Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been a brilliant player for us over the journey.

He was an elite HFF / Third Tall forward for years, and in Clarko's latter years he played the utility role really well and he never once complained or had poor body language - even though it was at the expense of his ultimate goal tally.

As sad as it is to see him go I don't blame him at all for leaving for another chance at success, good luck to him.

Thank you again for making the Bloods Bleed.

Luke Hodge is 100% a Brisbane person now to the point he recruits players from Hawthorn and his his kids if AFL standard will play for Brisbane.

Does Hodge possess the magical power to change the father/son rules? 41 games doesn't get Brisbane's hands on his kids.

Isaac Smith will always be remembered as a Geelong Norm Smith Medallist.

It's all about what you choose to remember. I'll choose to remember him as a Hawthorn 3 time premiership player who had a big say in which direction the 2013 GF went. If you want to torture yourself by remembering his one (hopefully only one!) flag for Geelong over his 3 with us, then you are doing both him and yourself a disservice.

100% correct Frawley, Hale, Lake, Gibson, Burgoyne will all be remembered as Hawthorn premiership players not as players from their original club.

Well all of those except Lake played 100 or more games for Hawthorn, so seeing them as Hawthorn makes sense. If you add up all the games Hodge, Smith, Birchall, S.Mitchell and Lewis played for teams other than Hawthorn it still doesn't up to the number of games Burgoyne played for us. The most so far is 55 from Lewis. Smith will catch him I suppose, and given Geelong like playing people until they need to be carried off to the old folks home, is a good chance of getting to 100. Not sure Gunston will given his recent injury history. I'd prefer all those who left to play the last seasons or two (or three) had stayed, but some of them like Lewis for leaving for contracts we were not willing to provide, and Lewis showed the extra year from Melbourne wasn't wise. I think we should do our best to honour flag heroes, but not at the expense of rolling over and signing contracts that don't make sense for the club.

Does Hodge possess the magical power to change the father/son rules? 41 games doesn't get Brisbane's hands on his kids.

It's all about what you choose to remember. I'll choose to remember him as a Hawthorn 3 time premiership player who had a big say in which direction the 2013 GF went. If you want to torture yourself by remembering his one (hopefully only one!) flag for Geelong over his 3 with us, then you are doing both him and yourself a disservice.

Well all of those except Lake played 100 or more games for Hawthorn, so seeing them as Hawthorn makes sense. If you add up all the games Hodge, Smith, Birchall, S.Mitchell and Lewis played for teams other than Hawthorn it still doesn't up to the number of games Burgoyne played for us. The most so far is 55 from Lewis. Smith will catch him I suppose, and given Geelong like playing people until they need to be carried off to the old folks home, is a good chance of getting to 100. Not sure Gunston will given his recent injury history. I'd prefer all those who left to play the last seasons or two (or three) had stayed, but some of them like Lewis for leaving for contracts we were not willing to provide, and Lewis showed the extra year from Melbourne wasn't wise. I think we should do our best to honour flag heroes, but not at the expense of rolling over and signing contracts that don't make sense for the club.
Brisbane academy for Hodge boys

Will we get any compensation or does he go for free?
No, because we have also got Amon by FA

We only get something if Brisbane choose to trade for him (in order to preserve their own FA compo)

Luke Hodge is 100% a Brisbane person now to the point he recruits players from Hawthorn and his his kids if AFL standard will play for Brisbane.
Isaac Smith will always be remembered as a Geelong Norm Smith Medallist.
100% correct Frawley, Hale, Lake, Gibson, Burgoyne will all be remembered as Hawthorn premiership players not as players from their original club.

We need to get Hodge back as a assistant or something.

Our history with father/sons is so tragic it actually wouldn't surprise me to see Hodgey's boys become the next Selwood brothers but in Lions colours.

Let's hope they're all Troys if that eventuates.

We need to get Hodge back as a assistant or something.
he just spent almost $5m on a property in Bulimba, Hodgey is well settled in Brisbane and isn't coming back to Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, because we have also got Amon by FA

We only get something if Brisbane choose to trade for him (in order to preserve their own FA compo)
What a crap system. They should be mutually exclusive.
If those 2 transfers happen over subsequent years, we get both Amon & a compo pick.

Guess you've just gotta be smart & try to plan for that in advance

Gunston has been a super player for the club but this is disappointing: that he obviously doesn’t see great prospects at Hawthorn over the next 2-3 years; that he chose not to help steer the side as a leader, especially with the club being at such a low point off field; and that he waited until we get nothing for him to leave (as opposed to 2 years ago).

Gunston has been a super player for the club but this is disappointing: that he obviously doesn’t see great prospects at Hawthorn over the next 2-3 years; that he chose not to help steer the side as a leader, especially with the club being at such a low point off field; and that he waited until we get nothing for him to leave (as opposed to 2 years ago).
Well hopefully it's like when Deledio pissed off from Richmond to get a flag with GWS and we're able to do well and rub it in his face a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back