Delisted Jack Lonie

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicked the winner against the Hawks . He could have kicked a bag but ended up with 3 goals and 5 behinds . Although i think all of his behinds were quick snaps and not set shots . His defensive play is elite imo .

Don’t Panic !!

Out of the senior side, out of contract, and seemingly out of luck.
It was July of 2018, and for young Saint Jack Lonie, what had once beckoned as a promising AFL career looked to be unceremoniously playing out its final chapter in the VFL.
The then-21-year-old had just played out a forgettable draw against Coburg, while his St Kilda teammates were no match for Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval.

For years, Lonie had dreamt of forging a career as an AFL footballer, but now his future in the red, white and black he’d grown up barracking for looked in doubt.
Having already been dropped twice throughout 2018, Lonie’s lifeline came in the form of a senior call-up in Round 17 to face the Blues under Friday night lights.
His impact on the stats sheet – like many pure small forwards – is rarely sizeable, but Lonie’s ability to cause headaches for opposition backmen is almost unparalleled.

And it was no different on that fateful Friday night.
The speedy livewire hunted the Blues like a man possessed, piling on nine tackles and a goal that couldn’t be ignored.
Soreness forced him to miss a week later, but he was back with a vengeance against the Giants in Round 19.

Three consecutive bags of two goals reaffirmed his talents, before a four-goal haul against Hawthorn showed the footy world what he was capable of.
Lonie signed on to his beloved boyhood club last October to the tune of two years, and the dynamic goalkicker is already repaying the faith.

A match-defining tackle on Essendon big man Michael Hurley was the impetus for the Saints’ Round 2 win and emblematic of the No. 13’s incredible resurrection.
And it was the little man’s elite pressure that again proved critical in Round 4, first pinning Hawthorn’s David Mirra to earn a free kick before nailing the clutch set shot to pinch back the lead.

In a near best-on-ground showing, the left-footer peppered the goals all afternoon, posting a tally of 3.5.
Inaccuracy aside, Lonie’s football nous and goal sense were clearly on display, coach Alan Richardson later admitting “he could’ve had an amazing day”.

Jack has been one of the players of the year so far imo . His defensive efforts have been elite and he seems to have got rid of the struggles he had last year for kicking at goals . He really has belief in himself these days which is great to see especially when you think how close he might have come to be delisted last year . His late burst of form last season saved himself and he has continued on in great fashion this year.

Don’t Panic !!

Hoping the best for my little buddy. He has done us all proud this year and proved that the last 5 qeeks of 2018 are sustainable.

He became a very important cog in the wheel this year and he will be missed. It upset our whole balance when he went down.

All the best Lonedog. Speedy recovery pal

Hope he gets back soon. Missed his fwd pressure straight away. Been a great contributor in 2019!

Livewire Jack Lonie is eyeing off a long-awaited return to senior football in the coming weeks.
The dynamic small forward returned to training this week after injuring his knee in Round 6, and he continues to attack his rehab with professionalism and maturity.

MY BOY IS BACK!!!!

Started off the season playing his best footy and might have had a high finish in the Trevor Barker award until he suffered a knee injury . He missed about 10 games , came back but had lost his fitness and had less impact . Still , looking forward to see how he goes next year .

Started off the season playing his best footy and might have had a high finish in the Trevor Barker award until he suffered a knee injury . He missed about 10 games , came back but had lost his fitness and had less impact . Still , looking forward to see how he goes next year .

Yep. Pretty happy with my boy's year. Ad you say he lost momentum and maybe a bit of strength in his legs. Overall a step fwd. Hopefully he builds on that over the summer and comes out swinging next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until he got injured i thought he might have made the All Australian squad , not the team but at least the squad . Thats how well he was playing . He went from a fringe player to one of the first picked . At the start of the year how many of us thought we would be saying i hope Lonie is back soon . He proved all his doubters wrong . As you said lets hope next year is even better.

Jack Lonie
Career
Games: 63
Goals:
Games: 13
Goals:

697684-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Jack Lonie started 2019 like a house on fire through his harrowing presence, but was forced to the sidelines after injuring his knee against Adelaide.
The lively forward returned in Round 17, bringing his tally up to 13 goals for the year.
While small in stature, Lonie packed a terrific punch at ground level, constantly putting his opponents under the pump and doing the little things to put the Saints on the scoreboard.

17 people are talking about this

BEST GAME:
After a quiet return game against the Cats, Lonie came out all guns blazing against the Western Bulldogs with four goals – three which were kicked in the first term – to hand the Saints and Brett Ratten a memorable win.

As always with Lonie, consistency is his issue. He improves our forwardline significantly when he’s on.

I’m hoping that having Butler in such good form will take off some pressure and divert attention away from Lonie and we’ll see some back to back good games.

As always with Lonie, consistency is his issue. He improves our forwardline significantly when he’s on.

I’m hoping that having Butler in such good form will take off some pressure and divert attention away from Lonie and we’ll see some back to back good games.
My boy Lonie seems like a barometer for our side, when he’s on we are usually winning. His performances last year against the Hawks and Dogs are prime examples of this. As you said, problem is putting it together consistently.

Jack is forming a great partnership with Higgins , Gresham and Butler . Played well again against GWS including an early contebder for goal of the year . Wouldn’t be surprised to see it as one of the final three goals up for the prise at the end of the year . Simply an incredible goal that I still can’t worked out how he got it through from where he was and the pressure he was under .
Has started the year in great form.

After being dropped for the Hawks game , Jack played for Sandy .
VFL03SaBH21DT86958300.JPG

Prior to last week’s omission, Lonie had played every match for the Saints in 2021. Photo: AFL Photos.
A textbook small forward performance – complete with three majors – for Sandringham could see Jack Lonie rejoin the Saints’ ranks come Saturday.

Lonie’s manic pressure inside the forward arc was particularly impressive, with his harrowing presence earning praise from coach Jake Batchelor.

His pressure was through the roof. The chasing, the harassing, the scrapping was very good to watch.
- Jake Batchelor.
The No. 13 rounded out his day with an additional 22 disposals,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back