News Jack Hombsch Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

dirtdiver

Rookie
Jul 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My favourite Hombsch memory.

Watching him butcher a 2017 game against the bombers, then proceeding to go on a date with a girl who liked Port.

She was pretty quiet and I was passionate so I ragged on how bad he played and how I saw him out of the club in 18 months.

She whispers, he's my cousin.

Sorry Hombschy

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm OK with this. It's a reward for a good servant, he gets the chance to rebuild his career if he can stay injury free. He had no actual trade value so good on us for not just being ratbags.
Yeh, he deserved another chance. Injury free he was our general in defence, loved watching him play. One of the best defenders Ports have had. Hip injuries are a career killer though, but I hope he can play some good football for GC.

Our Magpie KPP depth is terrible as already mentioned but we had to let him go if he wanted to keep playing regularly at AFL level. Would have preferred 3rd round though but probably unrealistic.

He asked to be!
So what? If he had currency we could, as is we have lost one of our best depth defenders. The value of him to us (and of his contract) was exactly that.

Oh, we are nice guys, I forgot.

wilbur_15

All Australian
Nov 22, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He was contracted. He wanted to stay. He may have been no longer best 22 but he was literally our only KPD option outside of it. I didn't want us to play hard ball, I wanted us to take our ball and go home.

When Jonas or Clurey or Howard gets injured next year and we end up with some poor bugger like Riley Bonner playing at full back I bet we'll be super grateful for that future 4th rounder though.
But, but, Collingwood did it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wilbur_15

All Australian
Nov 22, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't think Hombsch was ever a key defender either, more of a third man up.

He's basically the same size as Burton and Lienert so I can't see why they couldn't play the same role that he did.

I'd honesty rather draft a KPD in this draft and let them develop in the Magpies than have Hombsch. I think he's finished, but just my opinion.

Now we just need some picks to draft those KPD.

Please link, because I was under the assumption Port said we can't guarantee you a best 22 spot, so he asked if he could look elsewhere.

You don't seem to get how this stuff works. Port told him (and Pittard) that he was no longer a best 22 player and that he can explore other opportunities if he likes. That is code for - we don't really want you, if you didn't have a contract we'd be delisting you, it might be a good idea to look for a trade elsewhere.

Don’t know if there’s a game for points in Townsville but he can definitely add one more ground to his name in Cairns.

Two things about this.

• He averages a new stadium less than every 5 games.

• It's all the more remarkable given VFL/AFL games record holder Boomer Harvey was front and centre for the Kangaroos' travelling roadshow across 432 games and 21 seasons, yet 'only' played at 17 different venues.

lol Hombsch couldn't be any more "hide the pain harold" in that picture.

harold-0.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back