Golumless

A bigger deal out west.
Jul 12, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
Luko as a CHF that hits up Thilthorpe would be pretty mouth-watering.

On paper, yes, however I reckon it'd end a partnership that is worse than the sum of it parts. After all, it falls into the likely trap in Thilthorpes profile, that he's 200+cm/100+kg, he should be the deep forward. Really, that wastes a lot of Thilthorpes best assets.

The thing with Thilthorpe for him to reach the heights he teased this year (something Adelaide's long term premiership hopes depend on) is that he needs to be the CHF. The roaming forward who is effectively allowed to do what he wants (after all, Thilthorpe does boast a monster tank, and a fair bit of aggression/x-factor on top of his size). Luko, if he's a key forward, cuts his lunch so to say as he's also reliant on being a roaming key forward.

We do need to find a partner for Thilthorpe, though likelihood we'd be better served going in the other direction. Looking for, or developing a deeper forward who can survive off being a leadup option, or a contested marking threat.

At this point, if we were to go for Luko, we'd be better looking at committing him to being a tall winger, or half back. There is certainly value in chasing him for those particular roles.

Last edited:

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On paper, yes, however I reckon it'd end a partnership that is worse than the sum of it parts. After all, it falls into the likely trap in Thilthorpes profile, that he's 200+cm/100+kg, he should be the deep forward. Really, that wastes a lot of Thilthorpes best assets.

The thing with Thilthorpe for him to reach the heights he teased this year (something Adelaide's long term premiership hopes depend on) is that he needs to be the CHF. The roaming forward who is effectively allowed to do what he wants (after all, Thilthorpe does boast a monster tank, and a fair bit of aggression/x-factor on top of his size). Luko, if he's a key forward, cuts his lunch so to say as he's also reliant on being a roaming key forward.

We do need to find a partner for Thilthorpe, though likelihood we'd be better served going in the other direction. Looking for, or developing a deeper forward who can survive off being a leadup option, or a contested marking threat.
It's not the 90s they'll both be running up and down the field.

Golumless

A bigger deal out west.
Jul 12, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
It's not the 90s they'll both be running up and down the field.

Of course they will be, however, both styles of forwards have different roles. Your roaming forwards are given more freedom to impact the contest, your deeper forwards are expected to be the front of the line, stretch an opposition defence and to own those deeper areas. Any effective forward line combination is going to have two key forwards with a clear definition of who is expected to do what, and to have the skills to be effective at it.

In this case, you've got two forwards to be reach the absolute heights of their games, need to be playing an almost identical style, and the more talented forward is the one being limited in this move.

At this point, if we were to go for Luko, we'd be better looking at committing him to being a tall winger, or half back. There is certainly value in chasing him for those particular roles.

Last edited:

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course they will be, however, both styles of forwards have different roles. Your roaming forwards are given more freedom to impact the contest, your deeper forwards are expected to be the front of the line, stretch an opposition defence and to own those deeper areas. Any effective forward line combination is going to have two key forwards with a clear definition of who is expected to do what, and to have the skills to be effective at it.

In this case, you've got two forwards to be reach the absolute heights of their games, need to be playing an almost identical style, and the more talented forward is the one being limited in this move.

I'd rather see Thilthorpe being a Hawkins style athletic monster that owns the forward half and kicks three a game than a Riewoldt type that gets 17 touches. Lukosius isn't suited to playing deep but if you wanted to release Thilthorpe then Luko can rotate onto the wing like you said. If you really want to utilise Thilthorpe for his agility and contest breaking then I guess you'd make him a ruck.

Anyway I'll stop derailing. Excited to watch both talents next year.

Crow till I die

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he was to leave what would it take to get him out of Gold Coast?
Depends what leverage the club he chooses has and how hard and determined he is to get to that club. If that club finishes below GC and near enough to the bottom, they will get him for less as they have the PSD threat. If not, GC would no doubt play hardball and a low 1st round pick or 2 x 1sts would be around the mark I am guessing

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad