List Mgmt. Jack Henry contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to the former rookie on signing a new contract; hopefully his next deal is longer than just a 1-year extension though

Henry has also signed a new one-year deal with the Cats until the end of 2021, capping another impressive season for the former rookie.

After playing 23 of a possible 25 games last season, the 22-year-old has featured in all 14 matches this season. It is a record that stands at 59 of a possible 61 games since his debut in round two, 2018.

And for those who haven't seen the read up on how he's been tracking this season:

Contract news -https://www.afl.com.au/news/495990

Seems very very weird when the likes of Parsons, Abbott and Z Guthrie were handed multiple years recently.

Good for he Cats but Jack might want to find new management.

I wonder if it's just around the uncertainty of list sizes and TPP going forward - at this stage it seems unlikely there will be significant changes for next season and more likely changes from 2022 onwards

Signing him to a 1-year extension for now allows for easy negotiations next year once more is known, compared with having to renegotiate deals already locked in

He’s been great this year. We have got excellent value from him and he looks every bit a 200 gamer.

At first I winced at the one year extension but agree with cats_09 that it’s about buying both parties more time. Local lad, not going anywhere anyway.

Henry is a must keep player, and I hope we do long term. Along with Blic, MOC, Bews, Stewart and Kolo, we have possibly the #1 defence in the comp. Henry is deceptively quick and will only get better, and clearly a top 22 lock.

The one year contract may seem out of step with the recent history of the comp but in 2020 history is dead. Cap will drop but no one knows by how much. Taking a one year contract allows space for both parties to negotiate once cap limits are known.

But it also shows that he trusts that the club won't do something in the meantime to completely cook the cap, like contracting high priced free agents. Ball is in the clubs court to catch in this young lads blindfolded trust fall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know much about how good his younger brother Oliver is supposed to be? Any chance we'll go in for him and have another set of brothers at the club?

Anyone know much about how good his younger brother Oliver is supposed to be? Any chance we'll go in for him and have another set of brothers at the club?
Not sure on how good he is. I will say though he's listed as a medium forward and has had a run through defence which is the same as his brother in his draft year.

Do we spend the first on another player who might be a medium defender? If he's a forward I'm not completely against it but there's a couple of keys and mids we'd be thinking about I'd say

I wonder if it's just around the uncertainty of list sizes and TPP going forward - at this stage it seems unlikely there will be significant changes for next season and more likely changes from 2022 onwards

Signing him to a 1-year extension for now allows for easy negotiations next year once more is known, compared with having to renegotiate deals already locked in
As a matter of sheer practicality, the AFL, AFLPA and Clubs must be agreed about the details of list sizes and cap for next season (they have to be, clubs need to do their lists and contracts for next year within the next few weeks), but the following season is probably far more up in the air.

As a matter of sheer practicality, the AFL, AFLPA and Clubs must be agreed about the details of list sizes and cap for next season (they have to be, clubs need to do their lists and contracts for next year within the next few weeks), but the following season is probably far more up in the air.

It seems that there hasn't been an agreement or announcement though -this is from Clarkson just 3 days ago:

Clarkson is annoyed that AFL clubs haven’t been given greater clarity on what list sizes will look like next year with cuts expected because of the financial fallout from COVID-19.

"I can't understand what the delay is on that," the four-time premiership Hawthorn coach said.

"So please, AFL, give us some information. We need it badly."

I totally agree with his frustration, and am surprised that nothing more is known - unless all other 17 clubs know what happens & it's just Hawthorn in the dark

full story - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09/02/the-one-issue-the-afl-has-neglected/

From the club's point of view there probably isn't great urgency to tie him down for multiple years because he's not likely to look elsewhere. So in the current climate and with maybe trying to get other players in over the next couple of years, just keep the status quo until we know more

It seems that there hasn't been an agreement or announcement though -this is from Clarkson just 3 days ago:

I totally agree with his frustration, and am surprised that nothing more is known - unless all other 17 clubs know what happens & it's just Hawthorn in the dark

full story - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09/02/the-one-issue-the-afl-has-neglected/
To be fair to the AFL, we’ve no idea what 2021 will look like.

Will there be crowds? Hubs? How long will the season go for? Etc.

Im not sure with SC and TPP still being unknown that too many deals can be inked. I thing its good for both Henry and club to secure 2021 and comeback once the reality is known.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back