Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
Pick #20 in the 2013 National Draft.

LESLIE-Jack.jpg

Former club: Gippsland Power
Height: 198cm
Weight: 94kg
Position: Ruckman (however looks to be developed as a key defender)

AFL.com.au Player assessment;

PLAYER ASSESSMENT

Ruckman who is a fierce competitor. Capable of playing as a tall defender, using his natural spring and strong marking to advantage.

Knightmare profile:

Jack Leslie (VIC – Ruck)
Height: 198cm, Weight: 94kg, DOB: 27/04/1995
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: Rookie - undrafted
Profile: Ok but not great tap ruckman. Good mover for his size. He’s a low production guy by position as someone who doesn’t find much of it or take all that many marks.

Comments made by Scotty Clayton:

Taken with the club’s second selection at pick 20, Clayton said the club had snared a strong and combative defender in Jack Leslie.

“We think Jack is a future tall defender, and when you find them you have to take them,” Clayton said.

“We really like his attributes; he’s a grunt, aggressive defender and is unbelievably quick."

Really good weight, I just realized. Thought he'd be a Schade type build, but pound for pound, he's actually the same weight as Rory.

Look at how he just flies and gets those contested marks too. Then dances around an opponent right in front of him to get clear. That's midfielder type agility.

I'm super excited about this guy. Think we'll see him play seniors next year? If he can just cling to Bock and Rory and do everything they do, he could become a regular.

I love that Clayton has recognised that to combat forward lines, we need these big 200cm level defenders. It will very much help us compete against the likes of GWS when they become a force down the track.

Really good weight, I just realized. Thought he'd be a Schade type build, but pound for pound, he's actually the same weight as Rory.

Look at how he just flies and gets those contested marks too. Then dances around an opponent right in front of him to get clear. That's midfielder type agility.

I'm super excited about this guy. Think we'll see him play seniors next year? If he can just cling to Bock and Rory and do everything they do, he could become a regular.

I love that Clayton has recognised that to combat forward lines, we need these big 200cm level defenders. It will very much help us compete against the likes of GWS when they become a force down the track.

Yeah tis true. I think with this bloke though either he flew under the radar, Clayton n co are geniuses or they have overrated him. Time will tell.

Clayton doesnt usually stuff these up.

The more I think about it the more I like it. if he can put on a few more kilos and maintain his speed he should be a nightmare for forwards. Bit like Danie Merret for Brisbane? With Warnock getting older and Day not exactly the solution for FB it could work out. :D

Sam Landsberger
Leslie a definite shock at 20. But the Gippy Power boys love him - great young kid. Lemmens a medium defender who rarely turns it over.
3:25 PM

Leslie shocked me at first but I think guys like this is where recruiters really make there money - look at Rory:thumbsu: If we are to be any chance of competing with GWS and Sydney tall forwards we are going to need 3 or 4 good KPD prospects of Leslie's ilk.

Leslie a rising SUN.
Leslie-a-rising-SUN.jpg

Originally seen as an athletic ruckman, Leslie’s uncompromising desire to beat his man at the football has seen him emerge as a defensive stopper.

“I love the physical nature down back, and hate losing to my opponent,” he said

Strong and combative, Leslie is looking forward to adding more size to his 199cm frame over the summer.

There's your answer, TheJaegerBomb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Combine results for Jack Leslie were:

Height: 198.5cm
Weight: 92.3kg
Skin folds: 43
Hand span: 26 (top 1%)
Standing Vert Jump: 63
Right Run Jump: 72
Left Run Jump: 61
20m sprint: 2.9 (top 6%)
Agility: 8.93
Beep: 12.5
Repeat Sprint: 25.27
3km: 11.48

To give you some perspective, the skinnies, hand-span, weight/height and 20m sprint all range from good-elite.

His relative vertical jumps though are fairly average. His agility test result was poor, as is his 3km time trial. Beep test is also a bit on the low side of average.

When it comes to absolute jump height, Leslie tested very well for the vert jumps. As you'd expect for a 199cm guy. Top 4 in standing, top 10 in running. Interestingly enough, Kade can actually jump higher (absolute height) than he can when it comes to a running jump. That's not really a put down for Jack. More just highlighting Kade's athleticism.

Overall, no real cause for concern while he has some truly elite qualities. You can build on things like endurance over AFL pre-seasons. The poor agility test results don't worry me too much, as he seemed to move quite well in his highlights.

To give you some perspective, the skinnies, hand-span, weight/height and 20m sprint all range from good-elite.

His relative vertical jumps though are fairly average. His agility test result was poor, as is his 3km time trial. Beep test is also a bit on the low side of average.

When it comes to absolute jump height, Leslie tested very well for the vert jumps. As you'd expect for a 199cm guy. Top 4 in standing, top 10 in running. Interestingly enough, Kade can actually jump higher (absolute height) than he can when it comes to a running jump. That's not really a put down for Jack. More just highlighting Kade's athleticism.

Overall, no real cause for concern while he has some truly elite qualities. You can build on things like endurance over AFL pre-seasons. The poor agility test results don't worry me too much, as he seemed to move quite well in his highlights.

Thanks Sunny. The only one I worry about is his lack of agility but the rest is very promising.

Looks good.

Gonna be interesting how fast he can develop in terms of our premiership window, in 3 years (hopefully 2) we should be right up there. At that stage Warnock will be 33 and Bock will be 34 and I assume retired. Thompson will only get better and perhaps an AA CHB, but with most teams now plaing 3 if not 2 power forwards, who steps up to the FB position?

The suns rate Tape, and I'll go with them on that playing an Enright type role, but at 191cm he may find the going tough on a Ben Reid or Jake Carlisle. I like Steven May's competitive streak and strength but again, is only at 190 cm. Clay Cameron is developing nicely from what I've seen this preseason and is only gonna get stronger, but this guy Leslie is a beast of a kid and could be our man to help out Thompson. Took a bit of a risk with pick 20 but I've got a good feeling this could be an absolute masterstroke from Scotty Clayton.

Gonna be interesting how fast he can develop in terms of our premiership window, in 3 years (hopefully 2) we should be right up there. At that stage Warnock will be 33 and Bock will be 34 and I assume retired. Thompson will only get better and perhaps an AA CHB, but with most teams now plaing 3 if not 2 power forwards, who steps up to the FB position?

The suns rate Tape, and I'll go with them on that playing an Enright type role, but at 191cm he may find the going tough on a Ben Reid or Jake Carlisle. I like Steven May's competitive streak and strength but again, is only at 190 cm. Clay Cameron is developing nicely from what I've seen this preseason and is only gonna get stronger, but this guy Leslie is a beast of a kid and could be our man to help out Thompson. Took a bit of a risk with pick 20 but I've got a good feeling this could be an absolute masterstroke from Scotty Clayton.

Welcome to the board. As this being your first post we can only assume you are Jacks father?

Jokes :p

I hope you are right about him. Certainly has the body for it

Leslie back to full training.
Exciting youngsters Kade Kolodjashnij and Sean Lemmens have firmly cemented themselves as senior AFL football players, and their fellow 2013 draftee is showing promising signs he might not be far off the pace.

First round selection, Jack Leslie has succeeded from having a modified training program, with the club’s high performance staff opting to manage the developing 18-year-old into the always-testing AFL environment, given his transition from junior football.

Forgot about Jack and his ideal body size. All of a sudden with May looking the goods, Rory and Warnock fit, Schadey lurking in the NEAFL and a bunch of running HB's who can also be accountable for their opponent, our backline does not look so bad
Absolutely. In that vid he appears almost as tall as Josh Fraser, certainly taller than Bocky who is a good height for a KPD, and Jack's getting towards Bocky's build already. The kid is a unit. Moves really fast and appears quite agile for a bloke his size. Looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Prior to the season one of the biggest question marks on Gold Coast's list was its lack of tall defenders. When swingman Sam Day went down in the pre-season, they were even more exposed. But then Jack Leslie walked in. Leslie, 22, is in his fourth season at the club and has made incredible strides this season. Playing in place of injured Rory Thompson, Leslie manned West Coast's Jack Darling for much of Saturday's game and kept him goalless. Standing alongside co-captain Steven May, he's looking more comfortable each week, so much so that coach Rodney Eade says he'll keep his spot even when Thompson is available again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back