Recommitted Jack Lukosius [Extended to 2022]

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The point still stands though. By all reports Lukosius is an intelligent kid with drive and direction. Theres talk that hes not your typical "homesick" kid. He could just as easily end up in Melbourne.

If you want to leave one team that's not seen to be on top of its game just yet, it's not a fait accompli youd be enamoured by two other teams in the same boat - regardless of where you're from.
You're drawing a long bow comparing Gold Coast to Port and the Crows although if you talk like that enough you try and turn the perception into reality. Sure not going that great but remember this Richmond finished 13th the year before a premiership. Not to mention we finished only a couple % below you. Does that mean Hawthorn are not a destination club too.

TalkingFootyNow1223

Stay Calm... Its Just A Game... SweetFA..
Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Port are in trouble, correct. We have a problem with our senior coach this is a very small problem that in hindsight will be fixed end of next year. Crows are in a crisis, understatement. No coach, disgruntled players (not just unhappy they are leaving), management going backwards, past players turning things from bad to worse. The list goes on. This is not a 1, 2, 3 year fix, Lukosius if as smart as people say he is and the passion for a challenge he endures, the best place for him could be the Crows. Fogarty is a roaming forward/link up mid/HF role player, Himmy B will also play the same kind of role minus the movement up the ground but lacks the potential to be potent. Walkers on his last legs, Betts is gone, Lynch has a couple left in him but not as affective or dangerous, Jenkins is going going gone, Milera will play mid/forward pocket, not to sure who is left but point is. Lukosius would slot in with out a problem, the exodus of players leaving will 1 free up the salary cap especially if Crouch goes and 2 will have plenty of picks to play with unless they push for Lukosius Crouch trade. Port have too many future options in the forward positions would be robbing peter to play paul.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You're drawing a long bow comparing Gold Coast to Port and the Crows although if you talk like that enough you try and turn the perception into reality. Sure not going that great but remember this Richmond finished 13th the year before a premiership. Not to mention we finished only a couple % below you. Does that mean Hawthorn are not a destination club too.
Think you've missed the point a little mate. Onfield you guys and Adelaide are streets ahead of GCS. I'm talking off field. I think most would agree it seems both Port and Adelaide may have some issues going on behind the scenes. I have no idea how you compare to each other but the perception is there. If a kid like Lukosius wants out running head first into more turmoil may not be as appealing as it is for other kids wanting out with the option to head home.

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Think you've missed the point a little mate. Onfield you guys and Adelaide are streets ahead of GCS. I'm talking off field. I think most would agree it seems both Port and Adelaide may have some issues going on behind the scenes. I have no idea how you compare to each other but the perception is there. If a kid like Lukosius wants out running head first into more turmoil may not be as appealing as it is for other kids wanting out with the option to head home.
I think you'll find that the main issues with Port come from a large group of very vocal "supporters" (the sack Hinkley crowd). I expect this group are likely to be the same people who formed (the Sack Williams crowd). I think you'll find internally its not too bad but the Crows propoganda arm (The Advertiser, 5AA and others) have been pedaling the view that Port have no cash and doing what they normally do (destabilisation agenda).
Now saying all that I don't agree with a fair few decisions that have been made and some on-field strategies but I'm willing to concede these guys are professionals and cut them some slack because if someone comes and tells me how to my job with no insight I get pretty pissed off.
I don't think turmoil is the right word for what's happening at either club because at The Crows the penny has finally dropped that they are regressing and to their credit they are doing something about it. As for Port it looks worse than what it is and remember this Hartlett was going cut price to North Melbourne then Essendon - where is he now, in Ports leadership group.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well the Crows will most ikely finish bottom 4 in 2020, so they would at least have a low enough pick to help get Luko across.
every chance. I actually don't mind the strategy of loading up on picks this year to go to the draft - we have traded / are trading out a number of old players and then a couple like Keath and Greenwood so will end up with a number of 2nd rounders + pick 4 - should bring in some more good youth to compliment the players we have. Then next year make a big play for Lukosius and maybe..just maybe a big free agency play for B Grundy IF he still has not signed on with Collingwood

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
every chance. I actually don't mind the strategy of loading up on picks this year to go to the draft - we have traded / are trading out a number of old players and then a couple like Keath and Greenwood so will end up with a number of 2nd rounders + pick 4 - should bring in some more good youth to compliment the players we have. Then next year make a big play for Lukosius and maybe..just maybe a big free agency play for B Grundy IF he still has not signed on with Collingwood

The other day Damo Barrett said Crows fans wouldn't cop/accept a rebuild, which I think is totally insulting and condescending to the IQ of Adelaide supporters.

Reading your club board on a regular basis, many Crows fans are happy if not very supportive of Adelaide having a couple of lean yeats on field and reload/rebuild the list with some quality kids/youth.

At minimum, the Suns would want a top 3 pick for Lukosius next year (if he wants to leave) and least the Crows seem positioned to be in a place where they can get that pick (Or at least trade up for it)

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The other day Damo Barrett said Crows fans wouldn't cop/accept a rebuild, which I think is totally insulting and condescending to the IQ of Adelaide supporters.

Reading your club board on a regular basis, many Crows fans are happy if not very supportive of Adelaide having a couple of lean yeats on field and reload/rebuild the list with some quality kids/youth.

At minimum, the Suns would want a top 3 pick for Lukosius next year (if he wants to leave) and least the Crows seem positioned to be in a place where they can get that pick (Or at least trade up for it)
Damo Barrett is a muppet. Generally what he says - go with the exact opposite and you get close to the mark

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1572938354985.png

Jack Lukosius is on holiday with best mate Connor Rozee
Get into his ear Connor and help get him to Port Adelaide, if he wants to come back to SA

MadMaxx

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2003
Shelbyville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Jack Lukosius is on holiday with best mate Connor Rozee
Get into his ear Connor and help get him to Port Adelaide, if he wants to come back to SA

Means less than you might hope. Hawk fans were stalking Jaeger and Coniglio's insta's, and saying the same thing (for about 2 years).

Money is the only thing that really talks (with the possible exception of family)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
FWIW, listening to Ben King's presser, it looks like it's only a question of time when Luko re-signs with Suns.

Great news if it happens. You also have to wonder given the current embarrassing state of both SA Clubs that Luko isn't better off staying at Gold Coast for on field success, especially given their generous assistance package from the AFL. Play their cards right and keep all their young guns, Gold Coast could be playing finals possibly by 2022.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Means less than you might hope. Hawk fans were stalking Jaeger and Coniglio's insta's, and saying the same thing (for about 2 years).

Money is the only thing that really talks (with the possible exception of family)
In most cases family is an easy reason.

Not many leave to be closer to family on less $

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
If anyone were to come back for family it would've been Ben King.
No one was willing to match 600k for him so he stays.

Its all money and opportunity nowadays.
Of course, football career is short. Fans last maybe 10- 15 years and everything is over after that. No guarantee going back to Adelaide or Melbourne early will be success. Tom Lynch get paid over with GCS and still get a flag with Richmond.
Same with Prestia 2011-2016 with GCS.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
If anyone were to come back for family it would've been Ben King.
No one was willing to match 600k for him so he stays.

Its all money and opportunity nowadays.
Jake Niall from the age who is pretty well respected wrote that

Ben king accepts upwards of 500k to remain in the gc
Would probably have got more than 700k to return to Melbourne.
He doesn’t talk in certainties (unlike you) but indicates that he actually stayed for less.

Back