News Jack Hombsch Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pardon the intrusion but l've never seen Jack play TBH. If someone can spare the time can you give me a run down.
Thank you.

Pardon the intrusion but l've never seen Jack play TBH. If someone can spare the time can you give me a run down.
Thank you.

3rd tall defender. cooked body. Good at intercept marking.

Looks like a good will deal all round I think our Clubs have some good connections More importantly we can't stand Victorians Right!
If Gold Coast can fix his hips somehow he'll be a very reliable defender for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you.
His last year uninterrupted with injury/suspension was 2015 (see https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-port-adelaide-power--jack-hombsch?year=2015) . He was one of our top defenders then. Hip and knee injuries wrecked the next 2 years.
He played about 2/3 of games in 2018 but couldn't get back into his old form and we have developing players who appear to be bypassing him. It would have been a gamble keeping him and one that with our list as it is we don't need to take. You on the other hand potentially get a good defender at a cheap price. If you liked Aaron Young at the price you'll like Hombsch.

Really dodgy hips That's no good.
If you watched his game against Collingwood late in the year, Mason Cox despite being a giant, was out pacing, running and turning him. That was probably his worst game.

If you watched his game against Collingwood late in the year, Mason Cox despite being a giant, was out pacing, running and turning him. That was probably his worst game.

I remember it was the second Showdown where it was like *, he's gone.

I remember it was the second Showdown where it was like ****, he's gone.
Yeah he was terrible then as well. Wines missing that goal probably overshadowed that to make me forget about it.

Yeah he was terrible then as well. Wines missing that goal probably overshadowed that to make me forget about it.

Yeah the Wines miss and Jenkins goal/point were the talk, but he was lead to the ball for one of their last quarter goals where he looked 85 years old and then had a horrible effort against Jenkins for that said goal/point. Both efforts were of a guy who just couldn't do it anymore.

I remember it was the second Showdown where it was like ****, he's gone.

The short turnover kick to Doedee, that resulted in Westhoff giving away a 50 for either late contact (soft) or abusive language (that was directed at Jack).

Game still felt safe til then.

But Port gon' Port.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
haven't read this thread at yet but we haven't learnt from the Trengove trade at all

no need to trade him as he is contract we would've got a 4th rounder for him next year.
our lone KPD depth and another great clubman gone for the exact price we would get next year.

good work ports.

Sep 12, 2018
SuperCaliFragilisticPorts2GetLukosius
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
haven't read this thread at yet but we haven't learnt from the Trengove trade at all

no need to trade him as he is contract we would've got a 4th rounder for him next year.
our lone KPD depth and another great clubman gone for the exact price we would get next year.

good work ports.
Better to turn over the list and get more players through.

We’ve got plenty of players who can play that 3rd man up role and could easily uncover more.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Billy Frampton ever been a defender?
Don't like it but if we don't draft something tall (with immediate impact, he may have to fill in when necessary. Wanted him as forward back-up to Charlie.

Essendon mates, at the time he moved to us, reckoned to me that Paddy Ryder was a better defender than a forward. A gun CHB was their opinion.

These are the only back-ups I can see now for a defensive role to replace Hombsch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back