Other Jack Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Couldn't find a thread about this kid and it looks like he'll be something else.
If you missed it Jack ran the 100m in 10.44 seconds. Now that may not be impressive compared to what is run by others, however, he is 16 years old and therefore he theoretically has much room for improvement.
I will be watching Jack's career closely as he develops and challenges for a spot on the Australian track squad.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-s...k-in-relay-final/story-fndukor0-1227077009235

10.44 is bloody impressive for a 16-year old. However, we have had others like that. Paul Narracott ran 10.6 at 16 for example.

I've no info on whether he is a big kid or not for his age (ie how much more will he grow), or how far advanced is his training (is he doing weights or overloads yet?).

The current Australian U18 record is Phil Chiodi at 10.46. The Under 16 record is Jordan Shelley - 10.67. Notice something these two names have in common? Yep - you've never heard of them again. A common complaint with junior champs in Australia.

To use a reasonably current example, Aaron Rouge-Serret ran 10.60 when he was 17. In the next 5 years he improved by .43 and won the Aus champs (been injured ever since). that much of an improvement is pretty impressive from age 17. Shirvington ran 10.03 at age 20 - fantastic - that remained his PB.

Still, you have to give the kid props - you have to be running those times NOW to have any hope of running sub-10 any time later. Sprinters are born, not made (except chemically:cool:). What he now has to do is change from being a sprinter to a fast sprinter - and that's bloody hard work. And if he can run that fast and even knows what shape a football is, the AFL clubs are going to start calling......................

He ran 10.42 this arvo with a weaker tailwind than last time, amazingly he only took up sprinting to get better at jumping. Has a 76 yo coach who makes him jump onto a waist high box with a 10 kg weight for training. Just saw the vision of a relay run he did same day as the 10.44, he thinks that run was quicker.

The kid just ran 10.13 with a strong tail wind.

Kid is built like a beast for a 16-year-old, too:

051564-09a2ade4-7d13-11e4-b418-1a31bf855847.jpg

Poor bugger on his left side ran an almost-as-astonishing 10.18. But he didn't win so no-one cares.....:p Kid that came third ran 10.33 - very very very quick as well.

If they actually stay with athletics we might have a decent relay team in a few years. The kid that won the under 16's 100m from WA is a great prospect as well.

A tail wind of +3.4m/s adjusted to +0.0m/s wind probably puts him at around 10.30-10.35 range. Wallaby have you heard much about this kid. I only heard of him the other day. So at the the maximum legal wind of +2.0m/s you are looking at around 10.20

One of the gurus on Track and Field News - the Bible of Athletics - El Toro reckons its 10.29 and did the calculation for other kids in the race and an U-16 race. This was an U-18 races so you have 16,17 and 18 year olds running in it.

http://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...Australian-Results-News-and-Views-2014/page11
Adjusted times:
Hale 10.13 +3.4 = 10.29 0.0
Gallaugher 10.58 +2.2 = 10.70 0.0 ** A 14 year old who ran in the U/16's a few minutes earlier
Browning 10.18 +3.4 = 10.34 0.0
Williams 10.33 +3.4 = 10.49 0.0

Best for 16 year old is the 10.19 +0.5 by Japanese star, Yoshihide Kiryu on 3 November 12
http://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...Australian-Results-News-and-Views-2014/page11

upload_2014-12-6_23-35-52.png

Jack Hale has clocked 10.13 seconds to win the national under 18 100 metre title in Adelaide

AUSTRALIA’S fastest boy Jack Hale has run an astonishing time of 10.13 to win the national Under 18 all schools title, but a powerful tailwind means he can’t claim a new record.

Hale burst into public consciousness in September with his national record 10.44 s run. He later improved his mark to 10.42. He dealt with the hype brilliantly in Adelaide on Saturday but a massive 3.4 metre per second tailwind prevented him from claiming the national mark, although it counts as a meet record. The wind must be 2m/s or lower to qualify for a record.

It was the fastest time run by any Australian in 2014.

The previous best 100m was Josh Clarke’s 10.20 but that was also wind assisted with a +3.3 breeze at his back. Hale edged out Rohan Browning of NSW in 10.18 with Trae Williams of Queensland in 10.33 and Jordan Shelley of NSW in 10.44.

Hale, just 16, still considers himself first and foremost a long-jumper, but produced a colossal finish to win the 100m final.

Athletics Australia moved the final from the home straight to the back straight to allow the best 100m junior field ever assembled in Australia to go for broke with a tail wind.

Retired Australian sprinter Melinda Gainsford-Taylor was at the track for the final and declared it the start of a new era in Australian men’s sprinting. “Can you believe it? When you sit there and think of that time, that is quite extraordinary and so young,” Gainsford-Taylor said. “Even though it’s wind assisted, you actually have to run that fast. I know in the era I was running that was one of the things - you need to be able to run that fast regardless.

Jack Hale has clocked 10.13 seconds to win the national under 18 100 metre title in Adelaide

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...ll-schools-championships-20141205-120rry.html

This article came out during the week and talks about the other kids in the race being really strong as well. Before saturday Hale was still focused on being a long jumper over a sprinter so whether that will change or not but the idea that having a group of kids with elite talent all around the same age will push each other to keep going faster.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...ll-schools-championships-20141205-120rry.html

This article came out during the week and talks about the other kids in the race being really strong as well. Before saturday Hale was still focused on being a long jumper over a sprinter so whether that will change or not but the idea that having a group of kids with elite talent all around the same age will push each other to keep going faster.

Could any of these guys realistically break the 10-second barrier at any point, or should they be faster now than what they are to be doing that down the line? I mean, Usain Bolt didn't crack the 10 second mark until he was 21 years old, and the vast majority of people to have done it did so in their early 20s. I'm not really too well versed in this kind of thing from a sprinting perspective, but I'd assume there'd be a fair bit of improvement and natural development being made between the ages of 16-21, wouldn't there?

Could any of these guys realistically break the 10-second barrier at any point, or should they be faster now than what they are to be doing that down the line? I mean, Usain Bolt didn't crack the 10 second mark until he was 21 years old, and the vast majority of people to have done it did so in their early 20s. I'm not really too well versed in this kind of thing from a sprinting perspective, but I'd assume there'd be a fair bit of improvement and natural development being made between the ages of 16-21, wouldn't there?

The 14yo kid Gallaugher that REH mentioned in his post has done a faster 200m time than Bolt at the same age, so as a measuring stick the potential in these kids to be amongst the best in the world is there, but the body development and growth spurts are things they cant control. Like the best footballers at 15-16 yo some fall away completely, whether it be injuries or poor mental application. I guess the biggest fear is if one of these kids gets sick of coming 2nd or 3rd all the time and just gives it up or goes to another sport.

Even with a 3.4m tail wind, 10.13 is ******* quick for a 16 year old.

But Wallaby hit it earlier in the thread. So many teenagers run blistering times but never see them again. Athletics and swimming suffer an incredibly high rate of burn out. The monotonous of the training, and the competitiveness of the events makes it very very tough, and the 100m sprint is the most competitive event in either of those two disciplines.

Interesting that he didn't compete in the long jump at this meet due to an injured heel.

Obviously it can't affect his sprinting too much, but would still be undesirable to have in terms of getting to 100%.

Still a long way to go, but we've obviously got a serious talent on our hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Bolt didn't run 100m seriously until his Olympic winning year. 200m was his go with some 400m. To give you and idea wher Hale compares to Bolt - Bolt ran a 20.13 when he was 16. Hale ran a 21.29 yesterday to break his PB, (wind 0.1m/sec) but still 0.39sec short of the national under-18 record held jointly by Darren Clark and Paul Greene.

upload_2014-12-8_17-49-4.png

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...147742352?nk=095404f79683eb2fd6d88b789f30325f

TASMANIA’s 16-year-old Jack Hale lived up to his reputation as the fastest schoolboy sprinter in the land by claiming the under-18 100m and 200m double at the Australian All Schools Championships in Adelaide at the weekend, but he then reiterated his intention to remain a long jumper.

The same calm head that guided Hale to triumph in the most competitive schoolboy 100m final in Australian history, in a phenomenal wind-assisted time of 10.13sec, is also helping him to resist the hype around the glamour sprints in favour of the event where he is most likely to succeed internationally.

He may be Jack Flash now, but he is intent on becoming Jumping Jack Flash in the future, once he conquers a heel issue that is currently preventing him from long jumping.
However, the world youth rankings indicate that speed at this age doesn’t necessarily translate to senior sprint success.

The fastest man in history Usain Bolt does not register on the all-time under-18 list for 100m (he does hold the record for 200m) and fellow world 100m champion Yohan Blake comes in at No 33. Few on the youth list have gone on to make a major impact on the senior ranks.

Australia has not had an Olympic medallist in the 100m since Hec Hogan in 1956, but has had three Olympic silver medallists in the long jump in 30 years (Gary Honey in 1984, Jai Taurima in 2000 and Mitchell Watt in 2012).

That’s why it makes sense that Hale still sees himself as a long jumper first.

“Long jump and the 100 are my main goals,’’ he said after winning the 200m yesterday.

Hale’s speed should translate well to the long jump, but it took a toll on his growing body as he backed up yesterday.

He still won the 200m easily in a personal best of 21.29sec, (wind 0.1m/sec) 0.39sec short of the national under-18 record held jointly by Darren Clark and Paul Greene.

“I wasn’t expecting to do much, my hamstrings are the tightest they have ever been and I have to do three races tomorrow (at the schools knockout final),’’ he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...147742352?nk=095404f79683eb2fd6d88b789f30325f

Blame the report.
Why? the story was accurate it talked about him finishing 6th in the semi final. The headline is also accurate
"Teenager Jack Hale misses 100m final at World Youth Championships"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back