOs it's fair to say the discrepancy in goals is easily accounted for.

Now I do actually rate Gunston, but Westhoff is unfairly maligned across BF and the general media (issues around consistency are fair), only now after his last 3 games getting some more kudos that he deserves.

But yeah, Westhoff for mine.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
You'd have to say Westhoff right now but it's a fairly silly poll

One player is 5 years older than the other and both play different roles. I do think some people are being harsh on Gunston however, he's competing with Franklin and Roughead for a spot at the moment.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
The trouble for Justin has always been application and consistency. I think his ability is, and has been since he was drafted, a level above Gunston.

Back