Recommitted Jack Lukosius [Extended to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the line in the sand title might belong to Izak in that group. He was the 1st strong show of faith. Then i think the housemates and friends King and Luko probably decided together but King got the priority from the club and then Luko's contract followed. 3 mammoth re-signings.

Probably isn't a firm line in the sand moment ala Travis Boak at Port a decade ago, but i reckon if The Suns have a decent period of retention and performance the building blocks have probably been:

David Swallow...then Touk...then Ainsworth...then Stewie Dew coming in and trying to implement the best version of the Bloods Culture as he can to set them up as a CLUB...then Rankine...then King...then Luko.

If they make a fist of the next 10 year period, i think that's the heart n soul group making timeline.

Not counting admin stuff.

What are GC fans opinions?
It's pretty easy. There was a s***t pre-Evans and Evans time. With more resources Evans brought new personnel at all levels, new facilities, extra welfare, development staff, new coaches, performance team, new stadium deal - all this creating a new environment.

No doubt Witts and Swallow long commitment 10 months ago was one of the key moments followed by re-signing Miller, Bowes, Ainsworth, Rankine, Brodie, King, Luko. In total, 22 players re-signed within the last 12 months.

It's pretty easy. There was a s***t pre-Evans and Evans time. With more resources Evans brought new personnel at all levels, new facilities, extra welfare, development staff, new coaches, performance team, new stadium deal - all this creating a new environment.

No doubt Witts and Swallow long commitment 10 months ago was one of the key moments followed by re-signing Miller, Bowes, Ainsworth, Rankine, Brodie, King, Luko. In total, 22 players re-signed within the last 12 months.

Yeah i know about the off field Club stuff and yes it is absolutely crucial.

I was more talking about the playing group stuff. And i forgot big Wittsy. Been a fabulous recruit and def a heart n souler.

Sounds familiar.... Jack Martin... cough...cough
Except the Suns were asking way over the odds for Martin, who’s done nothing much in his career to warrant such a high trade cost.

Except the Suns were asking way over the odds for Martin, who’s done nothing much in his career to warrant such a high trade cost.
Do you think tom Lynch, Prestia done a lot for GC before moving to Richmond.

In your opinion, not the Suns who’ve invested hundreds of thousands of $$$ into him before he’s even entered his prime years as a footballer. People seem to really overrate the value for first rounders. The average career games played by a player picked in the first round is about 85. Jack has already played more than that (97) and is still only 24 years old. Easily worth at least a late first rounder using this barometer of performance.
In any case it was up to Carlton to make the trade work, not the Suns.

Do you think tom Lynch, Prestia done a lot for GC before moving to Richmond.
Prestia had a proven body of work under his belt before his knee injury, and Lynch was a former AA, club champion and club captain, so... yes?

In your opinion, not the Suns who’ve invested hundreds of thousands of $$$ into him before he’s even entered his prime years as a footballer. People seem to really overrate the value for first rounders. The average career games played by a player picked in the first round is about 85. Jack has already played more than that (97) and is still only 24 years old. Easily worth at least a late first rounder using this barometer of performance.
In any case it was up to Carlton to make the trade work, not the Suns.
Games played is not a barometer on performance. If it was, we would have traded Jarryd Blair for a first round pick years ago.
As it stands on actual performance, Martin is basically a slightly worse version of Will Hoskin-Elliott at the same age, who was traded for a second round pick. Martins output in his career to date, doesn’t warrant a first round pick, period. I’m sure that Carlton would have tried to make the trade work if GC had actually been reasonable about it, but they could afford to lose him for nothing given their concession package, so lucky Carlton I guess.
Anyway, this thread is about Lukosious, not Martin, so I’d rather not say anymore on it.

Tom Lynch was your captain, are you insane?
Not every captain is a good captain, Lynch and May only get it after ablett request to go home. Espcially it is co - captain with May. So is that mean 50/ 50 percent.

Not every captain is a good captain, look at Gary ablett. Espcially it is co - captain with May who both have injuries when they captain.
Lol
Yeh, what did Gary Ablett ever achieve before being wooed up to the fresh and shiny new little franchise, in an area that cannot maintain any sporting team in any code ever.
Ablett was the best player in the comp, Lynch an All Australian and highly recognised young gun key forward.
Every team in the country would have taken a bullet to the head for either of those players.
May is recognised as a s**t person, only Melbourne concerned themselves with his signature.
You don’t know what you’re on about.

Lol
Yeh, what did Gary Ablett ever achieve before being wooed up to the fresh and shiny new little franchise, in an area that cannot maintain any sporting team in any code ever.
Ablett was the best player in the comp, Lynch an All Australian and highly recognised young gun key forward.
Every team in the country would have taken a bullet to the head for either of those players.
May is recognised as a s**t person, only Melbourne concerned themselves with his signature.
You don’t know what you’re on about.
Lol so are you, I did not ask you opinion and yet you reply, don't even know how to read. Blah blah blah this is a discussion forum. I believe you like to cut in other people conversation . No shame that not everybody want your opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prestia had a proven body of work under his belt before his knee injury, and Lynch was a former AA, club champion and club captain, so... yes?
Fair enough ;). So there is fair amount of risk Carlton taken by front loaded 2 million for 2 season for a player such as Martin, who you don't rate if he continue with this kind of performance for the next two year ?
If Martin is with Collingwood, would you rather Carlton paid 600k every season for 5 year or prefer them front loaded 2 million for the first two season with his inconsistent form strategyly.

Last edited:

This is pretty heart-warming to hear, even as a neutral fan.

Not just the the numbers, but the caliber of the players they are re-signing. I get the feeling they are going to really start pushing up the ladder in the next few years, and that’ll snowball into more extensions and hopefully a couple of free agents along to way too.

I think the line in the sand title might belong to Izak in that group. He was the 1st strong show of faith. Then i think the housemates and friends King and Luko probably decided together but King got the priority from the club and then Luko's contract followed. 3 mammoth re-signings.

Probably isn't a firm line in the sand moment ala Travis Boak at Port a decade ago, but i reckon if The Suns have a decent period of retention and performance the building blocks have probably been:

David Swallow...then Touk...then Ainsworth...then Stewie Dew coming in and trying to implement the best version of the Bloods Culture as he can to set them up as a CLUB...then Rankine...then King...then Luko.

If they make a fist of the next 10 year period, i think that's the heart n soul group making timeline.

Not counting admin stuff.

What are GC fans opinions?

Agree on the importance of Rankine. His extension got heavily undersold since it was during the season, he was not playing, and the Suns were well and truly off-Broadway by then.

But King was the most important to the fans.

So many Melbourne Media had it set in stone that he would be coming back to Melbourne, and we heard that ad infinitum since it was that time of year and he had played really well at the end of the season. Constant discussion of what it would take to get him this year, but he would cost less next year since he was out of contract. And on and on. Then it happened and confirmed a lot of what we had been hearing.

So for impact on the fans, it would be King.

Fair enough ;). So there is fair amount of risk Carlton taken by front loaded 2 million for 2 season for a player such as Martin, who you don't rate if he continue with this kind of performance for the next two year ?
If Martin is with Collingwood, would you rather Carlton paid 600k every season for 5 year or prefer them front loaded 2 million for the first two season with his inconsistent form strategyly.
I think Carlton are insane to be paying him that much. He’s a $500k player at absolute best, and even thats a stretch.

I think Carlton are insane to be paying him that much. He’s a $500k player at absolute best, and even thats a stretch.
Due to him with GCS from the start his wages always going to be a bit higher than other same years draftees, his managers also trying to extract as much for Martin and himself.

Fair to say that Carlton got itself into a bit of a bind, given we had money set aside for premium targets (Coniglio & Papley) after banking some of the TPP over the past two years. Neither player came so this front-ending is almost required, although it's not ideal.

I'm not in love with Gold Coast at the moment but am happy that they secured Lukosius.
Given they've been afforded riches never seen before, they now have the platform to launch from. Can't stuff it up again or it could get real ugly.

In a 'unkind' way (to teams St.Kilda, Adelaide and Port) it was good to see Rankine, then BKing and finally Lukosius sign on after the aforementioned teams thought it to be just a matter of another year before they get 'home'
In the same 'unkind' way, I guess plenty will be loving it, if Martin doesn't get to Carlton.

Good re-sign for GC, pity Lynch didn't show more balls and hang around.

I really hope they stick to their contracts. Josh Schache set a worrying example a while ago

To be fair to Schache, he had legit family reasons for coming home (I know a relative of his)

His old man does when he was young, and his mother was doing poorly health wise whilst he was playing at Brisbane.

The Lions looked after him very well, but he just had to come home for his family. He shouldn't be regarded as a villain by Brisbane Fans (Imho)

Good re-sign for GC, pity Lynch didn't show more balls and hang around.

He was there for 8 years, don't agree with his decision to go to Richmond, but he gave the Suns good service.

So Jack was annoyed with the fact Rozee was a hit in Adelaide with the fans. s**t that must be hard for an AFL player having people idolise them. Stay in GC footy is ****ed regardless of the state or team.

And to the guy that said Lynch had no balls, Lynch played his heart out and moved on for the chance to win a GF. He has now done that, show some respect to one of our games best and genuine key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back