Jack Higgins - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He is an absolute jet who has become a key cog in St Kilda's team and is a criminally underrated player. I firmly believe Richmond would still be contending had they kept Higgins.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond are shattered Higgins left them?

Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He is an absolute jet who has become a key cog in St Kilda's team and is a criminally underrated player. I firmly believe Richmond would still be contending had they kept Higgins.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond are shattered Higgins left them?
Rfc game plan is up the duff at the mo.
Though you are correct to rate Higgins highly, a natural footballer. Tiges should have kept him.

Yep, missed, but IIRC he requested a trade with a year left on his contract. I think the club recognised his talent but given various circumstances saw fit to get him to the Saints.

Yep, missed, but IIRC he requested a trade with a year left on his contract. I think the club recognised his talent but given various circumstances saw fit to get him to the Saints.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but you guys
traded Higgins and Butler to St Kilda for way unders, which was probably okay at the time as you were still winning flags, but yeah, you look back on those deals and think you should have gotten a lot more draft capital back.

Jury is still out on this. The 2 kids Richmond got from picks in the trade are yet to play. Give it a few years before judging the trade.

I don’t think we’re trying to win this trade. We tried to keep him, we always rated him but in the end he wanted to leave and we did the trade for him and didn’t want to make it difficult given what he’d gone through. Good to see him doing well, he’s just a natural footballer

I don’t think we’re trying to win this trade. We tried to keep him, we always rated him but in the end he wanted to leave and we did the trade for him and didn’t want to make it difficult given what he’d gone through. Good to see him doing well, he’s just a natural footballer

I thought we overpaid for him, and underpaid for Butler

How wrong I was

How wrong I was
What was basically a 2nd round pick was about right for Higgins imo. First round pick from 2017 that showed there was enough to work with, but couldn't earn a spot into the side consistently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How wrong I was
I thought the opposite. Most supporters and the club rated higgo and felt we got stitched up but didn’t mind too much bc of what he had been through.

One thing I will say I always thought he’d be perfect as a high half
Forward like Lambert plays for us, didn’t think he’d develop into such a dangerous goal sneak. If he kicks straight he’ll kick 50

One thing I will say I always thought he’d be perfect as a high half
Forward like Lambert plays for us, didn’t think he’d develop into such a dangerous goal sneak. If he kicks straight he’ll kick 50

Neither to be honest. Taken me a while to warm to him, but yeah, seeing that he could easily dob 10 goals in a game without the utensil ups, I've come around

I think successful sides will generally lose a few squad players for salary cap reasons or better opportunities. If guys like Brandon Ellis were getting long term offers of 500k from other clubs, then they would not have been able to keep all their players.

I was spewing we let him go for so cheap. I wanted to keep him as he had a year left. We were too nice about the trade especially since we let butler go so cheap the year before. Stkilda should be greatful we werent absolute cnts during both trades because we easily could have been. Just look at how bombers etc are during trade

He walked from Richmond, under contract, demanding to play for the team he supported in his childhood.

After Richmond kept him on their list for a season while he recovered and another while he adjusted to tempo rigours of footy.

I am happy he is back to full health and realising his potential. Hopefully for him this sort of form becomes his normal output.

But he didn’t cover himself in glory in the way he left the Tigers after what they did for him. And Richmond wanted him to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back