News Jack Hombsch Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Different situations, I know. But a lot of us thought Jonas was totally cooked when he was out of form a few years back - now he's our captain.

In his early Port career, I thought Jack was destined to hold down our backline for a decade and would captain the club one day. It was a shame that didn't pan out, so I guess I'm just glad he's playing good footy somewhere.

Different situations, I know. But a lot of us thought Jonas was totally cooked when he was out of form a few years back - now he's our captain.

In his early Port career, I thought Jack was destined to hold down our backline for a decade and would captain the club one day. It was a shame that didn't pan out, so I guess I'm just glad he's playing good footy somewhere.
That’s BF for you

I didn’t see him play but I doubt he would have been in the side against Brisbane.

Glad Jack is having a good run at GC, but he would still have been nowhere near our best 22 this season.

We still have Lienert and McKenzie who could come in and play similar roles as well.

Stoked to see Hombschy playing some great footy for the Suns.

His form, Howard's lack thereof and Watts' injury does beg the question of whether our list management blundered by moving him on though. I think we've made more good list management decisions than bad in recent years, but we do have a knack for moving on good depth players for limited or no currency.
Two separate ones here.
1. Was the decision to move him on correct? Yes then and still yes.
2. Did we get unders? Yes, Port are s**t at getting value for players. What's the last player we've had left you'd say we got good value for? Let alone having a clear win like clubs have had our expense like Wingard and Polec for the last two.

If he has good form at the GC then there isn't any reason why he'd out of our 22.
The claim was made he was too slow and his body had broken down but you can't say that he wouldn't be in our current team if we have KPD players that aren't performing ie. Dougal.
Id like to see how we go with Lienert but McKenzie I'd be very surprised gets a game with us again. He's a guy I think Ken doesn't think is worth persisting with, we'll see.

He was a whipping boy on here and plenty wanted him gone for being too slow.
I hope we got something reasonable for him but can’t remember.
Top top bloke and wish him all the best.

This is pedantic but I see a whipping boy as a player who gets blamed for everything and have their character attacked rather than their performance disproportionately criticized.
Hombsch was never a whipping boy. He did lose speed and people were critical of his performances, but it all seemed to bs pretty low key. Look at this thread compared to a thread about S Gray, Pittard or Amon.

I ******* love Hombsch. I hear along the grapevine that he's incredible in the disability sector. You sometimes get these types who come out and do an event here and there where they show their face for the media event and then * off. Hombsch is in it at a grass roots level. From all counts just an extremely high quality human being.

I love a good boo to put ex Port players off but I could never find it in me to boo him.

At the time I said it was s**t to let him go for a fourth rounder and it’s true today.

Even if he wasn’t in our 22 this year his value at the magpies and club would be worth more than pick 60odd

Having said that it’s not exactly a decision that will haunt us.

Have you ever thought that languishing in the Magpies over playing first team AFL may not have been in Jack's plans?

Two separate ones here.
2. Did we get unders? Yes, Port are s**t at getting value for players. What's the last player we've had left you'd say we got good value for? Let alone having a clear win like clubs have had our expense like Wingard and Polec for the last two.

Serious questions. What would have been adequate compensation for Jack in your opinion? And how close to what Gold Coast would pay do you think that would have actually been?

We found Jack a new home because he is a good person and served the club as best he could when he was here. He wanted 1st team football and we found a team that could offer that.

Picks shmicks.

Have you ever thought that languishing in the Magpies over playing first team AFL may not have been in Jack's plans?

Then I would have found him a place to play.

But I would be asking more than pick 60odd after we’ve already given said team a 1st 22 player for a pick 60odd recently in young.

But as I said I’m not cut up about it. It’s just I thought poet should have asked for more instead of playing very friendly at the trade table as we always do. I’m not convinced it gets paid back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then I would have found him a place to play.

But I would be asking more than pick 60odd after we’ve already given said team a 1st 22 player for a pick 60odd recently in young.

But as I said I’m not cut up about it. It’s just I thought poet should have asked for more instead of playing very friendly at the trade table as we always do. I’m not convinced it gets paid back.
People rewriting history! Hombsch was playing some terrible footy last year ... Terrible! He was told that he was not in the clubs plans for first-22, and he elected to look at other opportunities. The club & his management looked for other offers, but none came! In the end Gold Coast was the only club willing to take a punt on his cooked hips. So who was in the box seat to demand anything for him!

He is playing well in a really young & poor side ATM, suddenly he is worth much more to the "expert" list managers here on BF.

Go figure!

People rewriting history! Hombsch was playing some terrible footy last year ... Terrible! He was told that he was not in the clubs plans for first-22, and he elected to look at other opportunities. The club & his management looked for other offers, but none came! In the end Gold Coast was the only club willing to take a punt on his cooked hips. So who was in the box seat to demand anything for him!

He is playing well in a really young & poor side ATM, suddenly he is worth much more to the "expert" list managers here on BF.

Go figure!

It's not about what he was worth to us but rather what he was worth to them.

Any time you trade a player that is going to be in another team's best 22 with guaranteed time on the park, you should be trying to get the best available deal.

Now, no-one is saying that Jack wasn't playing terrible football last year, but his form this year has been good. There's a chance we wrote him off too soon if he's still able to play good football, Gold Coast or not. As someone else mentioned, there was a time that Jonas looked completely done at AFL level but now he's our general down back.

I'm not losing sleep over Hombsch but I didn't like the trade at the time and I would have preferred we kept him. It would have been better for us if we did considering the form of anyone that isn't called Jonas, Clurey or Houston.

Then you consider the comments that were made by Bassett RE: Jacko a couple of years ago - something along the lines of how important it is to keep good personalities around the football club. They don't get any better than Jack.

Serious questions. What would have been adequate compensation for Jack in your opinion? And how close to what Gold Coast would pay do you think that would have actually been?
A future third for us sending a future fourth their way. I'm not expecting to have gotten a pick in the 20's for him. I'd even have taken a swap of our third for their third as a better deal. A fourth round pick is 'a pick to look like you aren't being screwed'.

Port's trading strategy is telling everyone you'll accept peanuts when trading out. And being about the only club when trading in that starts as a reasonable position as their starting point, rather than something clearly in our favour. Witness what we payed for Dixon and Ryder, when one had a long injury history and the other had a suspension over his head, yet we payed plenty.

He is playing well in a really young & poor side ATM, suddenly he is worth much more to the "expert" list managers here on BF.!
If you go back people were saying we got short-changed for Hombsch, Young, Austin and Pittard (we got below nothing for Pittard ffs) as the trades happened, not 6 months later.

The club needs to get more value rather than late picks that don't help us much.

Two separate ones here.
Yep

The only person that I'll give the club a pass to for giving away for pick 95 is Lobbe.

That is a player we absolutely had to get rid of at all costs, especially with his high salary.

The others I mentioned, it wouldn't have been the end of the world if they stayed around as depth for another year because the club took a stand and wanted to upgrade a mid 3rd rounder to something better like an early 3rd or late 2nd for example rather than accepting a pick in the 70s.

If you go back people were saying we got short-changed for Hombsch, Young, Austin and Pittard (we got below nothing for Pittard ffs) as the trades happened, not 6 months later.

The club needs to get more value rather than late picks that don't help us much.
We seem to look after the players’ wants and needs before our own needs in getting fair value. I guess we are a rather an empathetic club towards our players. I guess that comes with some positives and negatives but it is frustrating that we seem to get unders.
Mind you, at this stage, it seems Crows might have got unders for Cameron and paid overs for Gibbs, so that’s a positive.

We seem to look after the players wants and needs before our own needs in getting fair value. I guess we are a rather an empathetic club towards our players. I guess that comes with some positives and negatives but it is frustrating that we seem to get unders.
Mind you, at this stage, it seems Crows might have got unders for Cameron and paid overs for Gibbs, so that’s a positive.
I'm not asking to be unreasonable at the trade table either. But I know we do it as a favour for these guys, but it seems like we don't get favours coming our way much.

Players of free agency age who aren't auto best 22 basically have no trade currency. Clubs will just pick up someone else as a free agent. The club didn't see a future for Jack given his injured hip. We already had burton and lycett as in's. Part of the lycett plan seems to have been to send jack watts into defence.I was miffed with the trade given we kept McKenzie and Hewitt on our list. Anyway. Jack got a three year contract as opposed to being on the last year of his contract. He had more worth to Gold Coast than Port. Hopefully we do something useful with the $ we saved.

It's total revisionism to say that Hombsch was playing terrible football last year. The second Showdown aside, he performed very solidly last year, albeit not quite at the level he had been pre injury.

Hombsch according to Champion Data went from one of the best one on one KPD's in 2015 to one of the worst in 2017. In the 2018 prospectus they wrote how he had a career low kicking efficiency in 2017 - "He had the second worst kick rating amoongst key defenders who played more than 5 matches, in front of only Kyle Hartigan." That says a fair bit. Bloody hip operations - yes he had more than one - has seen him decline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back